• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ronniedeb's 2014 season

This year I will be mostly growing...

SOWN 11th December
PUBESCENS
PI387838 (Locato) - Bolivia
Turbo Pube - Ecuador
PI585273 - Ecuador

SOWN 3-4th January
BACCATUM
DULCE DOLOR - ??
SUGAR RUSH - ??
GUAMPINHO DE VEADO - Brazil
TREPADEIRA DE WERNER – Brazil
INCA BERRY - Peru
INCA RED DROP - Peru
OMNICOLOR - Peru
HEART THROB - Bolivia
PI 260567 - Bolivia
AJI CRISTAL - Chile 
CAP267 - Chile
EL ORO DE ECUADOR - Ecuador
BUBBA- Columbia

CHINENSE
HABANERO BROWN LARGE - ??
CHOCOLATE BHUT - India
NAGA MORICH – India/Bangladesh
CONGO RED - Trinidad
TRINIDAD SCORPION CARDI YELLOW - Trinidad
7 POT PRIMO –US/Trinidad
7POT SR – Trinidad 
FARIA – Trinidad 
HAROLD ST BARTS – St. Barts.
SCOTCH BONNET MOA –Jamaica
ORANGE HABANERO - Mexico
ANTILLAIS CARIBBEAN - Mexico
BENI HIGHLANDS - Bolivia
PI 543205 (BENI MARKET) - Bolivia
CHARAPITA/YELLOW FIRE - Peru
BODE AMARELO - Brazil
PEITO DE MOCA - Brazil 
BRASILIERA MARIBOMDO - Brazil 
FIDALGA - Brazil
FATALII YELLOW – Central African Republic
KATIE– England (Nickdu)
FATALII X MURUPI DOCE - England (Ben123)

WILD/SEMI-WILD
C.galapogense - Ecuador
O´ODHAM CHILTEPIN - USA
C.flexuosum– Paraguay/Argentina
C.tovari - Peru
C.chacoense var. exile (COBINCHO) - Bolivia

SPECIES CROSS
BLACK CHILLI (Chinense x Annuum)
GUSANITO - Bolivia

FRUTESCENS
MALAGUETA - Brazil
PI281353 - Northern Mariana Islands

STILL TO BE SOWN
ANNUUM
SIBERIAN HOUSE PEPPER - SIBERIA??
SERRANO - Mexico
GUAJILLO - Mexico
INDIAN JWALA - India
BERBERE BROWN - Ethiopia
FACING HEAVEN - China
PRIK WIANG PING – China/Thailand
ROOSTER SPUR– Thailand/U.S.A

Well the problem with sowing just before Christmas is that I inevitably neglect my seeds over the holidays. Still, despite a lack of light and water, I have germination of my three pubescens varieties. The PI585273 was first and has raced ahead and gotten lanky. 

All my other seeds except for the annuums have been sown at the weekend. Just 3 seeds of each variety to get as many varieties in as possible.

stickman said:
Good Job Ronan! You're out ahead of me for sure. :)  We've been having a colder spring this year than we've had in decades, but things are still moving (slowly) along. Keep 'em green!
Thanks Stickman! More wet than cold here, though sunnier in last two weeks. Feels like summer is on the way. Had a look at the amount of pages in your glog. I have a lot of catching up to do!!
Tried a few mini-hempy buckets on the living room windowsill this year. The idea was to keep them small. 

That plan hasn't really worked out with these two baccatums. Bit too much nutrient maybe! :roll: These are in pots that are about 1.5l

Heartthrob is just starting to form flowers. I topped this plant when it was still under lights because it was growing so tall in it's rockwool cube. I had hoped that it would bush out, but it just put out new growth from the point at which I had cut it. Its dropped a fair amount of leaves, probably due to underwatering. Gonna have to water often I think.:

Inca Red Drop has several open flowers. Pods on the way hopefully:

Trepadeira Werner in a 2.5ish litre pot. Looking forward to these after trying them last year! 

Beni Highlands also in a 2.5ish litre pot. Starting to flower nicely. My hope is that it can hold onto those flowers.

Awful weather here. Dark, cloudy with outbreaks of torrential rain and thunderstorms. Need some dry weather soon!

The Baccatums in NFT have started to go mental. Tangled mess already. :lol: 

Aji Cristal is bushing out nicely now and flowering well. Looking forward to trying these. 

El Oro de Ecuador setting pods. 

The massive Hearthrob on the windowsill has started to set pods. Hopefully the plant will stop growing now. Spot the aphid. :evil: 

Second truss on the Hillbilly Tomato has two flowers! (First one had one). These tomatoes better be massive.

stickman said:
Love the new pod pics, but the aphid can go where the monkey put his jumper...  Wishing you a decent stretch of sun bro'!
Thanks Stickman! Aphids have been a real problem. Impossible to get rid of them with the Pyethrin spray. Last two years I got some Ladybird larvae in, but have held back this year. 

First Katie pod set!

Antillais Caribean setting loads, but they look like they will stay small and squat. 

A few Habanero Brown large as well.

