• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rockwool Question?

the roots will grow throughout the rockwool, if you removed the rockwool you would be tearing and damaging the roots. i sprouted a weed plant in rockwool and i planted the cube in the soil making sure to cover it. and it grew just fine. just monitor watering.

Rockwool is inert anyways. You can plant it with the rockwool, and dispose of the plant with it after its done. Or if its a perennial, just leave it be.

Depending on what I'm germinating, rockwool tends to do pretty well. My only objection is that is holds a larger percentage of water (and lessor percentage of air) when wet. So every once in a while, I've seen it create damping off during unfavorable conditions. However, these properties make it great for cuttings.

Personally, I like Oasis foam cubes and wedges for germination of most crops. My last batch of seedlings was done in 1.25" rockwool cubes and every cube produced a healthy plant. I usually soak it in a 5.5 pH solution (I use R/O water and citric acid) for a couple of hours before I use it since rockwool's natural pH is around 8.

Rockwool is made from rock (usually basalt) heated up to 3,000 degrees F and spun like cotton candy. Most rockwool doesn't hold water and is used as insulation in structures (homes, etc.) in every country other than the USA (we love our fiberglass batts).

Just pop the rockwool cubes right into the soil and you will be alright. If your rockwool has a plastic "sleeve", take it off before planting. If you try and remove the cube, you might damage the roots and end up with an unhappy plant.

Good luck!

Also, haven't tried Rapid Rooters. Are they that much better than Oasis cubes and worth a try?

Depending on what I'm germinating, rockwool tends to do pretty well. My only objection is that is holds a larger percentage of water (and lessor percentage of air) when wet. So every once in a while, I've seen it create damping off during unfavorable conditions. However, these properties make it great for cuttings.

Personally, I like Oasis foam cubes and wedges for germination of most crops. My last batch of seedlings was done in 1.25" rockwool cubes and every cube produced a healthy plant. I usually soak it in a 5.5 pH solution (I use R/O water and citric acid) for a couple of hours before I use it since rockwool's natural pH is around 8.

Rockwool is made from rock (usually basalt) heated up to 3,000 degrees F and spun like cotton candy. Most rockwool doesn't hold water and is used as insulation in structures (homes, etc.) in every country other than the USA (we love our fiberglass batts).

Just pop the rockwool cubes right into the soil and you will be alright. If your rockwool has a plastic "sleeve", take it off before planting. If you try and remove the cube, you might damage the roots and end up with an unhappy plant.

Good luck!

Also, haven't tried Rapid Rooters. Are they that much better than Oasis cubes and worth a try?

RR cubes are made from composted materials, which means its loaded with beneficial organisms which help root growth, and I think its also fortified with GH nutes already too. They work in both soil and hydro.

Here's my two most recent germinations (put em in early since I had room in the system). One genovese basil, the other is bunching green onions. LED light looks funny with a cameraphone - sorry for the poor quality.
I tuck the cubes into 2" net pots with a 12-ounce/yd geotextile (keeps light out of the solution and helps to wick water but holds a lot of air when saturated).

Ambient CFL bulb shot for when I get a headache after 5 minutes from the LEDs:

Back