• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rocoto and Rocotillo

Friday I stopped by a hydroponic store to see what seeds they might have. I grabbed a pack of Rocoto Red and Rocotillo. I was aking the guy there how thick skinned/flesh was on the Rocotillo was and he said follow me, where he led me to a grow room, he cut me off a couple Rocotillos (Chinense) and a few Thai orange. Thought that was pretty cool. He said they were hot, they seemed to be ok on the heat, but seemed to have a pretty nice taste, almost juicy, anybody growing them? What do you think of them? The Rocotos.....aren't they a mother to germinate being a pubescens?? On the package it said partial shade,guess they don't need as much sun? It's so late I don't know why I bought them (other than being an addict!), guess if this winter is like last year it wont be an issue.

I grew the rocotillo last year this was my final harvest in december I personally enjoyed them as the heat was not overbearing and tasty, but I didn't have room this year for them there was a thread created about them.
DSCN0265.jpg

http://thehotpepper....__fromsearch__1

My seeds germinated just fine this year. I planted 4 seeds and got 4 sprouts and they sprouted in about 7-10 days. I'm with you on the flavor though and they are awesome to stuff.

I did both the rocotillos and rocotos last year. Rocotillos are typically maybe jalapeno hot - that will vary from pod to pod, but about the same in general. My rocotos took a bit longer than others to sprout, but they did sprout. Mine were also pretty much in full sun. However, I'm in OH and I see that you are in FL - the heat seems to be a bigger issue for rocotos, based on convos with others in the south. It is likely that the seller recommended shade to take the heat down a notch, rather than the light level.

I didn't have any problem getting my Rocotos from CPI to germinate, but I've read that they tend to have problems with flower drops in the first year.

I haven't grown them before so I don't know hwo it really is. U've also read about that partial shade thing with them, So i'll be putting mine in airpots under a balcony that gets probably 6 hrs of direct sun light a day. We'll see how they do...

Ive never had rocotillos, but I find the rocotos very easy to germinate. Every one I planted has sprouted in no time.

As others have said, no problemo on Rocoto germination. *Pollination* in the heat, OTOH, has been an issue with me in the past. Low yields, for sure. I bypassed them last year, but have one in my 'flock' this year.

Heat was still a problem for me here with the Rocotos. I had a couple plants that grew to almost 9 feet in the shade, so it's probably something you want to consider doing. They seem to tolerate lower light levels better than most peppers.

Heat was still a problem for me here with the Rocotos. I had a couple plants that grew to almost 9 feet in the shade, so it's probably something you want to consider doing. They seem to tolerate lower light levels better than most peppers.
Did they produce pods in the shade?

Back