• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ripening Peppers

So i planted my pepper outdoors at the beginning of june ( from already flowering plants grown indoors) and it started to fruit towards mid/ end of june. I have two pepper plants (Neither or which i believe is what i planted) and they seem to be taken forever to ripen. i think one plants peppers are supposed to remain green as there has been almost no color change. But when do i know they should be picked? and the others took on a slightly yellow hue over two weeks ago and have really done anything else. (I still feel like they could turn orange or red) Another user said that it should be any time now but i am so impatient!

Reactions: SL3
Like i said im so impatient! I was wondering about the darker green ones? Will they actually turn a different color you think?

rkempston said:
Like i said im so impatient! I was wondering about the darker green ones? Will they actually turn a different color you think?

Green definitely isn't their ripe color. Be patient.

They both look like habanero as well but harder to tell if it is an orange, red or other.  I've found a lot of my red habs will go orange first before turning red.  They still taste pretty good when they are orange, just best when they are fully red.  Have to wait it out and see.  Once they start to turn it doesn't seem to take long until they fully ripen.  What did you think you planted if I can ask?

As a reference here is one of my red habaneros mid way through ripening
lrh6mbe.jpg

rkempston said:

If I had to guess, the ones on the top are red habs and the ones on the bottom are orange. Like DogMan said, let red habs get good and red. Resist the urge to pick early and you'll be rewarded with one of the best tasting pods there is, imho.
     The red habs look like they're ready to start blushing any day now.

I thought i had origonally had Scorpion peppers and Bhuts, but realized this wasnt the case when i Started to get fruit. My own fault for ordering from ebay for my first time. I didnt know any better!

Finally got a little color, but not from the earliest pods. Actually one of the smaller and younger pods near  the base of the plant

And thanks for the offer but i actually got some seeds from Pepperlover.com this time and everyone on here seems to rave about her.

Honestly your right those are not what you ordered...I have bought seeds on eBay and they have grown true but I guess I'm lucky. The only thing that happened that was off was I got one hab plant but everything else was true

I'm not too worried about it though, I grew the pepper for the fun of it anyways. Ill try again for next season and use seeds from a "approved" vendor.

Waiting is the hardest part. Walking away and not checking on our peppers might be just as difficult lol. I check on mine about 3 times a day

Back