• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

salsalady's first grow log

This whole forum has inspired me to attempt to grow a few peppers. After receiving some seeds from another forum member, I decided to give it a go myself. The original plan was to have a local farmer grow them for me, but I'd feel real bad if they did a ton of work all season and they only produced a few pounds of peppers.

SO~ Here we go!

The seeds I received are-
Red Savina habanero
bhut jolokia
trinidad scorpion
7 pot- homegrown
7 pot- other

I printed out the growing instructions from Peppermania to have something to work with, bought a couple 72-cell starting trays, some germination mix, recruited SalsaNut0.5 to help, and set to work.

We set the seeds to soak in warm bleach water, filled the trays with dry germination mix and poured water over top of the mix and into the bottom tray. Rookie mistake! An hour later and the water was still pooled up on top of the mix, hadn't soaked up at all. So we dumped the mix out into a tray, added more water and mixed it up by hand. Back into the cells and after rinsing the seeds, we were finally ready to plant!

While we had the seeds soaking in little cups, 'Nut0.5 bumped one that was pretty full of water and splashed some of the 7 Pot seeds into the Trinidad Scorpion cup. OH WELL!

We ended up filling both 72 cell trays and putting 28 more seeds in a couple other plastic things I had laying around. OMG! 172 seeds! What Have I Gotten Myself Into?!?!? And the really scary thing is......I have some Aji Amarillo, orange Peter Peppers, Fatali and Peruvian white hab seeds on the way! YIKES!

Here's the temporary set up. It's under a SS table out in the salsa kitchen (hope the inspector doesn't pop in for a week or two until I can get the rest of the set up done). There's a space heater to keep thing warm, a blanket to hold the heat in, a thermometer in the tray, and we used colored toothpicks for ID-ing the different varieties.
growstuff.jpg

growstuff003.jpg

all tucked in for the night-
growstuff004.jpg

I checked this morning and the temp in the tray is a nice cozy 80F.

And, in trying to find buckets to grow the plants in, I found these-
growstuff005.jpg

These are 4.5 gallon oil jugs from a restaurant, the kind that fryer oil or salad oil comes in. I picked up about 50 of them at the first place I went. We took the cardboard boxes off them already. I figure we can cut away the tops, but keep the handle, poke some holes in the bottom....what do you think? SCORE or BUST?

YOU BET, AJ!

The whole first planting were seeds from you.

94 out of 108 seeds for the non-bhuts, I think that's pretty good. ???

The one tray with most of the bhuts seemed to not be getting the direct heat when they were in the under-the-table germination box. It seemed to be a little colder, around 77F. Of the 45 bhuts in that tray, only 4 have sprouted. We had 18 seeds in another little tray which seemed to be hotter during germination as it was right in front of the heater (more closer to 82F) and that tray has 7 out of 18 sprouts.

I'm hoping more bhuts come up. The table is holding steady at 78F.

Also, I'm pretty sure I planted some scraps that weren't seeds, but I wasn't taking any chances. If it looked remotely like a seed, it went into dirt. So I'm not expecting 100% germination anyway.

cool SL...glad I could help...from what I have experienced, the bhuts need a little more care...more constant temperature around 85F....need to soak the S*** out of them the first week...I let my seed starting trays get soaked after planting...very wet, but don't water again until 6-7 days...then I hit them hard with another watering and thats what starts it for me...second watering with good temp and they're off to the races

Thanks Silver,
I'm hoping like all the other growers around here for a bumper crop. Since there are no fresh pods available in my area, haven't seen any at farmers markets or anywhere, I figured this was the best way to get some fresh and not have to deal with shipping. This forum played a key roll in deciding to try it myself.

I think I'll ask the hubby and the kid for an early Mother's Day gift. No, not slippers of flowers........maybe ....a good book! Maybe a good book on growing peppers!!! :halo: Yea! That's it! Course, It would have to be written by a chile expert.....hmmmmm, wonder who that could be?:think:

Thanks AJ,

They've been pretty wet until today, the tops were dry so I soaked them again. Thinking about raising the temp of the whole room to 80F or 82F if it won't hurt the rest of the babies.

time for a quick update again~

these 2 trays are from 2 different starts. The back tray are seeds from AJ-
trini scorp
2 7-pots

and the front tray are some douglahs, peter peppers, Peruvian white habs and fatalii.

growstuff069.jpg

The back tray is red savina and bhut jolokias from AJ-
and the front tubs are an assortment of bhut, 7-pot and peter peppers.

growstuff070.jpg

We are now up to 38/63 bhuts sprouted. Increasing the heat to 82F did the trick, and I think more will still come up.

Of the second plantings, most are sprouted except for fatalii. We have 0 fatalii sprouts!

