• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Roots poking out bottom but still no true leaves?

Seedlings with their cotyledons still attached don't need ferts - the purpose of the cotyledons is to feed the plant while it is still basically a baby. One thing I haven't seen is how long it's been since it came up. Depending on the grow conditions, it can take a while for the first true leaves to appear.

Also, if you have it on a heat mat, get it off of it. The heat mat is only needed for germination - once a seed sprouts, it is no longer needed, and can result in what you are seeing - the plant is focusing too much attention on the roots instead of both the roots and the stem/leaves.

geeme said:
Seedlings with their cotyledons still attached don't need ferts - the purpose of the cotyledons is to feed the plant while it is still basically a baby. One thing I haven't seen is how long it's been since it came up. Depending on the grow conditions, it can take a while for the first true leaves to appear.

Also, if you have it on a heat mat, get it off of it. The heat mat is only needed for germination - once a seed sprouts, it is no longer needed, and can result in what you are seeing - the plant is focusing too much attention on the roots instead of both the roots and the stem/leaves.

Yes I am aware the cotyledons are meant to feed the sprouts, however I started them on fertiliser b/c they are already 5-6 weeks old and have not grown much. Not to mention many of the cotyledons are starting to turn yellow. As of today though, many of the sprouts have at least one pair of leaves with a few putting out their next pair.

The particular one I mentioned in this thread is one that is 6 weeks old.

My heat mat is on active duty germinating seeds, so no none of these seedlings have been on it since they sprouted. I keep them inside a makeshift grow box on 18/6 light cycle.

If anything, this year has started out as a good learning experience and I have made notes based on my experience and of course the advice of everyone here that I will be digesting and applying next year.

Fil...there is always the chance that one sprout had damage to the primary node. If that is the case it probably won't grow any further. It being a Jalapeno it should already be getting very big. 

For reference, here are my Jalapeno and other Annuums exactly one month after seeds were planted...
lR4ArGm.jpg

The near tray are all Annuums. 

Hmm, you may have something there. Although I still think it is just slow. Yesterday I noticed a little nub between the cotys that is noticeably bigger today.

Also I think my environmental factors may play a role in slow growth as well. I likely don't have enough light; I have two grow boxes with two CFLS each which only produce about 1500LM for each box. And ambient temperature in the grow area is on the low end---5c (41F) - 15c (59F)---usually hovering around 10c (50F) during the day.

Quick question, does burying the main stem deeper have an effect on growth? For example maybe slow it down?

Your babies look fantastic btw!

Everything below the cotys will readily grow roots, above them will grow roots as well, but not as readily so any deeper is not recommended. More light and more warmth will help a ton. 

stc3248 said:
Everything below the cotys will readily grow roots, above them will grow roots as well, but not as readily so any deeper is not recommended. More light and more warmth will help a ton. 

I did bury the stems a bit when I repotted into their current homes, so I wonder if they have been spending energy below the soil. Who knows.

It also looks like we'll be having some fairly sunny weather for the rest of the week, minus a day or so in the middle. So my plan is to move the better growing ones into my mini green house next to the window, then put the rest into a single grow box and wire up all four CFLs for just that box and see how they do.

Back