• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Rookie Superhot SoCal Glog Updated: 5/11/15 (1st page Growlist)

Good day, this is my first post here but I've been lurking for a couple days to get the feel for what I can tell is a forum filled with nice people.

Having seen Kevin's late start Glog, it kind of empowered me to do the same.

I live in Bakersfield California, which is a desert ecosystem made arable by being situated in a valley and lots of manpower. There's a lot of agriculture here, and it's pretty well known here that we have an especially long growing season, with pepper fruiting temperatures even into December.

I think I have a chance to get some pods, at the least, well established plants for next spring.

I'm experimenting with grow tech, first storebought tech: I'm growing in Topsy Turvy tomato trees, several of them, they were on crazy clearance and they're constructed of steel. I plan on crafting my own bags using fabric pots to hang on the frame after these plants are gone or the bags rip.

I don't know the logistics of entangled roots in the end of my first plant cycle, but I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens :)

My plan is to go to by the wisdom of a great many people who say that if you want a big plant in a small pot, feeeeeeeeeed itttt. So I have a Dripline irrigation setup using soaker hoses, and my plan is to gravity drip teas and ferts to my plants on a consistent basis without overwatering.

Soil is all organic, a mix of compost, worm casts, potting soil, and garden soil.

Fertilizer will be AACT when my setup is ready, for now it's FPE; Fermented Plant Extracts and AACT Made the old fashioned way, stirring.
I'll  also be employing Mycorrhizals, I'm using Mykos Xtreme Gardening which utilizes their strain of Glomus intraradices, they're RTI's direct brand, RTI produces most of the Glomus in cultivation, and I wanted to give them a try.

But enough with the Logistics, I'm sure you guys want to hear what plants I'm growing! Well there's quite a list

Updated 10/20 to reflect living plants

Bhut Jolokia
Peach Bhut
White Bhut
Indian Carbon Bhut

Orange Hab
Chocolate Hab
Peach Hab Added 7/21

Antilles Red Caribbean Added 7/21
MoA Jamaican Scotch Bonnets Added 7/5

Jamaican Hot Chocolate Added 6/27

Aji Dulce Added 7/5

Douglah 7 Pot
White 7 Pot
Bubblegum 7 Pot (F4) added 7/5

Butch T Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion Added 7/21

Yellow Fatalii Added 7/5

Satan's Kiss
Red Hot Cherry Added 6/28
Pimiento Added 6/28
Hot Thai Added 6/28
Gypsy Added 6/28
Tabasco Added 6/28
Aleppo Added 7/5
Urfa Biber Added 7/5
Bonda me Jacques Added 7/5
Jaloro Added 7/5 (No sprouts)
Green Bean Added 7/5
Tepin Added 7/21
Pequin Added 7/21

Peppadew Added 7/5
Aji Lemon Drop Added 7/5

Added 8/2, A plethora of varieties from Wicked Mike!

Dong Xuan Viet Market (C. Baccatum)
Venezuelan Tiger (no sprouts)
Trini Mystery
Red and Yellow Steer/Bull Horns
Red Dulcetta
Aji Lemon Drop (why not start more?)
Indian Jwala
Ot Hiem
Pepperoncini
Trinidad Perfume
Golden Marconi

Nonpeppers:
Purple and Green Tomatillos

Added 8/11, Hogleg's trade
Goatweed

seeds from Pepperlover:

Bradleys Bahamian
Pimenta da Neyde
Bishop's Hat/ Orchid (PI 497974)
Brazilian Starfish (PI 439368)

Then some more normal varieties:
Anaheims
Cayenne

And I have a wonderful Ornamental Black Prince (which has some great hot peppers :) )
but it won't be necessarily updated in the grow log.

Wish List:
Burning Bush!

I will post pictures as soon as I have established seedlings, and I'll update when I transplant, flower, etc. I'm just germinating now, doing a nute soak right now and it'll go into the bags after, I have high success this way with anything that's not beans..

I like the Pepper community, I got my seeds from Pepperseedman1971 and he threw in several awesome bonuses including some of his Peach Bhut powder, so good. Can't wait to make my own :)

Thanks guys for reading, have a great day.

Good news. A: I can use colloidal silver as an aphid treatment

B: as I dreamed, Judy sent me 5 extra wild varieties, most were out of stock.

Cgn 22795
Cgn 19198
Cgn 20812
Cap 215
Most prolific Chacoense

So my species list is:

Annuum
Baccatum
Chacoense
Chinense
Eximium
Frutescens
Praetermissum
Pubescens

Exciting news, Im 80% sure Im building a hoop house soon. Theres a 20% chance itll be straight walled or wooden.

Im just pricing and sourcing materials now, but the fun starts soon.

I stopped top watering (started again randomly) as I rotted seedling stems.

Bottom watering again, things look damp but healthy.

