beer RocketMan's BrewLog

So,

16 April 2015

5E2B391E-678F-4845-B670-76CF09286602_zpsehtsgh1e.jpg

And today 21 days later

C7F50593-353C-498C-87F0-3DE7A5DCCC53_zpsb2ayph70.jpg

BBD6C123-4AA2-4611-8FF0-E6C559D8DEFC_zpsfwi4tius.jpg

Those chips have soaked up a lot of bourbon and the smell in the jar is an absolutely wonderful blend of the 2 scents. This is going to be good

I'm rarely mind-blown ... I mean, I love the feeling, it just doesn't happen all that often ...

When I zested the grapefruit for the beer I'd brewed, I distinctly recall saying to Danielle - "I should have used the microplane and not the little zester for making martini spirals, because there's a bit of the pulp ... it's got a little bite, it's a little bit bitter!" ...

I mean, I did it as lightly as I could - as I'm aware of that from cooking - but it just wasn't the right tool ...

Well, when I popped the swing-top on the 1st one the other day I was mind-blown ... it smelled unchanged ... I was shocked at how the entirety of the add didn't get altered by the process it lived amongst for a month ...

I don't know ... I found that really, really promising ...

That was the day I decided to buy a really small immersion chiller to start, because it'll work as the sole chiller for my 1-2.5 gal bathes, and still be useful in tandem for a pre-chiller setup using either a plate or recirc chiller for doing 5 gal batches ...

Anyways ... that's a really convoluted way of saying "Damn, I bet those chips are going to make a dope beer if they smell so good now!" ...

I'm sure shit gets altered and weakened and transformed, but man, the grapefruit peel was promising and I bought a Sunkist orange to microplane into the saison kit that I'm going to brew without the jalapeno it's designed to have =)

Dude, you have no idea how much you sound like I did when I started brewing! And that's exactly what Wheebz said to me too. There wasn't an Ask Wheebz back then so I have a long PM with him that I still refer back to.

Good times

I had a thing of Coopers Ale that I got free with an order and and I've been wanting to test out the CFC. Got the boil going and added some Kent Goldings at the 15 minute mark to give it a little better aroma and flavor. Then through the counter flow.

9135AB80-AEB2-4FB0-A34D-DBBDF04B083A_zpsvkmgvf4x.jpg

Yep, I totally switched the hoses but the difference in temperature was still amazing. The hose coming out of the pot I could barely touch.

ABBD15CE-D7E1-4B41-AFB8-D9F37C42D5E5_zpsapt56w3g.jpg

The one going into the fermenter was probably about 97dF as it felt body temperature.

95BC0A72-EB02-4C64-8DDD-F8C3CC7594FE_zpsny6x6ro0.jpg

C7F657D9-32DC-4E83-A810-E146A63C097C_zpsqegklkj2.jpg

Works out great too as I was asked to make and bring some homebrew to a Memorial Day Party.

Sweet.

I was thinking about this last night, both full and buzzed, on the couch ...

All of the methods really allow you to only get close to the source water, no matter which it is ...

So, at the end of the day, here in Florida, you are either circulating ice water, putting your container in ice water, or pre-chilling the water source through ice water to get to pitching temp ...

The main reason I'm going to go balls out on worth chilling is to recoup time spent brewing, really ... that it's better for beer is also great, but mostly I need to be able to wrap up a brew session and get back to work ...

I am trying to get my setup built to allow me to do the me-intensive part (sparging and boiling and wort chilling) of brewing in ~2 hours, in hopes of being able to do it 2-3 x's/wk ...

I think it requires a 75 min boil to hit 2 hrs, so maybe I'll decide that 2.25 hrs is neeeded, but the point is the same ... quick!

Looks good.
PS - switched hoses? ... are you supposed to run the worth in the space between the inner and outer, not through the middle?

Switched hoses meaning I ran the wort in the same direction as the water. I didn't use chilled water, I connected right into the hose out of the wall. I'm playing bass tonight with the praise team at church so won't be tonight But aim planning to do some testing to see what temperature I'm getting at the bucket. This one was a 3 gallon boil into 3 gallons of cold water and the temp when I checked it was at 83 dF and I pitched the yeast starter. It's now in the new fermentation chamber bubbling along nicely at 67dF.

One thing you could do to get better cooling, drop the temp more is use 3/4" ID hose rather than 5/8" ID.

That's going to make a significant difference in efficacy in my mental modeling ...

As the hot wort travels over the full distance it's crossing ever-more-cool water when their directions are opposite.

Flowing in the same direction, and especially if the rate of flow is relatively similar, would give results similar to immersion I'm thinking.

I looked at some comparison charts for immersion and recirculation last night, actually ... so, I bet you get 20-30% better performance when you have them crossing.

PS - Double bass or electric bass?

RocketMan said:
One thing you could do to get better cooling, drop the temp more is use 3/4" ID hose rather than 5/8" ID.

I think I saw that Camco hose the other day, the larger diameter one ...

I'm going to probe Wheebz further on his plate chiller rec ... later on, after I work ...

Yeah, big VW fan ... before I'd ever even picked one up ...

The bass here wasn't very expensive, I know I checked right after I gave it back ...

I think it was only like $500 ...

It was a wood colored ESP, 6 string ...

Fun to play.

Ok, maybe not a Mead but it is kind of Mead like

9CAB460C-1A7E-4240-90A0-C9E0DFD04D07_zpsixdc6brv.jpg

That's 2 bottles of Amber and 2 bottles of light Agave. Added a lime that was quartered and half an Orange along with 25 raisins to help the Cotes De Blanc yeasties. Looks like a nice dark pitcher of tea.

39EECFA1-9611-4331-A224-6345EC1C0A83_zpsx3h0uo9u.jpg

Got the idea from Frydad who did an Agave one and said it was really good. Next maybe a Mayple Syrup one

As the pressure builds it presses up on the lid and the gas escapes till the pressure reduces and the lid sets back down. Of course it's fermenting at 68 dF so it'll be a slower ferment. I'm hoping that it won't build up as much pressure that way.

Back