• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense SAFI RED , HABANERO CARIBBEAN RED , RED SAVINA , WHOS THE BEST ?

ColdSmoke said:
member when Tabasco was like the only hot sauce?
I member...
I also member thinking cayenne is jalapeno for some reason. Aaaah, the early years.

Safi looks interesting. So far I only grew caribbeans and I love them. Moderately hot, good taste...

They're all great.  Scotch Bonnet varieties will always beat habaneros on flavor, in my book.  If you grow the Safi you probably want to top it once or twice early on to avoid having a lanky ass top heavy plant by the time it fruits.  On the habs, the Caribbean Red has the same exact flavor of the Red Savina with about half the heat on average and thinner walls.  Those two are essentially the exact same pepper, with one being bred through the years for maximum heat.  If you're only growing one and are focused on flavor, grow the Safi.  If you're most interested in heat, grow the Savina,  If you grow the Savina and it comes out only as hot as a regular habanero, someone sold you Caribbean Red seeds under the wrong label.  ;)

Tested only the "Safi".  It is sweet and nicely fruity, but i missed the "habanero taste". That taste was too mild in my opinion.

I can recommend "West Indies Red". The best red Habanero i tasted to far (i tried 10 different varieties). Sweet, fruity and a lot of good Habanero Flavor.  

Back