• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sambal Oelek

I just love sambal's and hot sauces. The sambal's you can buy in local stores here are rather mild, but just taste very good. I want to make some of my savina's :onfire: and my big question is what do i need to add (vinegar or something) to keep them at least a few months in the fridge. You know preserve it a bit.

Appreciate your help :)

I think sambal olek is just chopped chiles vinegar and salt. I just finished a container a few days ago so I don't have a bottle to check though. I love the stuff on rice.

Post the recipe and pics!

I make this with birds eye chillis. Just put them in a blender to mash them up. The only thing i add is salt(with a splash of water only if it looks too dry). I boil the jars before and after filling them and they last at least a year in the fridge if you don't open them. Normally they last at least a couple of months after opening.

lee said:
I just love sambal's and hot sauces. The sambal's you can buy in local stores here are rather mild, but just taste very good. I want to make some of my savina's :onfire: and my big question is what do i need to add (vinegar or something) to keep them at least a few months in the fridge. You know preserve it a bit.

Appreciate your help :)
Hi lee I have a lot of recipes for sambal, my ex wife was balinese, I'll post a couple in a day or so :mouthonfire:

SeeYouJimmy said:
I make this with birds eye chillis. Just put them in a blender to mash them up. The only thing i add is salt(with a splash of water only if it looks too dry). I boil the jars before and after filling them and they last at least a year in the fridge if you don't open them. Normally they last at least a couple of months after opening.

Is salt enough to keep em that long? Want to make sure i don't end up with filled jars of fungus :(.

JungleRain said:
Hi lee I have a lot of recipes for sambal, my ex wife was balinese, I'll post a couple in a day or so :mouthonfire:

Thx man

Hi lee I don't use any vinegar in my sambal, I use salt but just for flavour I find they keep no problem, even in Indonesia the keep for months not even refrigerated!!!!!! Recipes coming I'm just being slack.;)

Back