• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

condiment Salsa verde (tomatillo sauce)

First time making this stuff. Love it when we are in cozumel and got this recipe from our Mexican friend. Pretty simple to make, and good on about anything!

10 tomatillos roasted
1 garlic piece roasted
1 slice onion roasted
1 handful cilantro
Salt
As many or few peppers as you like.
Put everything in vitamix and blend away.

I have also seen the addition of an avocado, which makes it even yummier, but you can't store it that long.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looks good, wish my purple tomatillos would get ready so I can make some!

LOL... how would that be verde? 

Salsa Púrpura

The Hot Pepper said:
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 garlic piece? 1 clove? Seems little for the rest, the roasted garlic usually sets this off.
Ya a piece of the whole clove...dats enuf :). Big jar is plain for the wife. Small jar is en fuego for me! First time making it...yum... I have also been slicing peppers and putting the rings in with my dill pickles = hell ya!
LUCKYDOG said:
is that one slice of onion or one onion sliced?

I sliced a 1/4 all the way through the onion. Kept it together and threw it on the grill as well. It's just enough. I think u want the tomatillo sweet sour to shine through. Tastes just like what we get in cozumel...just hotter ;). I smuggle peppers and seeds down to my friends because they just get the kinda hot Habs down there. I'm taking over the island me pepper at a time lmao
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looks good, wish my purple tomatillos would get ready so I can make some!
Never grown any...they grow like a tomatoe? Can't wait to see that color...

A piece of a clove? And it's roasted? That is totally lost in there. But hey I'm sure it's good.

I'm actually not a huge garlic fan but in this sauce it sets it off for me, it gives a warmth and depth needed. I don't know I'd just add more and try it. ;)

Back