• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Robot Mode's First indoor Pepper grow! 2019

First time growing peppers indoors!

Start1.jpg

Was able to germinate some Thai Hot, Cayenne, Purple Jalapeno, and Serrano peppers.  I ordered a bunch of seeds from White Hot Peppers but honestly I think at my own fault I haven't had much success with germination. I have some Isolated Bohemian GOAT, Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion, 7 Pot Bubblegum Chocolate Long, Devil's Tongue White, and some scotch bonnet seeds I am trying to germinate right now.

Germ1.jpg

Below is the Purple Jalapeno at day 4

Purpled4.jpg

PurpleSproutd4.jpg

Day 14 of Purple Jalapeño

Purpled14.jpg

Day 24 (Got a new "1200 Watt" Phlizon LED Light)
Light1.jpg
Setup1.jpg

Prupled24.jpg
Purpled241.jpg

Purpled242.jpg

Here they are all together: (W/ Thai Hot, Serrano, Cayenne)

day24setup.jpg

I am planning on getting a small grow tent in a few weeks and also have a large deck to grow in the spring. I never seen leafs turn an almost black like purple so fast, is this a good trait?

Thank you checking out my first Grow Log post!

Great news, Steve!  It's going to be a 'brain-y'
grow in your neck of the woods!

Have fun setting up your grow tent!

CaneDog said:
Great news and a merry christmas I'm sure RM!

Very Merry! :beer:

PaulG said:
Great news, Steve!  It's going to be a 'brain-y'
grow in your neck of the woods!

Have fun setting up your grow tent!

I know! I still have over a dozen other strains germinating but with all the success on the 7 pot brain strain yellow I have to at least start growing all the ones that pop in case I don't get any more Chinese capsaicin genetics to germ.

In the end I am going to end up with too many peppers and not enough space. Madness will soon ensue :scared:

Robot Mode said:
In the end I am going to end up with too many peppers and not enough space. Madness will soon ensue :scared:
Welcome to the club, my friend    :lol:​ 

And a fine madness it is.

Your plants look super healthy. I’m glad you managed to finally to sort out your germination issues. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

heefy said:
Your plants look super healthy. I’m glad you managed to finally to sort out your germination issues. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you I have actually messed around with growing a lot in the summer and when I was young I hide plants from my family like an idiot (Yes weed). I am pretty confident with the skills and lessons learned along the way but first real attempt at full indoor growing peppers as well 

MarcV said:
Why does space always have to be an issue...  :rolleyes:

Well if it isn't an issue right now (and it isn't) I will keep on trucking until it is. At that time it will be at the mercy of my Michigan winters window light. That or death :tear:. In the summer I will be able to go nuts on my deck with 6'x9' of space to work with.

New tent update!

I had to take off a couple shelf's and and had some trouble getting the tent set up and moved in such a tight area.
Before
shelfs.jpg

After
Newtent2.jpg
newtent3.jpg

I also have more good news on the germination front! Added a few more Pink Tiger x Peach Bhut seeds to the soil. I got about 6 Scotch Bonnet Schneider farms to germ as well as 8+ seeds of the Pink Tiger x Peach Bhut (Thin Pheno) (Isolated) to germ.
newlife1229.jpg
Newlifee.jpg

I think I finally have the germination method down for these tricky chinese capsican  :party:
Below is the Pink Tiger x Peach Bhut and 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow (the one with more sprouts)
sprouts1229.jpg

Big Purple Jalapeno has its first flower opening and at least 30 buds forming. And my Cayenne, Serrano, and Thai Hot are trowing healthy
flower1229.jpg
budsonbuds1229.jpg
SCT1229.jpg

My Small Purple Jalapeno is starting to catch up and is look very healthy
SmJala1229.jpg

I just starting mixing nutrients using a mix of FoxFarm Veg and flower nutrients (Medium/light strength mix as of now)
nutrients1229.jpg

Glad to see the tent up and running, Steve! 

What is the light hanging on? 

New tent looks awesome RM and great stuff all around!  With the BS Yellows and Scotch Bonnets and Jalapenos you're kicking things off with a good variety of very useful peppers throughout the heat spectrum - not to mention a cool one in the PT cross.  Looking forward to seeing your remaining varieties pop in due course.

"I think I finally have the germination method down for these tricky chinese capsican   :party:"

Looks like you are using the same method Khang Starr
uses on the Google+ Pepper Lover's community. Glad to
see you landing on a successful strategy for germinating
the c. chinense seeds. They can be real boogers.

PaulG said:
Glad to see the tent up and running, Steve! 

What is the light hanging on? 

