beer RocketMan goes a brewing

sorry dude but your shit is fried

a temperature change that drastic causes extreme stress on the yeast, to the point of where it will either A. Die and cause autolysis and stupidly low attenuation, and B. some super unpleasant flavors and smells

there is not a single beer yeast that works PROPERLY over 74 degrees, some will still ferment out fully, but its going to taste like garbage

if you cant keep your ale fermentations between 65-73, you will ALWAYS get a sub par batch of beer

Well this is all part of the learning process. Is there anything I can do? Rack to a secondary and re-pitch the yeast or something like that or is my only choice to re brew the beer? They were bubbling like crazy while out there and now there is still a sign of pressure in the fermenter but no bubbles coming out.

thats actually really bad to do, because the honey isnt sterile whatsoever before it gets to you

bring the honey and water up over 165 for at least 20 minutes and you are golden

im surprised it has turned out well for you in the past

I'm 3 for 3 with it, twice using agave nectar instead of honey. Maybe it goes through a pasteurizing process or something. I don't know.

I use a whole envelope of Cote des Blanc.

Wheebz is the man for this kind of stuff... I'm going to pasteurize my blend next time for sure. It's easy enough to do. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Thanks for the advice.

Check this out.
The first picture is my agave mead, bubbling like crazy. I'll keep it wrapped in a towel until it's clear.

I forgot to replace my blow off tube, so I just slapped the bubbler on it and it's blowing through the bubbler.
Wheebz, this isn't going to screw anything up, right??? I don't mind the mess. I was so pissed when I realized I had forgotten that.
The beer seems happy, yeast doing it's job well.

IMGP2098.jpg

IMGP2099.jpg

nah you should be OK, i mean its better if you have a tube so its not blowing through the bubbler and potentially creating a place for bacteria and other thingies to make their home, but once you see a reduction in fermentation, take that bubbler off, clean it, sanitize it, and put it back on

its creating a very high concentration of CO2 at the moment in that area, and that acts as a great repellant, but clean it and redo it as soon as you can

rocket, theres nothing you can really do at this point, the reason you saw such vigorous fermentation was because of the temperature, but that also causes a huge amount of unwanted esters and fusel alcohols

your stuff will probably taste extremely "hot" and not reminiscent of what you were trying to create at all

FD, Agave Nectar is usually pasteurized from the get go from what I hear, I mean I have never worked with it before so i dont know for a fact, so maybe thats why you havent had a problem

but most honeys, clovers and orange blossoms, are not, and have a lot of residual microorganisms in there

Thanks Bro, I kind of figured that was the case. I think I'm going to let it finish out the 10 days and see what I have just as a learning thing. What about the cider though, if the champagn yeast any more temperature tollerant or is it going ot be fired too? FYI, Toasting my first brew with one of your Unearthly Imperial IPAs. Good Stuff but I still haven't been able to find any of teh 2X IPA you talked about. Still looking.

We were using 10 pounds of clover honey for 5 gallons. FD says we boiled all of them. I don't remember now, but I think I read about a no heat method and tried it. I do remember some tasting funky. Maybe that was it.

I think when I make my first batch I'm going to do like a gallon of a dry mead and make one of the bottles sparkling. We usually tend more towards the dry wines and a sparkling mead sounds kind of cool. Proally be a headache in every bottle knowing how honey it but...

Start saving champagne bottles. You can cap them.

Go to BJs and get a few bottles of Korbel for 8 bucks each or whatever it is and have a few nights of fun.
Save the bottles to do your mead in. Sparkling mead isn't tough to do.

We add stuff to our mead too. Sum has had great luck with green tea. He swears it helps clarify it (he might be right...great mead!).
I've done cranberries, fennel, key lime, agave.
No hot peppers yet...

capping a champagne bottle is great, i did that stuff all the time, and like FD said, it works fantastic, nice recommendation for that

Sparkling meads are awesome. Good thought RM.

BTW, I've had great success using teas as a clarifying agent.

Let the mead ferment for about 6 weeks, then in a stainless pot, boil up about 2-3 cups of water and drop some tea bags in for two minutes. I was doing five gallon batches, and I think I did one teabag per gallon +1. If you're doing a one gallon batch... I'd say 1C of water and two tea bags. Green tea is great. Chamomile is good, too. Don't pour the tea in boiling hot. Chill it by placing the pot into some cool water for 1/2 hour. Should be good to go.

Well I pulled samples from the get enters last night and checked the SG on them. The Porter was at 1.022, the Ale was at 1.012 and the Cider was at .997 which puts the ABV at 4%, 5% and 8%. There were also no discernible off aromas or tastes to them except that the cider was rather yeasty. So I'm thinking I'll rack them all to secondary's and repitch the yeast and see what happens. Any thoughts? Should I add more DME perhaps to make sure there is enough fermentable sugars? Something else?

Still bubbling????

I cleaned out my bubbler today. It's still popping about once every 5 seconds. Not going to bother racking into a secondary. I'm going straight into the keg next week.

Nope it hasn't bubbled since I moved it back in. I think if nothing else it will be drinkable as there were no noteable off tastes I think I just killed the yeast with the temperature shock. I talked to wheebz and he told me that the Ale is done, the porter should still come down some more. Going to rack it to a secondary and let it go another 5 days and the cider still has like 2 1/2 months to go. They all tasted good the cider was yeasty but he said that should clear up in the time it has left to run.

I took SG readings on Sat and it looks like this:

Porter 4%
Ale 5%
Cider 8%

Weebz gave me some advice on the Porter and we'll see how it's doing in another week. The ale I'll bottle tomorrow and the Cider has another 2.5 months. After I bottle the ale and clean and sanitize the bucket it'll be racked to a secondary. I'm going to take another SG reading on the Porter on Thursday and if it hasn't moved any I'll rack to a secondary for anothe 5 days and see what it is then.

Back