Beni Highlands is loaded with flowers. None set yet though.

Milder winter has left the Physalis plant in great condition. It's going to be massive come the end of the summer, hopefully. In it's 4th year now, I think. 

Origanum syriacum (Za'atar) Very happy with this plant. After buying some Ebay seeds and having none germinate last year, I feared the worst. This year 1 seed germinated and the plant has been mollycoddled since. 

snagglepuss said:
looking good Ronan, I've had 1 katie pod from my plant but the Lucy is full off pods.
Thanks Snagglepuss. I see you sent Robert Bradshaw over one of your Brazilian Ghosts, fair play to you. Just found some M.O.A pods had set today. Looking forward to trying them. Any ripen for you yet?

got a few moa pods but none ripe yet, just watched Roberts YouTube video, they are mean pods, let me know if you want to try any.

snagglepuss said:
got a few moa pods but none ripe yet, just watched Roberts YouTube video, they are mean pods, let me know if you want to try any.
Yeah, I'd love to try one, but not publicly!!!! I have nothing to offer in return yet though. If there is anything on my list that you'd like, let me know and I'll send them on when ripe. Leave it until later in the season if you want. Thanks! You're a gent.

Your plants in the greenhouse are looking stellar Ronan... new pods are a big bonus! I'm curious to hear if the Syrian Oregano you grew is any more flavorful than the more common Greek Oregano. Here in the States we can get Mexican Oregano (a subspecies of Lemon Verbena) which has a different flavor and pairs well with Tex-Mex food.   http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-mediterra-93923
Are you planning on making up any za'atar spice blend?

stickman said:
Your plants in the greenhouse are looking stellar Ronan... new pods are a big bonus! I'm curious to hear if the Syrian Oregano you grew is any more flavorful than the more common Greek Oregano. Here in the States we can get Mexican Oregano (a subspecies of Lemon Verbena) which has a different flavor and pairs well with Tex-Mex food.   http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-mediterra-93923
Are you planning on making up any za'atar spice blend?

Havent used any yet, but it is definitely more pungent smelling. Kind of like a cross between Marjoram and Thyme. I'll definitely make up a Za'atar spice blend. I've been making some recipes from a cookbook on the food of Jerusalem:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jerusalem-Yotam-Ottolenghi/dp/0091943744
They use a lot of Za'atar. 
Yeah. I need to grow some Mexican Oregano too. It sounds great. 

On the Allotment we have a communal polytunnel with about a 2 square metre section each. I've put a bush tomato and a few chilli peppers into my section. They are mostly in fabric containers. The chillies are also mostly overwinters. 

Unidentified (unlabelled) overwintered baccatum 1 (either CAP220, Aji Escabeche, Starfish, Dedo de Moca, Aji Benito or Madre Vieja)  

Unidentified overwintered baccatum 2

Overwintered Fatalii Red. Not looking the best. Has flowers, but leaves are few and pale. 

Lemon Drop. This plant is small and sprawling but has a fair amount of fruit that are not too far off ripening. I'm hoping it will grow more after that. 

Facing Heaven (Capsicum annuum). This is the main chilli pepper used in Sichuan province. Plant has set lots of fruit and flowers. 

Nice looking OW plants Ronan! Do you think you'll take them out into the sun if it stops raining so much? How did you like the Dedo de Moca last year? I'm growing it for the first time this year and have no idea what to expect. Keep up the good work!

stickman said:
Nice looking OW plants Ronan! Do you think you'll take them out into the sun if it stops raining so much? How did you like the Dedo de Moca last year? I'm growing it for the first time this year and have no idea what to expect. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Stickman. I'll leave them undercover. Nice weather this week, but even in the summertime our weather is pretty changeable. We can get cold night temps, strong winds and heavy rain. Yeah, I think we discussed Dedo de Moca on your growlog last year. There are apparently two different baccatum Dedo de Mocas. The one I grew had large 15x4 cm sweet heatless pods.

More from the Allotment.
This is a little polythene greenhouse I inherited from a friend. It's made from plumbing pipes. I'll get a better photo next time. 

Guajillo:

Unknown overwintered baccatum

India Jwala

Rooster Spur

Just Starting to put pods out:

Guampinho de Veado was sickly for a while, but new growth is nice and green.

ronniedeb said:
Thanks Stickman. I'll leave them undercover. Nice weather this week, but even in the summertime our weather is pretty changeable. We can get cold night temps, strong winds and heavy rain. Yeah, I think we discussed Dedo de Moca on your growlog last year. There are apparently two different baccatum Dedo de Mocas. The one I grew had large 15x4 cm sweet heatless pods.

OK... sorry about that... I guess I forgot. :doh:

I got my seeds from Pepperlover. com     Judy just updated her chile info to include some idea of the heat levels and flavor... http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/pepper-species/capsicum-baccatum/dedo-de-moca-detail

That's a bad-ass looking greenhouse you inherited! Is the framework made of PVC plastic?
  1. http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/pepper-species/capsicum-baccatum/dedo-de-moca-detail

Back