Very excited myself to have the final setup in order! I am hanging from the cross bars on top inside the grow tent.
hangtight.jpg

CaneDog said:
New tent looks awesome RM and great stuff all around!  With the BS Yellows and Scotch Bonnets and Jalapenos you're kicking things off with a good variety of very useful peppers throughout the heat spectrum - not to mention a cool one in the PT cross.  Looking forward to seeing your remaining varieties pop in due course.

The PT x Peach Bhut is going to be the my cool pods to show off for sure! Never grew bonnets before and brain strain varieties seem popular around here so glad I will get in on that action as well.

PaulG said:
"I think I finally have the germination method down for these tricky chinese capsican   :party:"

Looks like you are using the same method Khang Starr
uses on the Google+ Pepper Lover's community. Glad to
see you landing on a successful strategy for germinating
the c. chinense seeds. They can be real boogers.

I have been germinating different fruiting and flower plants for years and thought I had it down, even peppers. But the C. Chinese was like germination boot camp. I feel like I have the setup/experience to germinate anything now.

Robot Mode said:

Very excited myself to have the final setup in order! I am hanging from the cross bars on top inside the grow tent.
attachicon.gif
hangtight.jpg
Alright, that looks like a pretty solid frame.

Those plants will grow out of the grow tent
in no time!

PaulG said:
Alright, that looks like a pretty solid frame.

Those plants will grow out of the grow tent
in no time!

Being a metal frame and having those cross bars makes it very sturdy.  I think if heat in the summer wasn't a issue I could even hang two of these lights. Even if its not the advertised 1200w this one light should put out plenty of light.

As far as the plants growing to big and not being enough space that is going to be a process of trimming, "Thinning the herd", and small 1 gallon grow bags. I have 2 gallon bags which I will use on a couple of my favorite children. :shh: But I need the space to grow multiple strains and I can line up 3 1 gallon grow bags in a row width wise in this tent. Go for a sea of green grow to maximize strains/plants.

Robot Mode said:

Being a metal frame and having those cross bars makes it very sturdy.  I think if heat in the summer wasn't a issue I could even hang two of these lights. Even if its not the advertised 1200w this one light should put out plenty of light.

As far as the plants growing to big and not being enough space that is going to be a process of trimming, "Thinning the herd", and small 1 gallon grow bags. I have 2 gallon bags which I will use on a couple of my favorite children. :shh: But I need the space to grow multiple strains and I can line up 3 1 gallon grow bags in a row width wise in this tent. Go for a sea of green grow to maximize strains/plants.
I like your thinking, Steve   :clap:

Nice grow robot mode, its cool seeing the transition from the beginning of your grow. Ive had issues with germination, I tried paper towel method then heat mat under hex tray then finally the Aerogarden (hydro) and my germ rates are insane with it (like 90%). Once you got it down its mostly down hill lol until the bugs come lol. Good job on it

I was noticing not many roots coming out of my large Purple Jalapeno and the leafs seemed to be curling and I am not sure why I wanted to give the roots a chance to spread.
curlingleafsPJ.jpg

I got 2 Gal and 1 Gal grow bags because I want to maximize the strains I can grow at once and I feel the 1-Gal bags will allow more floor space and help keep plants smaller for less trimming.
gbs.jpg

The end goal for the sea of green setup will have 15 1-Gal Grow bags (5x3) and 2 2-Gal bags at the end. I know this is a lot by ill stay fluid with results as I inch closer to the final setup.
Growgoalsetupdiagram.png

You can see the roots were barely coming out of the first cup, other than that I don't think they look bad.
PJrootsystem.jpg
PJrootsystem2.jpg

And here is the PJ after transplant. (1-Gal)
PJtransplant.jpg
PJtransplanttent.jpg

Hopefully the PJ likes the new area for roots and handles the transplant well because I was looking forward to see all those purple flowers! :pray:

CaneDog said:
Damn RM, that PJ's looking strong! I expect it's going to really take off with all that new foot room.  And I'm a fan of dirt over a double-cup reservoir myself anyway, so I like seeing it go into that bigger bag.

Thanks, I have been concerned with some of the leafs going a little more limp and starting to curl a bit. But it doesn't seem too bad and there are no discolored leaves so probably fine.

The double cup is giving me large healthy root systems on my other plants (Even the smaller PJ) but the large PJ just didn't have many roots growing out. 1-Gal bag wont be big enough but will have to due haha!

Robot Mode said:
I would be more concerned about heat from that dryer next door than the led. They just do not put off nearly as much heat as the old HPS and MH systems. If you have any ventilation to prevent stagnant air inside the tent then the heat from the light shouldnt bother the peppers. That being said, I think you probably have enough light to accomplish your goals in that space.

If you are worried about heat from the light and turn your AC off in the summer while at work, you can modify the light cycle so that the light isnt on during the hottest part of the day.

Back