• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Salsa lizano?????

Anyone ever had anything like this? I'm thinking of making this in a super hot version. I'm thinking some douglahs or 7 pot burgandys (I have both) would work great in this sauce. Thoughts?

Also the two week thing in the fridge bothers me. I'm gonna see if I can get this stuff shelf stable. Would this stuff can properly if processed or do we think the ph would be to high?

BASE RECIPE - I WILL ADJUST ...
Lizano-Style Costa Rican Salsa
makes about 2 cups
1-2 dried chiles, such as guajillo
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 small yellow onion
1 4-inch piece thick carrot, chopped
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon unflavored vinegar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons fine salt
2 teaspoons molasses
2 teaspoons all-natural powdered vegetable broth base, optional

Remove the stems of the chiles and then slice the chiles in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and fibrous connective material attaching the seeds to the chiles. Pre-heat a 6-8-inch cast iron or stainless steel skillet over medium heat. Lay the chile pieces in the pan and toast, turning after about 2 minutes. Add the water and lower the heat to bring the water to a simmer. Simmer for about five minutes. Remove the chile pieces from the pan and place in blender. Measure out 1 cup of the chile-infused water and add this to the blender with the chiles.

Add the onion, carrot, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, molasses, bouillon if using. Blend until smooth. Taste for seasoning.

Sauce will keep in refrigerator for up to two weeks.

NOT MY SAUCE - HAVEN'T MADE IT YET - BUT HERE IS WHAT ITS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE

2012-8-30-lizano-sauce-final-lead-1.jpg

Love that stuff!!!
You find it on every table in Costa Rica.
It's almost like a sweeter, thicker, less vinegar/peppery A1 (if that makes sense)
It's good on everything when your as drunk as I was the whole time I was in CR.

Let us know how a hot version tastes!!

rxatty, as far as the recipe goes, the only thing cooked is the chiles, the rest are raw ingredients (according to your recipe).  So the "2 weeks in fridge" is probably good advice.  You'd have to try cooking everything and processing as described in Making Hot Sauce 101 and that may change the flavor.  Good thing is, it's only 2 cups so if it totally bombs, not a big deal...:)

Also, that looks like a LOT of cumin for that amount of sauce.  I've never tried the original, maybe others can chime in if that sounds right.   

Give it a try and post pics and results.  Sounds like an interesting and popular sauce.

Back