• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Rural or Urban

grantmichaels said:

It's a question of B/W ... how much bandwidth do you get per dollar ...

speed test says I'm at 30Mbps down and 6Mbps up.  Paying $70/mo w Comcast.

On this machine (wireless dongle) I'm getting 15MB/12MB ... it's around 45MB/15MB on the desktop (LAN) ... and I pay $75 to Comcast ...

Let us not talk about the rest of the Comcast bill, though, for TV ... that I don't really watch ... that's Danielle's expense ...

sirex said:
How much are you rural guys paying for internet access?
 About $50 a month. We have fiber optic to the house. I get get 20M download and 1M upload with a ping of 28ms. Not bad for being in the middle of nowhere. Plus I have been downloading 24/7 for the last 3 years and nothing has been said.

Not sure what the internet portion is.  My phone is a wifi hot spot, 4g what ever that is.  Bout a hundred bucks a month for unlimited everything that is really unlimited.  Satellite internet is about 45.00 / month but I like being able to take my access where ever I go.

We have some rather strange zoning regs in my part of the world.  I live in suburb, bordering a National Park with my only neighbour in front of me (about 150m away in the valley bottom) zoned agriculture (they are a large fruit wholesaler with a gazillion chickens and geese), the property next to him used to be a dairy farm which is now going to be a luxury housing development - with a chunk zoned for agriculture!  We have a very large chunk to the east that used to be a game reserve (breeding Cape buffalo!) that is now a passion fruit farm!  And all of this on a major highway with very densely-populated suburbs and huge shopping malls within a km radius.  Across the highway (in the valley bottom - I'm on the north-facing slopes) we have equestrian estates and neighbouring them to the west we have a light industrial park - with food manufacturing, lumber yards, boat builders, ceramics and building supplies!

And I'm zoned urban, single residential!  Not that it matters - it's like a friggin farm at our place anyway. More that half the available undeveloped space is under cultivation - lemons and chiles.

So basically we're on the urban/rural fringe.  Useful if you need some plumbing supplies, spare parts, booze. 

The nearest Stop Light is 45 miles away.

Our water comes out of the ground.

There is a mountain range (The Cascades) just outside my window.

We put our speakers out on the patio and no one can hear us.

It takes 15 minutes to walk across our property.

We live in the middle of the highest Mule Deer population in North America and they all love our yard.

Everyone I know has multiple guns, chainsaws and a four wheel drive.

The nearest "city" is Seattle. 4 hours away.

Rural but Suburban is coming. Just two acres, but I back up to quite a bit of open land. Been here 20 years and the City is encroaching quickly. I will never live in a neighborhood. I deal with so many civil issues at work just from stupid neighborhood disputes now. I want to be able to take a leak in my own backyard without being called on for indecent exposure, burn my tumble weeds without the fire department showing up, and shoot a rabbit or coyote without being spanked for discharging a firearm. 

Now if I can just find a home near Scovie!  :D

"We live in the middle of the highest Mule Deer population in North America and they all love our yard."

Scoville DeVille said:

It takes 15 minutes to walk across our property.

We live in the middle of the highest Mule Deer population in North America and they all love our yard.

That's awesome. I didn't know you had that much land. Can you hunt on your property?

Some day I will live in the country...

Reading the answers, I can not help bur realize how blessed I am.  There are so many people who answered urban / suburban but added that they want to live rural.  After military, went urban with first wife, then suburban with first home.  Then divorce and moved to the worst possible way of living: Condo.  You know, where they tell you that you own the place but you can not do a damn thing you want to do.  Then one lane road where occasionally you gotta get out the car and encourage the cow to get out the road.

Recently, much time to read forums and news.  Even now that I am planting out, I am only good for maybe an hour before I need to sit for a time.  Been reading a lot about people getting busted by their city for growing the wrong thing in the wrong place.  It is usually around the theme of you can not grow food in your front yard, but sometimes it is you cant grow food anywhere on your property.  Oh damn, and the how tall your grass can be with an exemption for ornamental grass.  I'd let it all go to seed and say the entire damn lawn is ornamental.

So wondering of you folk who are urban but want to be rural, is it because you want more land, want to do things they wont let you, or is it a general distaste for your municipality / homeowners association constantly checking your prostate?  I like having a wee bit of land, love the decreased regulations, but really like being able to shit without worry that I will flush a member of town council after i do.

muskymojo said:
Can you hunt on your property?
Yes, and fish too. But only with the proper licenses (and permission haha). Our property borders the Methow river. World class Steelhead fishing. Hogleg fished it when he was here. 'Cept it was 4° and the fish were not havin it. LOL

Back