• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Roasting Garlic for Sauce

Sizzle Lips

Extreme Member
Hey guys and gals...looking for some help......tomorrow I have  a ferment of straight superhots(Morugas and Reapers) nothing else.......when I process this ferment I want to add roasted garlic to the sauce as well as some roasted sweet peppers......what is the best way to roast this garlic to get the maximum flavor from it......I have cloves from six bulbs of garlic to add and I really need the Garlic to stand out.

Sizzle

ColdSmoke said:
nothing special...garlic is it's own entity in the sense that you can't do much to improve it. Coat with olive oil and go low and slow...
Pretty much what i was going to do......most of what i found with a google search said the same...olive oil and some salt and place in a foil pan roast until it softens.

I wrap in foil and roast whole in the oven w no olive oil or salt.  At 225 it will take 40-60 minutes.  Depending on the quantity of sauce you have I'd do 2-3 heads.  Of course you could roast all 6 heads and add to taste - roasted garlic will keep up to a couple weeks in the fridge.  Never lasts very long around here though.  :)

total noobsauce said:
Wouldnt it release more flavor if fermented after roasting?
depending on how the garlic is roasted, it is not good to add oil into a ferment.  If the garlic heads are wrapped in foil like SnF described, the garlic can be added to the ferment at the start.  Sounds like these chiles are already fermented, so the garlic can be roasted with or without oil. 

Most directions say to cut the top of the bulb off so just a bit of each clove is exposed, drizzle with OO, sprinkle with salt, wrap and bake 250F for 45-60 minutes until the cloves are soft.  When done, break the cloves apart, squeeze each clove to pop out the garlic.

Roasted garlic can be frozen.  I like to roast up a bunch of cloves, run them through the food processor, then freeze in flat ziploc bags.  Then you can break off a piece of garlic as needed without having to defrost the whole bag.  :)

Funny thing....I just finished processing the ferment....I roasted 6 bulbs worth of peeled cloves that were coated lightly in oil.....45 minutes at 350 degrees...they came out nice....I mulched them with a fork and cooked them in with my ferment...after all said and done.....I can't even taste it...I hope after a rest in the bottles I will be able to taste some garlic.

Roasted is a sweeter rounder taste so you may want some roasted as well as a little raw, for that fresh garlic "bite" and flavor but not too much, the balance is key.

The Hot Pepper said:
Roasted is a sweeter rounder taste so you may want some roasted as well as a little raw, for that fresh garlic "bite" and flavor but not too much, the balance is key.
Im hoping after it sits for a week or so when i sample it i will taste some garlic...I did add a teaspoon of garlic powder to it during my last simmer before bottling....so that will need a bit of time to marry into the sauce.

Yes, sauces always meld, it's like a self-marination process, give it a few weeks.

Things can bolden or mellow.

Back