• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Rice thread: good stuff!

If i am not wrong a general rice thread is missing.
I can't say that i eat rice often (even less cooked, really rarely) nor that i know it well, but i like it.
For sure hot pepper doesn't hure here too.

I had a pack of black rice so for dinner i made the following:

• 200g black rice cempo hitam
  • a dried piri piri
  • cream , about 100g
  • gorgonzola, about 100g 
  • also some Crucolo (i needed it to thicken sauce... It's like Asiago but better)
  • speck, about 150g (i had some leftover for tomorrow pasta)
  • saffron
  • turmeric
  • paprika

First i soaked 2 hours rice as indicated.
Then cooked it for 40 mins in 500g water. I used just a bit of salt. I added also a crushed dried piri piri.

In the meantime i prepared the sauce. I mixed gorgonzola and cream, slowly warm up and melt it. Later i added some Crucolo to round and thicken the sauce.
Then add saffron, turmeric and paprika.
ibwqkUv2MtHejE.jpg

Some mold gorgonzola pieces remains... But it's not a bad thing!

Near the end i prepared speck, previously cut in strips:
iIp2MHR2N8J1t.jpg

In a pan with some evo i cooked it a bit, just to change the color. Then i added other evo after cooking.

That's the final dish:
i6tAMnQUMzMjj.jpg

I really liked it. Rice was poor on salt and that was perfect to pair with speck. Speck is the natural companion for gorgonzola and was really good with rice. Heat was low but barely noticeable around half of dish. When i ended the dish i was more hungry.

Btw post your rice stuff!

I usually do rice KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid. That means mostly steamed since i buy mostly upper shelf rice such as Koshihikari and other Japanese short grains. I normally only stray from Japanese or Korean short grain varieties when it comes to curry. I LOVES ME SOME JASMINE WITH CURRY!!!

Kare-Raisu aka Korean Curry Rice is stupid easy to make. Just follow the directions on a bag of Ottogi medium curry powder. I usually use less because its so high in sodium and add some of my own curry powder. Kick up the heat with whatever peppers you like. I use fresh green gochu and red gochu flakes..If you like hot Japanese style curry get the S&B Hot Golden curry roux. It looks kinda like a chocolate bar.

Add a little fish sauce to her recipe and use ghee if you have it instead of butter.
ChickenCurryRice_zps6zrznpp0.jpg

Wanna try something super simple. Just steam your rice and top with Katsou Fumi Furikake seasoning. Its a blend of smoked dried bonito, dried seaweed, sesame seeds, soy powder and a touch of sugar.
0001115207071_215X215__63554.1280864420.220.220.jpg

You wont believe how tasty this is for such a simple dish, I even eat it cold wrapped in a nori sheet almost like sushi. Short grain really works the best for this. Other rices are not usually sticky enough and wont have the correct flavor.
05b67c7f-452c-4592-a0ba-f6b00d87ea84_zpsjvf21moo.jpg

BTW if you have not tried it, 3 day old steamed rice (in the fridge) or frozen works best for fried rice. During the coldest and driest part of the winter just set a large pot of cooked rice outside to cool. Put cheese cloth or towel over the top so the excess moisture can escape. Use it the next day. It makes a huge different in fried rice especially if you like the Chinese restaurant texture. This is not as important if you like Japanese style fried rice which is usually more sticky and held together with some egg.

Ever wonder why homemade fried rice tastes nothing like the restaurant? Well you probably cant get your pan hot enough and you probably are not adding Oyster sauce. Good oyster sauce is what makes fried rice taste like fried rice. When buying oyster sauce make sure oyster extract is the first ingredient listed.

I use this one usually
Oyster-Sauce.jpg

This one is good too
oystersauce-620x349.jpg

Looks good! Is one of the pics your dish?

Yes the large white bowl of rice and curry is mine. The bowl of rice with furikake is mine also. I use the Ottogi curry powder occasionally with some additions like coconut water, fish sauce and usually more pepper powder. Sometimes i add vadouvan curry powder to the Ottogi. Vadouvan has spices not normally found it most curry powders except Jamaican. I buy the vadouvan from myspicesage but making your own is fairly simple. The hardest part is the fried shallots and fried garlic.

its not hard to make a similar Ottogi powder from scratch with a fraction of the salt. Its nothing more than the basic yellow curry and a thickener. You just make a roux with yellow curry powder and flour or simply thicken with a potato based starch. Even instant mashed taters work as a thickening agent.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I usually do rice KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid. That means mostly steamed since i buy mostly upper shelf rice such as Koshihikari and other Japanese short grains. I normally only stray from Japanese or Korean short grain varieties when it comes to curry. I LOVES ME SOME JASMINE WITH CURRY!!!

Kare-Raisu aka Korean Curry Rice is stupid easy to make. Just follow the directions on a bag of Ottogi medium curry powder. I usually use less because its so high in sodium and add some of my own curry powder. Kick up the heat with whatever peppers you like. I use fresh green gochu and red gochu flakes..If you like hot Japanese style curry get the S&B Hot Golden curry roux. It looks kinda like a chocolate bar.

