• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Safest Way To Exterminate These?

I have about 50 dixie cups with a bunch of strong seedlings just getting their second and third set of true leaves. In the past 3 days I have noticed more and more of these insects flying around. So far my plants seem fine but I don't want to take any risks, that and my grow table is beside my couch and my girlfriend is threatening to dispose of the problem (my plants) if I don't get rid of these flies! What am I dealing with here? (Other than a crazy pepper killing girlfriend) Also I am in Toronto so I don't think if I can get any pesticides because our government restricted everything.

Infestation_zps50ff3593.jpg

Definitely fungus gnats...pesticide your soil, make sure the top layer dries out completely, spray them any time you see them. Your soil looks a little too wet...maybe something better draining for future reference?

Millman got it. Fungus gnats, your pic tells me a lot. Form what I can see your soil is very wet and the burnt tip on the leaf. Sooooo..... you need a fan blowing on your seedlings and consider bottom watering to keep the surface soil dry. To help get all these burgers there's many ways you can get em with, vacuum, sticky fly traps, venomous fly trap, sundew, anything. That will help you with the adult population, but you still have to worry about the larvae. The larvae likes to chew on the roots of seedlings and eventually kill them. I would say try to let your soil dry between waterings and I think that should help. Someone can probably give you better advice to help control the larvae. Good luck.

,Vegas

Ideally, see if you can get some natural predators of fungus gnats, like these: http://www.buglogica...ypoaspis-miles/

Like everyone above said, back off on the watering, too. Make sure the leaves start drooping a tad before you water again, and get a fan on them. Try spraying the surface of your soil with hydrogen peroxide, to help eliminate what is attracting the fungus gnats.

Mosquito dunks. Seriously, water with water that has a puck soaked in it overnight at least and reap the rewards of natural pest control.

I had a hell of a time with these things last year. This year, I used all new equipment - cups, soil,and anything at all, just in case there would be some viable eggs attached somewhere. Well, they came back anyways - had to be the soil I bought.

Anyways, I keep a small computer case fan in the growbox, and they completely disappeared. There is somewhat of a lid on this growbox - maybe they got sucked in one side of the fan (they are not very strong fliers) and got killed in the process? I haven't seen a fungus gnat since the day after hooking up this fan in the growbox. That was about 2 weeks ago - we will see what the next two weeks bring, however.

If they do return, I will go get a product with Bacillus thuringiensis - a bacteria that apparently destroys the larvae. Heard many good things, but haven't tried it myself. It is 'safe' - all natural products usually unless they are mixed with other insecticides (which I will personally avoid).

Here is a pretty good page describing them, and how to get rid of them:
http://culturesheet.org/pests:fungus_gnats

Fungus gnats took a huge toll on me last year. They lay their eggs in moist soil and when they hatch out the larvae go straight to the roots of young seedlings. They can also get inside the seed shell and eat the seed before it germinates. I've got photos around here showing this. Go with the mosquito dunks.

Perfect thanks, I will see if I can find some dunks around here, if not I'll order online. I transplanted them into the dixie cups about 7 days ago and used miracle grow soil. I gave it all a good soaking and it hasn't dried up yet. I am also going to be putting a fan on and fly traps, I really don't want to loose my seedlings to these things, I already lost my ghost to aphids this year.

Yep JoynersHP open water attracts them too and kills them just fine as they suck at swimming. I found the mosquito dunks at my local hydro shop.

Agreed on the mosquito dunks. I had some crappy soil that can with mosquito gnats and they completely infested my grow area. I kept a moqsuito dunk soaking in my watering can at all times, and I used that water on the other seedlings I started so that the bti would already be in them. I also put up fly paper to catch the adults. Once I did that and switched soils the gnats went away in a few weeks. Now I don't ever see them.

As per a suggestion above by Vegas Chili, has anyone tried Sundew plants? I wonder if they would work better than sticky paper. I don't think a Venus Fly Trap would work - I think the hairs are not sensitive enough for the majority of gnats, with the possible exception of the largest ones.

Also, I noticed just a cup of water would not do the trick from my 'war' with them last year. They don't seem to have a problem getting out of water - but put a drop of soap or oil, and they are doomed! I believe it coats their wings making it impossible for them to fly away. I tried various traps with vinegar, fruits, etc., all with underwhelming results. My best weapon was the vacuum :(

You also want to check out where else they may 'nest' in. After I took all my peppers outside in the spring, I still had fungus gnats in the house for a few months. Turns out they were laying eggs in the over-flow of the bathroom sink - and I thought my sink was very clean! Seems they will lay eggs anywhere that is moist.

By the way, I am never going to buy Miracle grow soil any longer - that is where my most recent infestation came from (but so far, by complete luck, it seems my case fan in-between my plants has taken care of the problem - if not, I am going to try the dunks).

Fly trap or something sticky for them to get stuck on. I can't seem to avoid getting them. I hate to use any chemicals personally.

By the way, I am never going to buy Miracle grow soil any longer - that is where my most recent infestation came from (but so far, by complete luck, it seems my case fan in-between my plants has taken care of the problem - if not, I am going to try the dunks).

I'll second that Miracle Gro soil. Actually, any soil that has been sitting around in the big box stores is suspect.

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but so I'll be the first in this thread to recommend Azatrol/Azamax. It kills the larva dead. Still need sticky traps for the adults though. Hard as hell to get them all, but I have managed to keep them under control so they aren't really doing any damage anymore.

I've been having a terrible time with them this year. I just gave all my plants a good soil soaking with Gnatrol last night so we will see how it works out.

I read somewhere else that just about any bagged soils you buy will have the eggs present just waiting to hatch and munch down on the roots of whatever plant that gets put into it.

Never will I buy MIracle grow, or any bag soil again. I knew there was something wrong when it was a bit damp when I opened it. Plus bagged soil is overpriced $6 for a bag is insane, but my bulk soil pile is frozen. I get quality soils from the manufacturer for $18/yd at miller (contractor pricing.) It seems that nobody I can find currently has mosquito dunks in Toronto, Home Depot carries them online only, and in store they only have BT-K. I went to a couple Home Hardware locations near me, the one at 1841 Wilson Ave, North York had a different product called Aqua Bac BT-I 500g for ~$25. So I now have a lifetime supply of the stuff. Also installed sticky traps and temporarily put a block heater *really loud on fan mode beside my plants as I forgot to buy a fan.

50474511.jpg
20130308_174130_zpsf7a41153.jpg

Back