• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

flavor Reusing puree'd peppers in flavored vinegar

Well, the title really says it all. I'm wondering if its safe to reuse my puree'd peppers again. My entire recipe consists of taking a glass bottle, putting peppers to the brim and filling with vinegar and salt, then shaking and let sit in the refrigerator for 3 weeks, then pureeing it and straining the vinegar through the puree to make flavored vinegar. I was wondering if it would be safe to take those peppers, put them back in another jar and just add more vinegar and salt (and maybe more peppers). Any comments or suggestions? I'm open to changing my recipe if its unsafe since I dont boil anything or seal it. I do refrigerate it constantly, before and after blending and straining.

Sure you can, as alot of people just fill the same corked bottle with fresh vinegar as it gets depleted.

You have to be careful when using oil as some do when making homemade Giardiniere, as oil can become rancid over time...

GREG

Back