• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Rocotillo Habanero

I came across these on the Web, Rocotillo Habanero.
They are crazy beautiful looks actually like a Bonnet pepper.

How hot are they and how is the taste compared to Scotch Bonnet.
Mostly because I might grow it, instead of some Bonnet pepper.

I can't find many results searching for Rocotillo Habanero. Most of the results are false positives due to the terms Rocotillo and Habanero being in a comma separated list.

The hits that refer to a Rocotillo Habanero point to SeedCo. Is this the web site you saw them at?

The Baccatum version is on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocotillo_pepper
But I thought most of C. Chinense version, and you're right, not much useful data on the Web

A Baccatum and a Chinense variety show up in a search for Rocotillo on thechileman.org.

Sometimes vendors seem to add the word Habanero to the name of varieties.

In regards to the pod shape it is better to make a judgement from a photo of many pods that have not been chosen for shape rather than just one.

I have them they are great in flavor and nice kick not on the habanero level nice kick.

DSCN0175.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

Harry, you're right

SocialChiliehead, thanks for the picture.
Wow they have a really great shape, i assume it is C. Chinense version.
They do not look really big, the fruits, it is a small plant, or just small fruits.

Smokemaster
Thanks for the link, they will surely get on the my wanted list.

The rocotillo chinense that I've grown was OK but nothing special. I personally won't bother with them again

Had mild to hot pods from the chinense Rocotillo myself too, with some of the hot pods having a bit of a stronger flavour behind the heat then the mild, but that's possibly growing stress on both counts with my plants.

Interestingly, if they are not really hot, and with Chinense flavor.
It is almost harder to find a mild Chinense than a hot.

How big will these plants be.

that look more like the Chinense version, as chilidatebase shows the Baccatum as a long top and not as compacted and orange color, so I would want to see the flower of pepperworld since doesn't look like the baccatum version.

Back