• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Repotting question

When repotting a plant, is it necessary to remove all buds/flowers and pods? I have 4 habs and 4 tabasco plants I really have to get repotted, and my reason for asking this is my tobasco is steadily producing more and more pods but is damn near root bound.

rds040800 said:
When repotting a plant, is it necessary to remove all buds/flowers and pods? I have 4 habs and 4 tabasco plants I really have to get repotted, and my reason for asking this is my tobasco is steadily producing more and more pods but is damn near root bound.

Less stress on the transplant if you remove them; I'd at least remove the pods.

I'm a little unorthodoxed when it comes to transplanting plants, especially rootbound seedlings from the nursery. I use to be really careful with the roots, and try not to damage them, disturb them as little as possible.

That was in my younger days. Now I really disturb the roots. I grab the transplant and split the bottom roots in half. I go around the outside of the rootball pushing, tearing, ripping them until they are free from the original container shape. The ones that I do the most are the ones that are at the bottom, especially if there are a lot of them. I will split them into 4 pieces, and untangle parts of them (not genteelly).

None of my plants have died from this treatment, and actually seem to grow bigger, are more healthy, then when I use to be so careful with the plants.

I have never worried about being careful with roots on plants, other than an orchid one time. I decided to pull pods off 2 of my tobascos and leave them on the other 2 and see what happens.

I re-pot quite often and never worry about buds or pods. If you have a good rootball, its easy to transplant without any serious shock.

Matt Berry said:
I'm a little unorthodoxed when it comes to transplanting plants, especially rootbound seedlings from the nursery. I use to be really careful with the roots, and try not to damage them, disturb them as little as possible.

That was in my younger days. Now I really disturb the roots. I grab the transplant and split the bottom roots in half. I go around the outside of the rootball pushing, tearing, ripping them until they are free from the original container shape. The ones that I do the most are the ones that are at the bottom, especially if there are a lot of them. I will split them into 4 pieces, and untangle parts of them (not genteelly).

None of my plants have died from this treatment, and actually seem to grow bigger, are more healthy, then when I use to be so careful with the plants.

I agree, when transplanting I start from the bottom center and flare the roots into a 360 radial about half way up the root mass.

Removing the pods lets the plant divert more energy into establishing a larger root system which leads to faster growth.

Oops! Silly me, I wasn't aware you were supposed to remove things when you repot. I'll probably start having problems now that I know.

BTW, "most" plants I repot haven't formed pods yet (unless I get lazy and slow on the needed transfer) since I've been jumping from the 16oz cups to the #5 pot. Next year I intend to step up gradually in size and see if the plants benefit as noted by others here. :)

I have tried it all like most have said. Just pop them out and put them in new dirt. I used to be very careful with seedlings. Yet found the ones i yanked out and literally threw into the side of my friends garden somehow got their roots in the ground and started growing. So yeah, doesnt really matter what you do, they will grow. Although I have had a few potted plants not spread their roots out from being too gentle potting them up.

Silver_Surfer said:
BTW, "most" plants I repot haven't formed pods yet (unless I get lazy and slow on the needed transfer) since I've been jumping from the 16oz cups to the #5 pot. Next year I intend to step up gradually in size and see if the plants benefit as noted by others here. :)

I can say that I have noticed a significant difference in the ones that went straight to a large pot as opposed to ones that have been gradually potted up. My Bhut that was moved to a 6in wide pot then to a 10in wide pot is taller than the plant in a 5 gal bucket, and when I say taller, thats with both pots sitting side by side.

rds040800 said:
I can say that I have noticed a significant difference in the ones that went straight to a large pot as opposed to ones that have been gradually potted up. My Bhut that was moved to a 6in wide pot then to a 10in wide pot is taller than the plant in a 5 gal bucket, and when I say taller, thats with both pots sitting side by side.

Yeah, that seems to be the accepted method here and maybe next year using that technique will improve my efforts.

My plants always respond better to gradual increase in pot size. Everyone seemed to think I was crazy until this year:)

I will make sure I gradually increase pot size next time, with the exception of tabascos, since they apparently grow like crazy anyway. My habs I just repotted 2 days ago went from dropping flowers to setting pods, now I just hope they stay.

Out of 2 serranos I have one was potted up slowly the other went straight from the 4" pot to a 10 gallon pot. The funny thing is the one that went straight from the 4" to it's permanent home is way ahead of the one that was potted up more slowly. The one that was gradually stepped up isn't nearly as bushy or as tall as the one that just had the one step.

Maybe different cultivars respond differently to being potted up, and serranos don't like it.

Anything I had that was an "early producer" like jalapenos, went into big pots. My bhuts, habs, and scotch bonnets are being potted up except for one of each being in a bigger pot, and the ones being potted up are alot better off, from my experience this year.

Matt Berry said:
Out of 2 serranos I have one was potted up slowly the other went straight from the 4" pot to a 10 gallon pot. The funny thing is the one that went straight from the 4" to it's permanent home is way ahead of the one that was potted up more slowly. The one that was gradually stepped up isn't nearly as bushy or as tall as the one that just had the one step.

Maybe different cultivars respond differently to being potted up, and Serrano don't like it.

I've noticed the same thing, but there are a few things to be cautious about when jumping to a bigger pot rather than gradually stepping up. Although the top of the plants grow quite a bit larger than those in smaller pots, the root system doesn't really match the growth of the upper part. I found this out when I was repotting some of my Serrano's from a really cheap crappy soil to a quality potting soil. You may be able to overcome this by using a root stimulator like PlantProd's 10-52-10 for a few waterings, but I haven't tried it yet. I do know that it really perks things up when using it on seedlings.

The serrano on the left was potted up 2 weeks before the serrano on the right. Everything else was kept the same. It's a pretty noticeable difference.

serranodifferences.jpg

Root ball of the serrano on the left in picture above when being replanted into quality potting soil. I nearly lost the plant from that crappy ass soil. The root ball is virtually the same size as when it was potted up from the 4" planter.

serranorootball.jpg

You also have to be very careful on the amount of water you give it because the plant isn't big enough to use all the moisture the soil can hold when it's in a much larger pot. You need to water according to plant size, not pot size. The generally accepted practice is to put enough water into the pot so that it drips out of the drain holes in the bottom. Do that with a small plant in a larger pot and you'll kill the plant in the worst case, or start growing fungus at the very least.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just pointing out some of my experiences with jumping pot sizes. If we can get the roots to keep up with the plant we'd be laughing, especially those of us in the colder climates where the growing season is so short.

Blister said:
You also have to be very careful on the amount of water you give it because the plant isn't big enough to use all the moisture the soil can hold when it's in a much larger pot. You need to water according to plant size, not pot size. The generally accepted practice is to put enough water into the pot so that it drips out of the drain holes in the bottom. Do that with a small plant in a larger pot and you'll kill the plant in the worst case, or start growing fungus at the very least.

Very true, my well established plants get watered every evening until water begins to drain from the pot. This usually takes 3 applications of water (start at the head of the row with the watering routine of around 1/2 gallon and repeat 3 times). This gives all of the soil in the pot a chance to absorb the water, but it is hot here and cooler climates may not need this much.

The late transplants, 2.5 to 3 feet, that haven't developed as much both above and below ground only get water about every 3rd day with the same technique. Yesterday we got a really heavy downpour so they won't get watered again for about 5 days. Rain water outperforms my well water. ;)

Back