Add a little fish sauce to her recipe and use ghee if you have it instead of butter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOWDJcHyIs

ChickenCurryRice_zps6zrznpp0.jpg

Wanna try something super simple. Just steam your rice and top with Katsou Fumi Furikake seasoning. Its a blend of smoked dried bonito, dried seaweed, sesame seeds, soy powder and a touch of sugar.
0001115207071_215X215__63554.1280864420.220.220.jpg

You wont believe how tasty this is for such a simple dish, I even eat it cold wrapped in a nori sheet almost like sushi. Short grain really works the best for this. Other rices are not usually sticky enough and wont have the correct flavor.
05b67c7f-452c-4592-a0ba-f6b00d87ea84_zpsjvf21moo.jpg

BTW if you have not tried it, 3 day old steamed rice (in the fridge) or frozen works best for fried rice. During the coldest and driest part of the winter just set a large pot of cooked rice outside to cool. Put cheese cloth or towel over the top so the excess moisture can escape. Use it the next day. It makes a huge different in fried rice especially if you like the Chinese restaurant texture. This is not as important if you like Japanese style fried rice which is usually more sticky and held together with some egg.

Ever wonder why homemade fried rice tastes nothing like the restaurant? Well you probably cant get your pan hot enough and you probably are not adding Oyster sauce. Good oyster sauce is what makes fried rice taste like fried rice. When buying oyster sauce make sure oyster extract is the first ingredient listed.

I use this one usually
Oyster-Sauce.jpg

This one is good too
oystersauce-620x349.jpg

Love that lady's videos....she has one from years back for kimchi using raw oysters I have been wanting to try. Easy simple to follow vids.

Been using those curry bars for 20 years or more...great stuff!!...We also use the flakes. I like the shrimp one on sushi rice as well.

Great looking curry dish....we put sliced bananas, chunck pineapple, and golden raisins on the side as toppings as well.

Great looking curry dish....we put sliced bananas, chunck pineapple, and golden raisins on the side as toppings as well.

I haven't done banana but i REALLY like pineapple in spicy curry. It works great in Thai style curries mainly but it is somewhat flexible for other styles. The Japanese add apple. I dont think it would adapt as well to Indian masalas.

For years i used nothing but S&B curry roux. I grew up eating it. I lived in Japan when premade curry sauce was getting very popular. Before then is was mostly restaurant fair only and not mainstream.

I put furikake on rice all the time. Even left over room temp rice. I love the stuff. Living in Misawa and Osan gave me a slightly different perspective on rice. Like many Asians, i like a lot of rice with my main dish. I really notice good quality rice that was prepared correctly. I don't mind the more sticky varieties but im not a huge fan of true sticky rice unless im making wine or deserts. :D

I dont think most American appreciate the really good top shelf rice except for maybe when they visit the local sushi bar. When i see someone call CalRose "sushi rice" i cringe. Its not even on the same map as Koshihikari or Hitomebore. You don't have to pay a fortune though for good rice. There are at least a couple Korean varieties that are really really good and cheap if your Asian market caters to Koreans.

I get this one for about the same price as Botan and a little less than Kukoho Rose pink label. Its excellent for the money. I found out it was the rice my 2 favorite Korean restaurants served.
KoreanRice_zpsxtarzsed.jpg

RheeChun brand is even cheaper and fairly good.

Wanna know how to cheat on cooking white rice?

Get a microwave rice cooker. Nordic-ware has a small one and a larger one. I have the small one and a larger one from another company.

Rinse your rice in cold water. Stickier varieties need more rinsing depending on if you like yours sticky or not. Basmati and Jasmine are fine with just a good single rinse.

Soak your rinsed rice in cold water for an hour or 2 before cooking. I cover mine with enough water to cover the first knuckle on my index finger.

2-2.5 cups of rinsed/soaked rice only takes about 12-15min in the microwave cooker. 5min on high and 7-10min on 50% power in a 1000-1100watt

Let it rest for 5-10 minutes after cooking then fluff it with a wet fork or spoon. Keeping a cup of water handy is all you need to keep it from sticking to your utensils

Put the lid back on the cooker and let it set a few more minutes..

Small adjustments to amount of water may be needed depending on age and type of rice but ive have never needed more water than 1 knuckle over white rice. You can get these microwave rice cookers for about $15 or less and some also have a veggie steamer basket which i never really use. It wont beat rice steamed the old fashion way but its as good or better than any cooked in a pot. Electric rice cookers are great but the cheap ones have not impressed me unless you are cooking for a good sized family and don't have $150-$200 (or more) to spend on a really good rice cooker. Then they are simply just convenient.

