• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Rolling with the Dutch

So I'm starting this thread because if there's three cooking utensils that have always followed me wherever I go, it's  my non-stick skillet, by cast iron skillet, and my dutch oven. I've realized though that the dutch oven is probably the most versatile of them all, which made me interested to see what other people cook in their dutch oven. 

Here's one i made this morning. It's a spinach blend coconut rice with cream fatalii peppers and benton's bacon. Cook the bacon, then cook the chopped pepper and chopped onion in the bacon fat for a bit. Next add 1.5-2cups of rice and let that cook up for a while longer. I chose to add more bacon fat at this point. Next, I put in some freshly picked malabar spinach and callaloo which is a caribbean type amaranth spinach. Finally, I added some vegetable broth and coconut milk to cover. Also decided to put in some lemon grass leaves into the duck steeper to get a little lemon flavor without having to fish that stuff out. But really, if only you could taste all the flavors in here. 

20150605_120556.jpg

20150605_123737.jpg

And, just for laughs, I present you...the rasta peppah. 
20150603_163839.jpg

Looking good Jeff. I like your method SOMB, I remember the first time I ever used a dutch oven was in the mountains of Washington. Caught some rainbow trout in a crater lake and cooked it in the dutch oven underground with some coals. Good stuff

BigB - 

I have the same LC in blue.  Love the blazes out of it.  Also appreciate your choice in reading material.  I've subscribed to The Week for the past decade; excellent publication.  :)

SmokenFire said:
BigB - 

I have the same LC in blue.  Love the blazes out of it.  Also appreciate your choice in reading material.  I've subscribed to The Week for the past decade; excellent publication.   :)
As much as I love this LC, it's not mine originally actually it was given to me by my step-grandma. However, I have a blue DO that I got at Aldi's. It didn't come in a box or have a brand name, but it cost me 20$. Had to wait a week for it to lower from 40 haha, but was definitely a good snatch. I had to trash it about a month ago though because the material in the pan cracked or something and started flaking/blowing up one time when i put some oil in it. Oh well, it lasted a good 5 years for costing 20$. 

Pulling this thread around on my desktop machine, because I couldn't find it via Tapatalk earlier =/ ...

Part of our rearranging made the DO's much more accessible, and I just spruced them up a moment ago for action this week ...

Back