Overall, the count is 169 starts out of 251 seeds. And it ain't done yet ;).

I peaked under the tray where the red savinas are (they were the first to sprout) and there are 2 roots down into the tray. I hope that's a good thing....:?:

wow. I am so very impressed. I love power tools but I have not oodles of experience and expertise. You are my new role model, SL!!!!

Growing your own peppers, though, thats a great marketing point!

Thanks, Celeste. I had to learn to use power tools in a hurry when I got recruited to be an electrician. We couldn't find any descent help so hubby looked at me and said, "well, honey, it looks like it's just you and me, babe". And that's how I became an electrician! :lol:

We use the SawzAll for pruning in the yard also. I love it! Sure beats a pruning saw for large limbs or a hack saw for cutting conduit!

And today, when we checked the peppers....6 FATALII ARE SHOWING!!!! :woohoo:

We got the last of the seeds planted today, another 75 of Aji Amarillo, Red Habanero, and a mystery packet from Beth at Peppermania. Total seed count is 326, but like I said before, I think I planted several pieces of debris just to make sure I didn't miss a seed. :)

WOW! i hope you have a huge garden. I planted too many seeds this year and as they are growing I am quickly running out of room. I cant imagine having 60+ Bhut's, I thought 6 was bad enough. LOL Looking good though, keep the pics coming. How late does your grow season run til in Eastern WA?

Hey Matt,

I'll have to have them all in containers as we really don't have a proper garden area.

We have a pretty long season, but since I'm not really a farmer/gardner/grower, I've never paid any attention. I think they start worrying about frost late September into October, the farmers market goes full on until the 3rd week of October. This year the spring is about 6 weeks ahead of schedule.

I have an idea for the end of the season to bring them up next to the deck and throw a tarp over them to protect them from frost. We'll see how many make it to maturity before I worry too much about that.;)

I can't seem to start anything small, I always go for more than what I can handle.

and Thanks boutros~

Time for an update!

Here's how the little darlings are looking right now-
growstuff084.jpg

growstuff082.jpg

And a long view of the tables. I added another small table and another set of lights. I still have about 1 1/2 flats in the germination trays and the rest are in cups.
growstuff081.jpg

And the apparatus with the lights down low-
growstuff083.jpg

There's about 250 sprouts right now and I'm thinking that's probably going to be about it. If the rest haven't sprouted yet, I'm not expecting much more.

The Peter Peppers (on the right in image 2) seem to have large leaves and a lanky stem. I transplanted them pretty deep, up to the cotyledons, but they still seem a little weak for the leaf sizes. They've all been getting their work out with "The Oscillator" every day. So We'll just keep an eye on them and try to tuffen them up.

The paper cups are leftover ones we had in the garage. I did buy some plastic ones, but haven't used too many of them. The plastic thingys in each cup are the name tags. I took some old salsa tub lids (clear plastic lids from 16 oz deli tubs, the same size as sour cream or cottage cheese containers) cut them into wedges and wrote the names on them. Trying not to spend money on tags and containers, I'm saving my money for the dirt! (Not many places you can say THAT and know it will be appreciated! LOL!)

Looking good SL. I can just see it now: your backyard filled with chili plants in pots, a sort of mini jungle if you will. :D

TY, WGB- everything in the set up was stuff we already had around, except the white PVC 90's. We bought the 3 fluorescents a couple years ago to replace the ones in our kitchen but never got around to it. The other one came off a job. Did have to order the 6500K bulbs, but so far, it's doing good on spending money.

'Gator- it's a good thing we have a REALLY BIG yard..............like 2 acres! :lol: Still, I'm already worrying about how to tie them up and shade and wind and....and....and.........

One step at a time! My mission in the next couple days is to get some good nutes and some bug stuff to have on hand. Home Deopt and Wal-mart are 40 miles away over a 4000' pass. Can't just run to the store if critters show up.

looking hot SL! you are doing so well!! i dont think you need to worry too much... you seem to have everything under control, and the guys here can always help you out with any worries ;)

great looking plants SL...

next time you go to the store (read Walmart or Homus Depot), get a little of whatever you think you might need in this coming grow season...like some pyrethrum, and if you use any chemicals (like I do when I have to), get some stronger stuff to have it on hand when they (read aphids) eventually show up...you wil ha ve to keep an eye out for slugs, snails, and cutworms....a bag of diatomaceous earth sprinkled around on top of the soil will cut soft bodied insects up and had been said to cut the legs off of ants......

problem is, IMO, once aphids are on the plants, they don't do anything but eat, have babies, then once they have wings, they infect other plants....

not really awake yet this morning so I hope you understand what I am talking about

Back