• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Sal's ordinary garden variety tomato hot sauce

My tomato plant pretty well took over the garden this year and all the green ones I've been picking over the last month decided to ripen at the same time so I looked up tomato hot sauces.  This one's loosely based on one at eatingwell.com and has a fairly generic, very tomatoey flavour I'm hoping will go with anything but will definitely go with pizza or pasta.

ink on label ran a bit when placed on boiling hot bottle

coffee dripper as funnel

1/2 large red onion (1 1/4 cup) chopped
7 cloves garlic pressed or minced
2 T chili infused olive oil
1 jalapeno, chopped
5 thai birdseye, chopped (mine were mostly green) 
6 red habs, stemmed and halved
1 orange hab, stemmed and halved (only had one halfway ripe or I'd have used all homegrown - this      sauce doesn't have a very habanero taste to it anyway)
1/4 t bhut jolokia powder (thanks hippie seed company)
3 dried butch t's (see above thanks)
2 t salt
3 t sugar
1 pound ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/4 pound green tomatoes (might add some tartness, leave it out if you don't have green)
1 cup white vinegar

Heat oil over med high heat.  Chuck in onions, garlic,chilies, powder and cook til onions are soft, maybe 7 mjnutes.  Add tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and salt, return to boil, reduce heat and cook another 45 minutes or until desired consistency.  Stick blend til smooth and store - I had some swingtop sauce bottles handy so I boiled 'em and filled with reheated sauce using a coffee pourover thingie.  Mine's going in the fridge anyway but if you're storing it be sure to go by the food safety thread and check the ph.  

This would be nice at any heat level, good way to use up tomatoes/chilies before they go bad.

Back