• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Root Bound Pepper Plant

I have a butch t. Scorpion in my raised bed that is yellowish with purple stems and my research said that this meant it was becoming root bound which is a high possibility. My question is that if being root bound is the case what will happen if it gets worse?

You usually find a plant to be root bound (or pot bound) when a plant is too large for its container and there is not enough lateral room for roots to expand. Roots are constrained by the edges and bottom of the pot and continue to grow around themselves. But you usually find it in container growing, not in a raised bed.

could drainage be your issue, perhaps the soil is not porous enough to drain excess moisture away from the plants roots?
(you are in a State that is virtually at sea level - just guessing)

I found that Rootbound plants do the following:

Leaves get crisper, crinkly and bumpy with some cupping.
New Growth slows dramatically or halts completely
Healthy looking leaves start dropping

Purple stalks is just an indication of excess UV light, the plant is producing a sort of suntan to reflect the UV or convert it to heat. Yellowing is an indication of a nutrient deficiency, typically -Nitrogen or -Magnesium which also might be caused by pH greater than or equal to 8 or pH lower than 5.

Thanks everyone for the rplies i have decided to give the plant some nitrogen and just see what happens. As long as i get a few pods to try from it i will consider it a success.

How deep is your raised bed, and how big is your plant?
It is about 8 to 10 inches deep with landscaping fabric on the bottom and the plant is about 3 and a half foot tall.I have read somewhere that the roots can grow through the landscaping fabric but i also saw where a pepper plants roots had gotten caught up in the jiffy pellet netting so i was kind of hesitant to believe it could grow through the fabric.

Thanks everyone for the rplies i have decided to give the plant some nitrogen and just see what happens. As long as i get a few pods to try from it i will consider it a success.

If you want fruit, lay off high nitrogen fertilizers or you next posts will ask about flower drop. Repot/replant and don't fertilize if they're root-bound..

Back