• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rocoto Advice.

Shorerider said:

Here are my monsters before they got axed to make way for a new bed.
20160102_112543.jpg

They stayed in this bed for the full four years, and were never overwintered. This position outlooks north, we only get 2-3 frosts a year when temperatures drop just below freezing. They look a little ragged at the end of winter, but prune them back a little, and they will always bounce back strong as ever. 

I believe I sent you some Serrano pods last year if I remember correctly, Rocoto are a very similar tasting thick walled juicy pod.

SR.

Chockers in the fall I bet.

All you Aussies are fenced in over there. When my family comes to visit they always comment on our lack of fencing in the states.

drathag said:

Hey mate, I notice its in a dark coloured pot. The soil in them gets a LOT hotter a lot faster than in lighter coloured pots. I spray painted some of my pots a gloss white and they reflect the majority of the heat so the roots don't cook while still letting my plants sit in full sun. If temps are high, perhaps the roots are getting a bit too hot and dropping flowers as a result of stress?
I had thought of that, that's part of the reason why this season I made up a large frame work and covered in shade cloth, come 10-11am I put the frame over the plants or they just wouldn't survive the heat.

Cheers

Shorerider said:

Here are my monsters before they got axed to make way for a new bed.
20160102_112543.jpg

They stayed in this bed for the full four years, and were never overwintered. This position outlooks north, we only get 2-3 frosts a year when temperatures drop just below freezing. They look a little ragged at the end of winter, but prune them back a little, and they will always bounce back strong as ever. 

I believe I sent you some Serrano pods last year if I remember correctly, Rocoto are a very similar tasting thick walled juicy pod.

SR.
Holly Underwear Batman,..they are friken massive...lol.
Yes mate I ate all them Serranos you sent,...I'll be enjoying the Rocoto then if it's similar.
Thanks SR.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I agree with this 100%. Grow multiple varieties to see what works best. I've had rocoto plants produce hundreds of pods in a year, but other rocoto varieties produce no pods, in the same conditions. Also, I give my rocotos a 50/50 direct sunlight to shade/filtered sunlight during the Summer.

Grow a bunch of Pubescens varieties to see what works in your environment. If they don't produce kick them to the curb, but the ones that do produce OW them, or save seeds for the next year. I try new varieties every year, and also grow varieties that I know will work in my environment. Typically I get rocoto yields like this biweekly-weekly in the late Summer/Fall:

Awesome crop PS,..i'll be sure to take the advice and put a few varieties next season.
Cheers.

Back