• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Rice thread: good stuff!

If i am not wrong a general rice thread is missing.
I can't say that i eat rice often (even less cooked, really rarely) nor that i know it well, but i like it.
For sure hot pepper doesn't hure here too.

I had a pack of black rice so for dinner i made the following:

• 200g black rice cempo hitam
  • a dried piri piri
  • cream , about 100g
  • gorgonzola, about 100g 
  • also some Crucolo (i needed it to thicken sauce... It's like Asiago but better)
  • speck, about 150g (i had some leftover for tomorrow pasta)
  • saffron
  • turmeric
  • paprika

First i soaked 2 hours rice as indicated.
Then cooked it for 40 mins in 500g water. I used just a bit of salt. I added also a crushed dried piri piri.

In the meantime i prepared the sauce. I mixed gorgonzola and cream, slowly warm up and melt it. Later i added some Crucolo to round and thicken the sauce.
Then add saffron, turmeric and paprika.
ibwqkUv2MtHejE.jpg

Some mold gorgonzola pieces remains... But it's not a bad thing!

Near the end i prepared speck, previously cut in strips:
iIp2MHR2N8J1t.jpg

In a pan with some evo i cooked it a bit, just to change the color. Then i added other evo after cooking.

That's the final dish:
i6tAMnQUMzMjj.jpg

I really liked it. Rice was poor on salt and that was perfect to pair with speck. Speck is the natural companion for gorgonzola and was really good with rice. Heat was low but barely noticeable around half of dish. When i ended the dish i was more hungry.

Btw post your rice stuff!

grantmichaels said:
Rice is my diet antichrist, so I'm better off observing, but nice looking dish ...

Rice is actually a very good diet food. Combined with a meat side (rice main) you already have a well balanced meal. Through a veggie side and you have brought up your fiber intake as well.

filmost said:

Rice is actually a very good diet food. Combined with a meat side (rice main) you already have a well balanced meal. Through a veggie side and you have brought up your fiber intake as well.

Maybe I should rephrase ...

"I need to eat very small portions of rice or I'm in trouble ..."

(and I don't like brown rice, it's quite unfortunate tasting (to me)) ...

grantmichaels said:

Maybe I should rephrase ...

"I need to eat very small portions of rice or I'm in trouble ..."

(and I don't like brown rice, it's quite unfortunate tasting (to me)) ...

What trouble is it? I have to ask b/c trouble with rice is so foreign to me lol.

Also I bet you would like red rice, called sekihan in Japanese. Usually made with red beans and served topped with salt and black sesame.

Osekihan-2.jpg

filmost said:

What trouble is it? I have to ask b/c trouble with rice is so foreign to me lol.

I tend to either gain weight easily from rice, or at least retain a lot of water after eating it ...

And then, there's the fact that it's kind of 'binding' ...

grantmichaels said:

I tend to either gain weight easily from rice, or at least retain a lot of water after eating it ...

And then, there's the fact that it's kind of 'binding' ...

By binding I assume you mean bowel issues? If that is the case rice is actually supposed to help with that because it is a low fiber food.

White rice is a fast carb which is great for post work out b/c it immediately is converted into energy (sugar) for your body to absorb, and is a good complement to post workout protein (weather as food or shake). Obviously you want to limit that b/c you want your body to use up stored energy, but that's where the idea of burning more calories (energy) than you put into your body comes from.

Really have no clue about weight gain from rice though. Perhaps it has to do with genetic makeup.  I think ethnic groups who eat rice as a staple vs as a side have a genetic predisposition to rice. e.g., Japanese people, specifically men, will usually super size their rice servings (too much for me personally, though I am not Japanese) and for the most part they are all fairly fit (not to say they are truly healthy in other aspects though).

Whatever works for you though!

Yeah, it's all good. Lots of other things to choose from, and I can have a little, or "some" ...

But if I have too much rice, it's likely to be an unhappy morning-after come weigh-in ...

The Hot Pepper said:
Can we close this now?

PIC 1 WON... again!

:lol:

Right? ... Killin' it practically at will ...

I'd like to see the misses, though ...

PIC never drops the daily driver ;) ...

Anyways, back to filmost ...

I missed the red rice picture when I first looked ...

Tell me more about this? ... I know the order in transit this way from Season with Spice has black sesame seeds, and when you say red beans, are they specific to J cuisine, or the red beans canned in the states? ...

THP got you covered, the beans are indeed Azuki.

The rice itself is a mixture of red rice---so called b/c it contains anthocyanin and not to be confused with brown rice---and sticky/glutinous (mochi) rice. It can all be cooked together in a rice cooker with the beans. Then when served you shake some black sesame and salt (usually a coarser salt) over the top. They can also be served as rice balls. It pairs very well with a clam based miso soup (asari miso shiru) or even just clam dashi or shiitake dashi.

This particular rice dish is usually served during festive occasions (red and white are festive colors in Japan compared with red and gold in China), but can often be found in bento (lunch boxes) as well.

Here are some more pics for you. The pic with the broken yellow stuff on top of the sekihan, that yellow stuff is chestnut.

blog_import_50648488e7891.jpg

1010154_pic1.jpeg

o0600045011451378015.jpg

01597-d5806.JPG

e8b5a4e9a3af.jpg

1010155_pic1.jpeg

I made baked beans with adzuki once (or twice). Very good bean! It goes so well with sweet, so baked beans suit it well.

And here's a chestnut rice dish, called kurigohan. Also similar served with black sesame and salt, although more often just black sesame. Also pairs well with a light miso or dashi.

2237.jpg

And I know this is a rice thread, but I can't resist posting a pic of this sweet potato chestnut mash (kurikinton). Makes a great side to the above rice dishes haha.

osechi2013hio6126.jpg

Okay let's see you make some of these now. ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
I made baked beans with adzuki once (or twice). Very good bean! It goes so well with sweet, so baked beans suit it well.

That is different! Though I can understand why it works ;-), it's the go to bean for sweets over here.
The Hot Pepper said:
Okay let's see you make some of these now. ;)

I made the kurikinton stuff for New Years, we only make it during new years b/c it is a PITA. Next time we make sekihan or kurigohan I'll snap some pics. :-D

Back