I use brown rice and so its nice a soft I cook for 5min then leave it so it soaks for an hour then cook like normal, that way its not chewee. Apparently one is supposed to soak the rice overnight before cooking, havent done that but since I have a rice cooker its easy to set for 5 min then set for whole grain after. 1cup rice, 2.5cups water. :)

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Wanna know how to cheat on cooking white rice?

Get a microwave rice cooker. Nordic-ware has a small one and a larger one. I have the small one and a larger one from another company.

Rinse your rice in cold water. Stickier varieties need more rinsing depending on if you like yours sticky or not. Basmati and Jasmine are fine with just a good single rinse.

Soak your rinsed rice in cold water for an hour or 2 before cooking. I cover mine with enough water to cover the first knuckle on my index finger.

2-2.5 cups of rinsed/soaked rice only takes about 12-15min in the microwave cooker. 5min on high and 7-10min on 50% power in a 1000-1100watt

Let it rest for 5-10 minutes after cooking then fluff it with a wet fork or spoon. Keeping a cup of water handy is all you need to keep it from sticking to your utensils

Put the lid back on the cooker and let it set a few more minutes..

Small adjustments to amount of water may be needed depending on age and type of rice but ive have never needed more water than 1 knuckle over white rice. You can get these microwave rice cookers for about $15 or less and some also have a veggie steamer basket which i never really use. It wont beat rice steamed the old fashion way but its as good or better than any cooked in a pot. Electric rice cookers are great but the cheap ones have not impressed me unless you are cooking for a good sized family and don't have $150-$200 (or more) to spend on a really good rice cooker. Then they are simply just convenient.

Fully agree.

I use a microwave cooker for single servings for when I decide to wok something up real quick, unexpectedly ...

If I'm going to make a whole batch of Asian I'll drag out the Zoji just to be able to set-it-and-forget-it, but you are totally correct - an automatic rice-maker's only effective if it has some sort of AI or "fuzzy logic" ...

Sous vide entrées and Zojirushi rice was the staple of my diet when I was single - mostly because I had like a 2-hour window where I could eat without affecting quality much ...

Cheers!

My larger Infuse MW rice cooker will easily handle 3-4 cups of dry rice. The small Nordic struggles with even 1 cup. Cabelas sells the larger Nordic rice cooker for $15. I like the Nordics because they use a totally different kind of plastic and they are made in the USA. At least my small one is made in USA. Im not 100% sure about the larger one. Target is supposed to carry them too but every time i look for them i cant find them in the store.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home-cabin/kitchen-dining/kitchen-accessories|/pc/104798880/c/104739480/sc/104472180/nordic-ware-rice-cooker/2262623.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fkitchen-accessories%2Fnordic-ware%2F_%2FN-1101291%2B1000004146%2FNe-1000004146%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104472180%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

dragonsfire said:
I use brown rice and so its nice a soft I cook for 5min then leave it so it soaks for an hour then cook like normal, that way its not chewee. Apparently one is supposed to soak the rice overnight before cooking, havent done that but since I have a rice cooker its easy to set for 5 min then set for whole grain after. 1cup rice, 2.5cups water. :)

If you like brown rice try red some time. It also needs a good soak more water and longer cook time. When it comes to brown i like brown basmati and spouted brown rice the best. The brown basmati goes especially well with beef, lamb or goat curries IMO. Pretty much any red meat curry that isnt sour.

My favorite rice is Kagayaki Select Koshihikari but i dont mind stickier rice. Tamaki Gold is also very good but harder to find

41DYBaUdoAL.jpg

Hitomebore is a very strong 2nd.

41swP-y6GXL.jpg

Any good Jasmine works for me too with one exception. Leftover cold jasmine is not nearly as good as a good short grain to me. Growing up in Japan it was common to have leftover rice the next day even for breakfast. We had a Japanese maid that was just a awesome cook. She moved to the states with her husband and opened a restaurant in Omaha not long after we came back too.

You can REALLY tell the difference in rice by eating some at room temp the following day. I could snack most of the day on good rice and some nori sheets or with a little furikake.

Basmati i only eat with Indian food and since i love Jasmine its the usual substitute for anything curry. Biryani would be the main exception. Got to have basmati for that or it aint Biryani, :D

lol, yes Nori sheets nice to snack on :)
Havent made Biryani in a grea many years, forgot about that. Used to dry fry the rice first at times.

Did Sushi a couple nights ago. Avocado filling, one roll I added dried tomato and red pepper with Chipotle. Added Coco nibs to the rice.
Couldn't find my roll mats, been too long since Ive made some. The Dip is a Yellow Hab sauce.
P1100842_Sushi-1500_zpstlospw1l.jpg

Filling one, I put coco nibs in the rice.
P1100836_Sushi-1000_zpsjxkzxgiy.jpg

Filling two, seasoning, tomato and red pepper powder.
P1100838_Sushi-1000_zpsya8zmxlw.jpg

P1100840_Sushi-1000_zpsgh1brjo4.jpg

Back