Sadly my potted lemon drop is drooping, too much water I think.
Hope it recovers

My jhc keeps putting out bad leaves. I need to check and see if calcium lockout is a thing or add some calmag to soil.

Oh no! Some how, some way (I suspect too much herb) I have 3 seedlings whose color code I didnt write down and now theyre effectively mystery seeds.

Minor update.

Ordered fabric to make pots

I planted all of my stray tomato plants into tomato trees and doubled my ghetto shadecloth operations to make room for more seedlings.

I have some wilds popping :) can`t wait for them to sprout.

I remembered what my mystery coded seedlings were, tomatoes from WM seeds.

I wonder if I have too many tomatoes. We'll see.

My hoophouse is somewhat delayed because of a sudden medical charge :( but I wont need it for a couple months, no rush.

Received my commercial "air compressor" to make aact. It's probably overkill, but I figure it can be adapted to other projects as needed.

I'm going to connect aquaria tubing to porous soaker tubing, the same stuff I use for my tomato trees. This will produce a lot of bubbles :)

I also snagged Romy's recent Shit load of Peppers, so I can't wait to get them, he's got cumari and chuncho, both of which I'm growing, can't wait to try 'em. :)

I'll post pics when they get here.

Jaysus, I checked in here when you started up but it's been awhile. Had a few laughs, a few tears (expression, not reality) while reading it over.

Where you restraining or being restrained? :rofl:

Medical charge? Change?  :eh:

I'm glad you sent that PM, I was wondering how to put it out there without just blatantly making a thread XD I'll throw a list together today.

I have a restraining order on someone else and the charge was money I owed for a dental ooeration :)

Sounds good. Glad you enjoyed the glog

Hey there :) Long post to follow, but here's my 10 images I can post atm.

I've been in school, and dealing with it has been too consuming, I've also been working on an indoor grow room to see what Coco Hydro Chinense plants can do under LEDs. It's a WIP, but anyway, here's the garden!

This here's my white Bhut, easily the best Bhut I have growing from my Ebay seed,

Here are some wilds

My Big Plant area, includes my Black Prince, JHC, Bonda me Jacques, and a couple others. Also, big tomato plants in one pot on right, probably a bad idea, but we'll see if maxibloom will help it.

A trio of Hot Chinense Red Peppers from Spain, brought to me from a market in Valencia by my friend.

Red Hot Cherry Peppers, gonna pickle them :)

My very yummy Cherokee Purple Tomatoes, here's what they looked like before a fall heatwave :-/

Here's what I got from that. Still eating them :p

10th Pic, my Black Prince, finally flowering again, and in force! Oddly, it's buds get swarmed with aphids, but I just need to make more AACT, it's drastically reduced their occupancy.

---

So, yeah, life has been a whirlwind, most of my money has gone to investing in my future, and I've made some fantastic trades with some great THP people here, and I only have one person waiting for my trade, who I've kept waiting due to my lack of money and anxiety about ensuring that my package gets to it's destination in Canada, thankfully he's assured me that his season is still some time away.. In return for his chill attitude with it and how bad I feel since he sent me quite a birthday trade, I plan on sending him a lot more seeds than originally promised. XD

At the moment, I'm really only harvesting tomatoes and the occasional eggplant, none of the peppers I have planted from seed have flowered yet. I think that if I had a major factor in these things it was just being so slow on getting my fabric pots put together, getting manure, starting seeds extreme heat and not using shadecloth at first, etc. I've noticed amazing differences between the rates of growth in plants that I started after the heatwave in solocups, or heck, even peat pots after all the heat. Sure, I have some big plants, but since I still have plenty of tiny ones that are the same age as the big ones, well, I don't understand it.. yet. But Practice and knowledge exchanged with people like those here will help me oodles. I suspect that my spring season will be the best, this summer/fall was really just practice because I was too darn excited to grow peppers!!!

That said, I am happy to live in a place where I can overwinter my plants with ease, so I hope to find encouraging results this way, granted that I don't overwater my plants.. it's definitely a lot easier to overwater when it's cooler, oi. There will be a lot of bottom watering in their future, I refuse to kill more plants by rotting their stems. (mostly seedlings)

My sadness? All my MoAs died, and I traded away all my isolated MoA seeds because I thought they'd survive.. :(

LF Trade for MoAs <3

Sounds good to me :P

Not sure if it's an issue, but don't go sendin' any MOA if you're out, I've got loads of magic beans to trade and will surely come across them soon enough :)

Got more seeds from Judy! Well, ordered them :D Couldn't resist getting several turkish varieties, and some MoAs! All of mine have passed :(

Thought of the day: Start more plants now or wait for the new year?

Hm. We'll see, it already looks like I'll have my work cut out for me overwinter.

