• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Royal Black, White Devil's Tongue, Rocotos

A few quick questions if you all don't mind. I've included photos at the bottom:

1) Royal Black: Pictures I've seen of this plant show it to be essentially black. I have two of these growing. One is almost a foot tall, the other a bit shorter, but both are green. Do they require a lot of sunlight to display the black color? My Pimente de Neyde is in a similar location, but it is the normal blackish color. Or do I have a not-Royal Black?

2) White Devil's Tongue (WDT): Are these particularly difficult to germinate? I germinated seeds for over 90 varieties this year and had few problems, except for the WDT and a couple of Rocotos, which I will address below. For the WDT, I tried seeds from pods I'd acquired last year and zero out of 15 popped. I then ordered seeds for them from a very reputable vendor on this site and so far I am zero out of ten. I am soaking my last eight seeds now to try one last time (vendor seeds). Does this variety require anything special for germination? For what it's worth, I have Red Devil's Tongue growing and it popped, no problem. Also, I tried both starter mix and Rapid Rooters to no avail.

3) Rocotos: Also giving me difficulties are Red Rocoto (RR) and Giant Mexican Rocoto (GMR). I had seeds from a forum member for RR, and got seeds for both from another reputable vendor on this site (different source than the WDT above, though). Not only have the germ rates been poor, but what seedlings I have managed to get seem very weak and are incredibly slow growing. For the RR, I got two seedlings out of 15 seeds. For the GMR, I just recently got two hooks out of about 15 seeds (three germination attempts with five seeds each time). Again, I tried both starter mix and Rapid Rooters. Zero activity in the starter mix. What germination I got was only with Rapid Rooters.

The Royal Black plant is the one in the middle of the pic:

RBgreen_zpsf143f07b.jpg

For reference, Pimente de Neyde:

PdNdark_zps74242404.jpg

This is my oldest Red Rocoto. This came from seed I got from a forum member. It was sowed 10/14/12. So were all the other plants surrounding it.

RR1110_zps609f35c9.jpg

Here is the most recent RR seedling, sowed 12/9/12. Most of the seedlings around it were sowed 12/19!

RR129_zps3fadad49.jpg

Finally, the GMR. These were sowed 12/19/12 and started to pop about four days ago. They have changed very little in four days. Some change, but not very much.

GMR1219_zps8c729213.jpg

If anyone has any helpful thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated!

I also have the WDTs from the same vender, as you know. I will be starting mine soon, and will let you know the results.

Thanks, GA. It would be good to know. Everything else I got from that vendor popped just fine. I just sowed the last eight of those seeds to see if there's a good seed in there somewhere. :)

Mine took a few days longer than normal but didn't do anything special , picked my first pod yesterday
6dfcbf7ffa605733ca614ab402036869.jpg

The shape ain't quite there but the colour is gr8 , the pic makes it a bit yellow.
Good luck hope they go . If u get stuck I cud send sum seeds but would need to wait for the crop to ripen

Mine took a few days longer than normal but didn't do anything special , picked my first pod yesterday

The shape ain't quite there but the colour is gr8 , the pic makes it a bit yellow.
Good luck hope they go . If u get stuck I cud send sum seeds but would need to wait for the crop to ripen

Looks good! Thanks for the offer, very kind of you. No worries, though. If I have a couple of varieties out of 90 that don't pop, I can live with it. Just was wondering if there was anything unusual about them.

Back