• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

RocketMan and Kids Veggie and Herb Garden

As a fun project for the little ones I picked up some herbs at Lowes. I wanted to see if they had any interest in gardening or not. Turns out they love it or at least the opportunity to get dirty :) They each got to dig the hole for their 2 plants and add some good stuff to the bottom. Then they centered the pot and filled in the dirt around them. Of course after we had to water the plants and that was another level of fun added as I'm pretty sure they watered each other more than the plants got watered. Here's a couple of pics:

839c7a38.jpg

and after adding some mulch to help control weeds and a little fence to keep the dog out.

2a309bf8.jpg

We all had so much fun that I picked up some veggie seeds. We're going to be growing Carrots, Zucinni, Yellow Squash, Okra, Green Beans, Black Krum and Big Boy Tomaotes.
The bigger seeds I presoaked for 24 hours in plain water and then placed them into minicups and into my germination chamber, or microwave oven above the stove and 3 days later they were ready to go into the dirt. I happened to look at them yeaterday and after 3 days the okra, zucinni and yellow squash were up:

00b0753a.jpg

They haven't lost their enjoyment of it yet.
The first thing we have to do when we get home from school/work is check on the seedlings.

Thanks for stopping by for a look,
RM

Awesome. Good luck with everything. My 4 year old boy loves helping in the garden. Kids enjoy that kinda stuff.

Future chefs of America. Yep, I think kids love that stuff, especially when the get to eat what they grow.
Way to go RM!

Took this yesterday as I was moving things around a bit. Each of the tomatoes have 2 little ones up now.

517cef1f.jpg

Just waiting on the Green Beans to come up now. Kids are ready right now to get them into the ground but I think it's because they want to get to dig somemore holes and play in the dirt.   :)
This is the opposite end of the bed where the herbs are and the Tomatoes will be going in there.
83137b1e.jpg

That Rosemary has been in there to a year and a half now and just keeps growing like crazy. I have to cut off several about 1 foot pieces every week. This end of the bed is where the Zucinni, Yellow squash, Okra and Green Beans are going to go and a row a carrots along the walkway. I'm going to put some stakes in and run some string along the wall for the green beans to run up so that they're not spreading out all over.
84471a48.jpg

If all goes well this year I'll be making a bigger area next year along the back fence.,
Thanks for stoping by,
RM

Looking good RM! My little ones love helping me in the garden also.
Its a great thing to get them into and teaches them a lot.
Plus they get the satisfaction at the end of eating what they grew.

Yeah RB, one of the reasons that I thought about getting trying to get them into it was because right now they don't really like veggies, not even salad veggies really. Our hope is that they will want to try what they have grown and become more willing to try new ones as things go along.

Thanks for stopping by,
RM

Tots have that insatiable curiosity that will have them begging to munch on their home grown veggies!!!! Thanks for the fun pics RM!!! Please keep posting them...this is a fun journey!!!! :)

I was able to get the good camera for a bit and took some good shots of the seedlings. Going to have to get some of these planted soon I guess.

Black Krum Tomato
020.jpg

Burpee Big Boy Tomato
019.jpg

Zuccinni
022.jpg

Yellow Squash on left Zuccinni on right
014.jpg

013.jpg

Glad I wrote on the cups what they are. At this point they pretty much look the same.

Thanks for stopping in for a look. Have a great day.
RM

Well i started off in my parents garden the same way & about there age, i grew Radish (easy) and runner beans (great fun).

And im still growing both to this day. :D

Mezo.

Good stuff Mezo. That good fresh, home grown produce well help keep you alive. I don't think that anything from the market can compair for taste and with my home grown I know that there are no harmful chemicals beign used.

Thanks for taking a look.

Just a quick update. It's supposed to be raining alot this weekend and I had been planning ongetting them into the garden this weekend. Hopefully there'll be a break in the weather at some point and I will have enough time to get them in. Here's a pic update:

020.jpg

019.jpg

Thanks for stopping in for a look, have a great weekend.
RM

Funny. I'm growing zuchinis and yellow squash too. Looks exactly like your pics. Zuchinis sprouts very fast. Throw in some watermelons and our kids will have a great summer.

Good luck!

Very nice! I'm having my boys work in the garden as much as possible. My peppers are currently germinating in my 11 year old's bedroom on his window sill!!

Hey FireDragon, this year we're keeping to a small garden to see how it goes. Next year, if the boss approves :), I'll do a bigger one and have some melons in there for sure.

Etothepii and I bet he gets up with a morning report for you every day too.

looking great, i sure wish my parents had introduced me into all of this when i was a child. Its a great thing you're doing here.
cheers, and i hope to see some updates :)

This weekend we finally got them into their dirt home I was too dirty to get pics of the kids but here are some shots of them after planting.

Zucchini
010-1.jpg

Okra
009-2.jpg

Yellow Squash
008-3.jpg

Black Krum Tomato
007-2.jpg

Black Krum close up
006-1.jpg

Burpee Big Boy close up
005-3.jpg

Burpee Big Boys
004-3.jpg

Zucchini
003-3.jpg

Okra
002.jpg

Yellow Squash
001.jpg

Now just have to wait for the fun part, the picking and eating.
Thanks for stopping by for a look
RM

Woah, almost 2 1/2 months guess I'm well over due for an update in here. I'll get the camera out and get some shots of what's left. Some of the veggies didn't survive Debbie but those that did are looking good.

Check back soon.

Back