• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ripe pods with pistil

Last year one of my Hot Hungarian Wax plants made pods that were different from the others. All/most of the pods retained the pistil, and it actually ripend to red with the rest of the pod.

Is this common / known ?
IMG_2188_zps82c62ed0.jpg

Ps: Have overwintered the plant, new pods on the way !

yes, Hungarian wax are let go long enough they will turn red, i see some that only got orange and would go no further

the pistil is quite common in pepper species, i have seen it in other types as well, it a genetic defect but a recessive one and nothing to worry about
this is a opinion i formed from my own experiences and im sure there may be some who can enlighten you a bit more that i ;)

thanks your Friend Joe

nit-picky, but I think we ought to call it the "style." "Pistil" refers to the entire structure of gynoecium, style, and stigma, and the gynoecium part of the pistil is what normally develops into the pod. The style remnant is usually just a little hair-like structure off the tip, only here it's fleshier.

the pistil is quite common in pepper species, i have seen it in other types as well, it a genetic defect but a recessive one

Makes me wonder if the seeds I bought have been isolated ... Anyway, they taste fine, and pods are even hotter than what I usually get with Hot Wax pods.

nit-picky, but I think we ought to call it the "style." "Pistil" refers to the entire structure of gynoecium, style, and stigma, and the gynoecium part of the pistil is what normally develops into the pod. The style remnant is usually just a little hair-like structure off the tip, only here it's fleshier.

Thank you for the clarification. Admittedly I did not surf very long to find the botanical name of the thingy :oops:

This might help with this question
http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/biobk/biobookflowersii.html
Basically the ovary which is at the end of the style develops into the fruit so when it's growing it would sort of consume the style. So it's like when making sausage there's going to be some extra casing at the end

Progress report
IMG_2309_zps208f2ef1.jpg

The (thing that was the) style is now turning green. The remains of the stigma(?) is still visible at the end of it.

Back