• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Salt Percentage

Alright...so I've seen people say use 12% of the weight of the peppers as salt in your mash. However, I've also seen lots of other numbers, such as 3% of the total weight, 1/2 cup of salt per gallon, and just about everything else. The question I have (before I spent 3 months waiting to figure this out) is wouldn't 12% be way too salty unless I use an insane amount of vinegar to dilute it?

I've tried doing the math on some finished sauces that contain anywhere around 30mg per tsp to 100mg per teaspoon of salt, and it just seems like to get that number I'd have to use a lot of vinegar. I don't want my sauce to be primarily vinegar...because well that defeats the purpose of having a "pepper" sauce.

So let's hear it. What amount of salt do you use in your mash and why? What method of fermentation do you use and what is your setup like?

Hi Dustin, :welcome: to THP.

Your question encompases several different topics and hopefully others with knowledge of their areas will chime in.

When looking at recipes or posts, you need to separate the different terms.

"MASH" is a term which often used interchangeably with a couple different situations.

It refers to a fermented mixture of chiles and salt, but that's technically not correct. Any kind of ground up chile mixture (containing salt or not, fermented or not) could be called a mash.

Tabasco ferments their "mash" (aka ground tabasco chiles....and I don't remember if they add salt at the mash stage or not...hopefully others will fill in the details....) and salt-capped for 3 years.

Getting back to your original post...there's a difference between the salt content of a finished hot sauce type product and the % of salt used in a fermentation process. Hopefully this will clear up a little of the the different terminologies and help you figure out what's what.

Basically, if you are looking to take fresh pods, grind 'em and immerse them in a salt solution.... some people do that process with NO additional salt, some add salt in every ratio up to 20%...many refer to the resulting mush as "mash". The salt helps in the first few days of fermentation to keep bad bacteria from breeding on the ground up chiles until the good bacteria can get a foothold in the chile/salt/water mixture. If you didn't have the salt in there for the first few days, the risk of botulism is high. BUT...having said that...natural fermentation occurs all the time and many use that method.

(correct me if I'm wrong, M8's) vinegar is not usually used in a fresh chile/salt fermentation situation. Once Vinegar is involved, then you're looking at a basic pickle or processed sauce. Not fermentation.

Hope this didn't confuse you even more. Check out the Fermenting Peppers sticky in the Making Hot Sauce thread for a wealth of information about fermentation.

Many folks take ground chiles (a "mash") and ferment them in a few different ways, some with salt, some with vinegar,...the thread "fermenting 101" is a great thread with TONS of information for those looking to do a fermented chile product. THe talk on that thread is to leave it in the fermentation set up for a minimum of 6-weeks and from there, it's as long as you want to leave it...

There are commercial "mashes" available. Those mashes are basically ground chiles with salt, no fermentation involved. Depending on the supplier, some chile "mashes" can be as high as 20% salt. So if the person is purchasing "habanero mash" it could be 80% habanero chiles and 20% salt. Some suppliers have 0% salt mashes. They are selling ground chiles of whatever the variety. No salt, No vinegar, No fermentation...just mushed up chile pulp.

Edit- sorry, this is a little out of sequence...but the info is the same~~~

you dont ferment with vinegar or salt...the fermentation process is what brings the ph to proper level so that you can insure procuct shelf life as well as inhibit bad bacteria growth. using the salt and vinegar is NOT needed in your mash...these are just added at finishing process for flavor preference. you will just have to ferment your mash, then start playing around with additives such as vinegar, salt, etc. to your taste. there are some good threads on here.....do a search for 'fermenting peppers 101' and you should be good to go. good luck!

This thread was more to see what you guys individually use as your salt % and why you use the amount that you do. I just wanted to see some varying opinions and have people give their reasons for doing so.

My plan is to first ferment my peppers over a three month period, then add vinegar and let age another few weeks. I just was hoping to not come out with a result that was totally inedible due to the salt content.

Back