• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

flavor Salt % - I've been doing it wrong for years!

Flamecycle

Extreme Member

from thoroughburro:​

There is also a somewhat unintuitive open secret hidden in their ingredients list and nutrition facts panel: by weight, there’s more salt in the recipe than there is vinegar. To a home cook, that sounds wild — it should be unpalatably salty. However, 75 mg of sodium (about 187.5 mg of salt) in 1 tsp (5 mL, about 5 g) of sauce indicates their salinity is about 3.8%. (Most hot sauces are 2-4%, so it’s salty but not outlandish.) How can there be less vinegar than that?
Source - Notes on Huy Fong Sriracha, or Forgive Me David Tran

🤯Reading the salt related part of this post from thoroughburro, at first I missed his parentheses and thought he sucked at math since .075/5 is ~ 1.5% - then I reread and realized I'm the idiot and he's dead right. Sodium % is NOT the same thing as salt %, since salt contains both sodium AND chloride. You have to convert backwards from a given sodium amount to arrive at the actual salt amount.

So this has some crazy implications I am realizing now - for eg Franks Red Hot sauce which I've always *thought* was ~3.8% salt - contains 190mg sodium per 5ml... 190mg works out to 475mg salt. 0.475g salt/5g hot sauce means that Franks is ...9.5% salt!!! Thats almost 1/10th of the entire recipe by weight is just salt. I would never have dared make a recipe with anything that high. Its like 3x saltier than ocean water!

So still in semi-disbelief that these Louisiana style sauces could require that much salt to reproduce - I tried a quick experiment and whipped up 2 extremely minimalistic "sauces" in a salinity range near Franks (~8% salt here) for a feasibility taste test:

Sauce A: 1g salt, 9 g water, 2g chile powder.
- Tastes too salty to me. No thanks, but not as bad as I expected.

Sauce B: 1g salt, 9 g vinegar, 2g chile powder
- Tastes... pretty good actually. WOW

So, I guess I'm a believer now, many hot sauces really are in the 5-10% salt by weight category and this is probably a top reason my homemade sauces often don't seem quite as flavorful/concentrated as the sauces I've taken my inspiration from - I'm just using way too little salt to recreate them accurately because I've been calculating it wrong from sauce labels for ages. I think vinegar seems to hide or overpower salt somehow which is how some recipes are operating with so much salt without being offensively bad tasting. Really surprising stuff for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
just a different tack on ingredient addition to a new sauce.

weight the bulk container amount of each ingredient you intend to use and build your new sauce to taste

once you have something you are happy with re-weigh and subtract from starting weights.

you have now created to taste with repeatability. 😉

Last edited:
build your new sauce to taste

Thanks Ashen. I think thats my problem. I've always had a mental block stopping me from adding/taste-testing additions that would put me anywhere in the 3+ % range. In my mind that was way at the top of the range of saltiness levels used in familiar sauces - so even if I thought a sauce could use more salt I'd usually back off anyway out of fear of over-salting (especially because I'm a salt addict and I assume most people who try my sauces will prefer less than I do).

Little did I realize 3% salt is child's play compared to some very popular sauces.

Maybe I should just trust my tongue more.

As a side note - it turns out its a well known scientific fact that acid hides saltiness from our taste receptors https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2229563/

Great post @MentalinosLastMeal! And I love @thoroughburro's experiments.

Glad you made this discovery. Salt is one of those things when underused can make a "blah" anything. Some people never realize what they need is salt. They have a masterpiece waiting and try adding all kinds of this and that. Once you discover it's the salt you can create even simpler recipes. Like LA-style hot sauce! I'm the one buying low sodium soups and yeah I have to add it back so what's the point? 🤣 Good luck!

Back