• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

rock wool

Anyone using rock wool for seed starts this year and/or in the past. What's the low down good and bad. Looking for a formed cell material but don't want root riot.

i prefer the peat sponge pods.

rock wool seems to hold either too much water or too little... its difficult to tell just from looking as well.

that being said, the germination rate for my tobacco plants was like 95% in rockwool. i dont recall what the rate was for peppers.  peat sponges might be slightly better, but mostly i like them because they are easier to keep watered.

queequeg152 said:
root riots... thats what they are called.

i used to get em at the local hydro store.

I use them too

23144772904_c6247d7515_c.jpg

I've been experimenting, on a very small scale, with both rock wool and Rapid Rooter sponges. I didn't germinate seeds in either, I used paper towel/sandwich bag method. Once tap roots came out I transferred to one of the growing mediums. Side by side, the sprouts seem to do better initially in the Rapid Rooter plugs, but after starting on nutes, it doesn't seem to matter between the two. Rock wool is significantly cheaper, if you shop around. Here are two, both came of out a dwc setup, and were transferred to potting mix.

vYFO3sHl.jpg

This is a Caramel Moruga Scorpion in a Rapid Rooter plug.
9uYU0qVl.jpg

This is a Jamaican Hot Chocolate in Rock Wool. I think it's about a week behind the Moruga.
iffuaN8l.jpg

After transplant.
J9g1RCrl.jpg

Here's some kale in rockwool, in ghetto Kratky setup.
B1pHIx2l.jpg

Some misc peppers in rock wool.
JII5Ut6l.jpg

Some in Rapid Rooters.
83nSGEpl.jpg

Both seem to dry out equally as fast. I have kept water in the very bottom, enough to keep them moist and haven't seen any problems.

I know it's very limited data, and not scientific, but hope it's helpful. I lean toward liking the Rapid Rooters better, but the rock wool is much cheaper. I plan to keep buying both, but keeping the rock wool more for backup, at this point. I might change my mind later after using them more.

I use rock wool to germinate occasionally. I like rock wool because it has no other ingredients and it holds the right amount of water.

queequeg152 said:
root riots... thats what they are called.

i used to get em at the local hydro store.
Will the root riots stand up well on there on own.  And what i mean is i have standard 1020 trays without individual cups within it, so i just put them in there do they fall over or will they remain up right?  Can you put more than one seed in them? I have just used peat pellets in the past, and they have worked okay but this might be a good alternative.

I appreciate the feed back. I have used the rapid rooter before. There were thing about them I didn't care for and there were areas they excelled. I have been leaning toward rock wool because they are not treated with anything. The rapid rooter on the other hand do have something impregnated into the plug that caused in my opinion a high percentage of mutations in last years grow
parker49 said:
Will the root riots stand up well on there on own.  And what i mean is i have standard 1020 trays without individual cups within it, so i just put them in there do they fall over or will they remain up right?  Can you put more than one seed in them? I have just used peat pellets in the past, and they have worked okay but this might be a good alternative.
No, they are narrow at the base. If you flipped them upside down and cut a new slit , it might work nicely.

CAPCOM said:
I appreciate the feed back. I have used the rapid rooter before. There were thing about them I didn't care for and there were areas they excelled. I have been leaning toward rock wool because they are not treated with anything. The rapid rooter on the other hand do have something impregnated into the plug that caused in my opinion a high percentage of mutations in last years grow

No, they are narrow at the base. If you flipped them upside down and cut a new slit , it might work nicely.
ok thanks, good to know.  I hadn't even considered trying them until this thread.

20151121_075457_resized.jpg

20151121_075746_resized_1.jpg

Never tried rockwool but I can tell you that grow plugs are leaps and bounds ahead of the old "pucks". Not only germination rate but time required. Grow plugs in my incubator at 85 and 70 percent humidity, we're talking basically 100 germination rate or pretty close.

I should mention seeds were started at the same time in the top pic.

R1dreamer said:
20151121_075457_resized.jpg

20151121_075746_resized_1.jpg

Never tried rockwool but I can tell you that grow plugs are leaps and bounds ahead of the old "pucks". Not only germination rate but time required. Grow plugs in my incubator at 85 and 70 percent humidity, we're talking basically 100 germination rate or pretty close.

I should mention seeds were started at the same time in the top pic.
I used the compressed plugs for years and moved on to the root riot. Now I will be using rock wool. Just picked up 2 flats of 98 squares.

I used to rock the wool, but now I just paper towel germ and transfer to seedling mix in a small pot. The rock wool was unnecessary work for me. But it worked just fine, results-wise.

mrgrowguy said:
I used to rock the wool, but now I just paper towel germ and transfer to seedling mix in a small pot. The rock wool was unnecessary work for me. But it worked just fine, results-wise.

Yeah, I can imagine me using the paper towel method last year. 365 damp paper towels laying around the grow room.

I like having a preformed media to start with. It's keeping it economical and beneficial at the same time that is the ticket.

That root riot looks pretty cool. in the paper towel germination phase right now, if i get more seeds for different varieties may have to pick up some of these bad boys.

Well, I started my rock wool start on the 26th and no hooks yet. The perforations in the rock wool are somewhat deep and could account for the hooks delayed presence.

I always start my plants in the rockwool cubes and put the cubes in a bigger pot once the small plants starts to grow roots.

Finally getting hooks. Did an overlap sowing just in case 1st seeds were a bust. Rockwood is a whole different animal from what I am used to. Difficult to determine just how much moisture content is there.

Back