• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Right now I'm thinking this is my last year

Does it have to be Dawn dish detergent or could it be something like Ajax Anti-Bacterial orange dish detergent like I have next to the sink? I told my wife we needed Dawn the next time she goes grocery shopping. She said we have dish detergent right there. I told her it was for my peppers and she gave me "the look" :shocked:

Don't use antibacterial soap or anything with dyes or perfumes.
If the plants are outside then use a garden hose with good spray pressure to spray them off. I do this 3 or 4 times it seems to work well until ladybugs show up

I can't seem to get rid of mine either. I've use almost everything. Soap/oil/water spray, that diatomaceous earth stuff that I can't spell and have to look it up every time I want to write the dam name - nothing gets rid of them. They keep coming back.

Don't ladybugs scatter and fly away outside? How can you rely on that??

If you have to buy ladybugs, you can spray them with cola to prevent them from flying away but for me the ladybugs come on there own this time of year, I've got hundreds of larvae:)

POTAWIE said:
If you have to buy ladybugs, you can spray them with cola to prevent them from flying away but for me the ladybugs come on there own this time of year, I've got hundreds of larvae:)
Your lucky. I live in the Niagara area and haven't seen a ladybug or their larvae either yet.

Don't give up the cause; insects can never be conquered, but they can be controlled to tolerable numbers. Use one of the methods suggested above and give em hell.

No aphid problems here lately, but the ladybugs have just showed up in force. There's a new boss in town! :)

Neem Oil

I got this from Wikipedia, has anyone ever added a surfactant?

"For use as a bio-pesticide, pure Neem oil should be diluted at the rate of 1 teaspoon per quart, or 4 teaspoons per gallon of water (metric: 5.2 millilitres per litre) and used as a foliar spray or used as a soil drench at the rate of 1 liter per square meter of soil (3 ounces per square foot). Adding a surfactant greatly enhances its effectiveness. Ordinary liquid dishwashing soap may be used as a surfactant, added at the rate of 1 tablespoon per gallon."

Have you tried planting 'decoys' to get the aphids off the chillies?

Try getting one or more basil plants. Aphids absolutely love them (Aphids must be part italian... just like me!), and will crowd on the basil plant.

Then just throw the basil plant away, or give some people you don't like very much 'special pesto' :P

Don't give up. Currently battling with the little bastards myself, and it's a long campaign, but I'll cull the lot of them if I have to squish their heads in with paper clips (since all plants are in the office, going 'office medieval' on them) :lol:

I know growers, including myself who have used radishes as decoys but usually you're just creating another breeding ground for the buggers

I've been trying out SB Plant Invigorator this year on aphids, (since it's supposed to be pest controller, foliar feeder, mildewcide and can also probably do my taxes) but have only recently brought the spray solution to the office, so to early to tell.

I sprayed the Chocolate Sweet Pepper, and it seemed to control them in one dose, but now my Caribbean Red Habs seem to have caught the little green 'gems'.

My blueberries always tend to get an early summer infestation (these I can keep at home), and so far it's been a good product. Spray once a week tends to eliminate the vast majority of the little cretins, though I do have to keep the sprayings fairly regular to maintain the number of aphids down to negligible.

I do see a lot of little charred black aphid bodies all over the stems and branches after about 48 hours, and it warms my heart...:hell:

I'm having the same problem, but I'm keeping at it. I have had neem oil from the get go and had them in check, and laid of spraying for a week and they came back strong. So I got some green lacewing eggs because the larvae is suppose to crawl and eat hundreds of aphids a day. Problem is you can't continue to spray with neem or it will kill the eggs. Added 2000 eggs and started my squish attack. 1 week after adding eggs no larvae and aphids where taking over. I gave up on the eggs and started to neem them. Sprayed every plant head to foot 3 times a week and didn't seem them, but left town for 4 days and they are back. I'm considering lady bugs also, but read that they just fly away so was hoping to find larvae, but no luck yet. It is becoming a pain trying to get rid of those little bastards!!

Back