• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Saffron's Kalamazoo Michigan

I am a very big curry lover. I think I am a natural fit for this forum as I tend to eat and make the hotter more spicy curries.

Saffron's located in Kalamazoo Michigan is a natural spot for me.
They at first glance are not impressive, as they are located in one of those mini style malls, the type with a Boricks on one end, and a used record store on the other... Well walking in that all changes.

THE PLACE
Inside will surprise you, colored in deep oranges and browns, light music playing, it is dark and warm. Ample room also.

THE STAFF
Impressive, gracious, warm, informative.. That just begins to describe them. They cater to your every whim. Your glass will never see empty here, nor will you have to worry about plates or dishes clutter. Glasses tend to magically be filled, and excess plates and dishes tend to simply go away...

THE MENU
Now for some this may be a turn off. There are no "combo" plates here (see below for one exception). Everything is "Ala Cart" and sold individually. The menu is broken up into several sections, and the menu gives good descriptions. No matter what region you are from in India, or what regions food you like. Not a problem, as they have you covered.

THE FOOD
I have had just about every lamb and Chicken dish on the menu, along with several veggy dishes. The Lamd and or Chicken Vindaloo is not only very hot, (they WILL warn you about it if you order it) it is simply divine... The basis Chicken curry is excellent, mild enough for the kids to even eat. The Naan, is well the best, as it is cooked in a real clay oven. Their Dahls, or excellent also. The saffron rice is above par, and they have for 19.95 something called the Maharasha feast... Lamb Curry, Naan, Saffron Rice, Curry Soup, Appetizers, 1/2 Tandoori Chicken, Cardamon Coffee finished with Kheer... If you finish it I will buy your dinner!

THE PRICE
Now this is a matter of debate. Myself and my wife go there and eat dinner, and I mean EAT dinner... With sodas the tab is about 40.00 with Liquor 50.00. Some say this is crazy expensive. I personally don't, I mean for forty bucks we can eat a feast, relax, and the food is perfect EVERY time...

THE BAD PART
Simply the parking. They are a victim of the mini strip mall, combined with a popular Lebanese food place next door, and a party store on the other side. Don't let the location fool ya, this place is a curry heads dream.

We have a resturant like that here in flint Grill of India its my favorite.

I normally get Chicken Cylone and have them make it has hot as they can with garlic nanh bread double yum;)

Back