• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Right T5 bulbs for growing?

Can someone tell me what the 85cri G5 base means in this light description?

http://www.warehouse-lighting.com/products/54W-6500K-T5-85-CRI-G5-Base-High-Output__F54T5-fslsh-HO-fslsh-865.aspx

Are these the right bulbs for growing ? I want to change out my 4100k to 6500 k will these work?

Color rendering index. The wiki page is a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index

Basically, it's a measure of a light source's ability to render colors as they would appear under sunlight. The higher the number, the more accurate the color rendering. I'm not sure if it has any bearing whatsoever on predicting a particular lamp's appropriateness for plant growth. For example, the blue and red LED setups would, I imagine, have pretty awful CRI ratings, since green appears as black.

Color rendering index. The wiki page is a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index

Basically, it's a measure of a light source's ability to render colors as they would appear under sunlight. The higher the number, the more accurate the color rendering. I'm not sure if it has any bearing whatsoever on predicting a particular lamp's appropriateness for plant growth. For example, the blue and red LED setups would, I imagine, have pretty awful CRI ratings, since green appears as black.

Thanks so it sounds like I can use em.Its a very good price at the shops around here they charge $12-$15 each. So $5 each is a steal!

yeah for $5 I say jump on it. For some reason I was thinking they were more. I think I looked at the price for 10 ad thought it said 1. Hammerfall that is what I am doing this year since I doubled my lights and had 4100's from last year and then got 6500's with the new lights when I got them the other week.

But what does the 85CRI G5 base mean?
These are $5 each after shipping.

The CRI stands for Color Rendering Index. The higher the CRI, the better quality of light that you get. As a former lighting distributor, I'm a bit thrown off on the "G5 base". In flourescent lighting you never have a G5 base, not unless it's a germicidal (which is always a clear bulb), but even then the standard bulb code would be G5T5.

5 dollars a bulb is the going rate for the 6500k and about half of that for 4100k.

Just make sure that when you're changing out your bulbs that you stick to whatever your ballast has written on it (ie. T5, T8, or T12). You're not supposed to use different sizes since it shorts out the bulbs and ballasts.

i put a 4100 and a 6500K in the same fixture.

grows great!
gives a wider spectrum to my plants

Im currently running 2 x 6500's but was considering doing the same (although mine says 4200k)
Did you notice any difference running one of each, or is the way you have always done it, and don't have a comparison?
Also im having a right time of it trying to figure out how close the lights need to be to the top of the plants?? How far away do you guys have the lights?
Thx

Back