Anyway :D So, I will detail the new Seeds I got from Pepperlover.com sooner than later, I picked up some really interesting varieties and some Isolated Goat's Weed to plant a few and trade away, apparently the plant is supposed to be pubescent, but mine are growing like Baccatums, tall and hairless. So the OP seeds I got are definitely spitting out other crosses :p All good, but I like having pure strains labeled and anything else, can be whatever it wants to be and grow in my garden fine as an example of hybrid vigor :p

Ok, new list from Judy:

Albanian Red Hot
Bell of Lebanon
Star of Turkey
Aji Cito
Aji Habanero
Aji Melachoto (not spelled right atm)
Turkey Sweet Ball
Cinammon Bell
Giant Stuffed Red
Farmer's Market Jalapeno
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow
Bull's Heart
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Sulu Adana
Oily Paste
Aji Gusanito

So many nice people here! My trade thread has been a rousing success and I have a lot of seeds coming :) I'll add lists when I get em.

I guess this Glog is now in fall intercession. I don't expect my plants outside to do much until I get poly over them so they stay warmer.

Hoophouse/greenhouse etc are still in planning, trying to keep my costs down.

Indoor grow is chilling till I get some pots I wanted ready.

Looking at the pictures from just October 10th, I have to say that some of my bigger potted plants like the white bhut and Bonda are triple the size they were, crazy because they've really just been having cool weather mostly days in the 70's and nights in the 50's but they really started pushing out growth, the bhut looks like a tiny bush.

I'm preparing a picture update but I wanted to pipe in.

We had our first major rain last night, it was crazy, I filled 30+ gallons of roof drainoff, and added some to my AACT. I used to think that it wasn't good for the plants but I've since read about how the detritus and bird poop collects up there, some of it is broken down, etc, but either way that the drainoff is kinda like a compost tea. So I'm storing it to add to my AACT. Locally collected bird droppings, yay. About time, they're eating all my persimmons :p

In other news, the very hairy seedling that I nearly threw out because it looked like a weed seedling but I didn't on the off chance it was actually a Pubescence?

Well, it's a Pube. Definitely my only growing Pube atm, it's an Orange Rocoto based off of my straw label. Hope it's enjoying the weather.

I finished my closet grow room and put in several peppers including my poor Black Prince who got overwatered by a sprinkler over the course of a few days without me noticing and has lost all it's lovely leaves. But it's gonna survive, I took it out of the pot because I'll get my fabric bags in a couple days and I'm letting it dry out. It was originally planted with too much sand in it's mix and that definitely caked around it's roots depriving them of oxygen.

I wasn't thinking about bugs when I brought things in, I just wanted to get them away from the rain and into a room they could grow for a while :) Though I did spend some time knocking off any aphids or aphid corpses I found. I did see a couple gnats. Think I'll have to grow a drosera, a butterwort, and a ground bladderwort in here lol (Puts that in notes for later)

In the meantime I'm just gonna spray them all with AACT when I'm done with this post, it really seemed to diminish aphids for me even though I still don't understand fully the mechanism (I wonder what bacteria in aact kills their gut bactera? sounds like a bio project for me when I get my microscope)

My Hoophouse is coming along!

I've got a bender coming for 1-3/8s top rail 17g steel. I'm then going to pound some bigger pipe into the ground to serve as supports.
Put the hoops together, cover them with some high grade 4 year sunsaver growfilm with the IR retention film, secure it with wigglewires and then secure the structure with purlins, which after the wind last night, I think went from a maybe to a definite need in my budget plans :-/
And then I'm going to put in some compost heaters in the hoophouse with piles of compost underneath pallets that I'll put my plants on. I also have blacksoldierfly larva who will turn all the compost in trenches into even better soil that I can later use for plants.

So I'm happy, I really want to fill the hoophouse with plants (with spacial considerations for tending to each one :) )

If things go well, and atm, I don't see why they won't. I'll have the season of my dreams next year. Bring on the bugs and the disease! Let me see you take on my AACT innoculations and ladybugs in a closed environment! I'm ready for disaster, but boy am I hoping for wonders :)

Sounds like you've always got something new and exciting! I'll be following your glog for all these updates... And hopefully next year, too!

Please do Mason, I am really hoping for awesome things. It's basically a budget top priority, to the point of making payment arrangements with the utilities. Kinda like how some people here put a lot in to start their hotsauce company to the point of some really poor months, but maybe less so. It's not a huge expense, just a lot at once, I'll have to tally my costs at the end to make sense of it all, at the moment I'm just buying cheap as I can for the highest quality to efficiency ratio, I'm reaaaalll good at finding coupons and buying things on sale, even for stuff you wouldn't expect.

I bought Poly remnants and saved $30 for buying a sheet that was already cut.
Benders were on sale, 20% off till the 1st
sourcing the other parts locally, honestly the hoophouse has only been a part of the expense. I've spent about $200 on fabric pots and lining, my Compost tea ingredients and setup definitely ran $60, but I'm happy to do it.. oh and seeds.. trades and purchases, but I'm happy, really thrilled to be among likeminded people here, it really makes it a funner hobby.

Back