• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

rjacobs 2016 GLOG

Figured I would start up a GLOG as this will be my first big year.  Last year all I did was Carolina Reaper and got 9 plants out of 10 seeds.  They took forever to germinate.  Started 5 in paper towel/zip lock bag.  Nothing happened after 2-3 weeks so moved them into hydro seed starter.  Also put 5 into jiffy pellets in a seed starter.  Those germinated pretty quickly and eventually the seeds in the hydro seed starter germinated. 

All 9 of those plants are still alive although my 4 are the biggest.  My buddy has 4 and his got mites and he had to trim them to nothing and bomb them with neem, but they are coming back.  My other buddy has 1 and he has struggled with it and he grows a lot of Hab's so he knows how to grow peppers.

This year I just did seeds straight into soil in a seed starter tray on a heat mat.  Soaked them in straight water over night(about 18 hours) and then into the soil.  Got about a liter of water in the bottom of the tray and then misted the tops with filtered water.

Started the following:
Bhut Orange Copenhagen x 8
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion x 8
Aji Pineapple x 6
Aji Sugar Rush x 6

I started double what I want to eventually end up with and will give away what I dont use.  I have a few more seeds of each type if these dont do anything.  I tried to pick out the better looking seeds in the package.  All seeds came from Refining Fire Chili's so I am hoping for good germination rates.

In Dallas I should be able to be in the ground around March 1 so the plan is to get these up and going and transplanted into either solo cups or some small plastic garden pots(found various sizes online for like 30c a piece) and then be ready to go into the ground with them.

Ive also got 4 varieties of bell peppers, 4 varieties of tomato, 2 variety of cucumber, and 2 variety of beans that will also get planted.

Im all ears for advice as like I said, this is my first big year, but my Reapers are still alive and slowly look to be popping pods.  I now know a lot of the things I did wrong with those and hope to not repeat the mistakes.  Most of those mistakes were simply over watering and not re-potting in a timely fashion and allowing the plants to get a little root bound.

yup every original seed that I started germinated and now I have at least 6 more of each variety and a few have popped.  I cant bring myself to throw them away though so I am sure I will get them going and then give them away to somebody at my church.

Im fully in the ground as of yesterday.

8 Tomato plants, 4 varieties
blue lake bush beans, purple pole beans
2 varieties of cucumber
8 bell pepper plants, 4 varieties
5 Aji Sugar Rush
4 Aji Pineapple
4 Jays Peach Ghost
4 BOC
4 Reapers(1 year old plants)

Back