• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Saga Jolokia - The Neverending Story

Omri said:
I guess they don't like it that hot. :P

Maybe they just don't care for the ripe taste. Might sound strange, but in certain recipes I think that green tastes better. Ripe chiles don't give certain foods that grassy taste that they need.

gardenkiller said:
Maybe they just don't care for the ripe taste. Might sound strange, but in certain recipes I think that green tastes better. Ripe chiles don't give certain foods that grassy taste that they need.
I use green Jalapeños for my salad. it just wouldn't work with ripe ones.

Not milder, but somewhat sweeter. It just won't work in my salad.
It's basically: Tomatoes, Jalapeños, Onion, Garlic, Olive Oil and a bit of Lemon Juice. :)
Green Jalapeños and Garlic are some of the main flavors, so red ones wouldn't work.

Omri

Thanks a lot for all that information. It will be very useful in aiding us to identify, and perhaps be more aware of all the jolokias that exist around here. Here in Portugal we call almost every hot pepper piri-piri or malagueta. So if you are going to buy a hot pepper at the market it is called for instance - malagueta from Zambia, or Malagueta from Tailândia, and it isn't really a true malagueta. If in India they call the hot peppers generally "jolokia", one must be aware of the fact that when you buy a jolokia at an indian market, it can be almost any variety of indian hot pepper. Isn't that so?

Margarida

i think basing findings on one maybe suspect company selling the same seeds using many variety names is very suspect indeed and should be ignored till other sources are found..might as well call my next jolokia..T.H.P JOLOKIA..ITS HOT..IT BITES..ITS THE HOTTEST & BEST TASTING :lol::hot::flamethrower::fire:

talas said:
i think basing findings on one maybe suspect company selling the same seeds using many variety names is very suspect indeed and should be ignored till other sources are found..might as well call my next jolokia..T.H.P JOLOKIA..ITS HOT..IT BITES..ITS THE HOTTEST & BEST TASTING :lol::hot::flamethrower::fire:
Frontal Agritech is not reliable enough for you? they do have an interest of false advertising, but the facts are, those are local chiles. The Chocolate Bhut, cross or not is out there, and it's cool looking.

so i guess when we're being specific we'd be more correct to call whatever chile you're referring by it's other probably descriptive name? Likee naga as in poison or bhut as in ghost? makes sense i guess.

Read an article today on Bhut Jolokias.The country they are grown the locals actually call the pepper Raga.As anyone herd this before?

PcolaHot said:
Read an article today on Bhut Jolokias.The country they are grown the locals actually call the pepper Raga.As anyone herd this before?

Yep theres so may names..you could right a book and doesn't help when some sellers use differnt names to add to the confusion :)

Back