• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Same variety, look nothing alike

Front and center pod looks super cool!  Cool plant overall and worth hanging onto.

Yeah, OW the plant and you'll get the same thing next year - subject to some potential influences of its growing environment. .  Even if you isolate seed, your F2's aren't going to be the same as this F1, though some may be very similar.  Some will likely be quite different.  If it were me, I'd save and grow a few of those seeds anyway and see what comes of them.  There's a great chance a solid percentage of them - if not most or even all of them - are "true" seeds despite that you didn't isolate.

CaneDog said:
Front and center pod looks super cool!  Cool plant overall and worth hanging onto.

Yeah, OW the plant and you'll get the same thing next year - subject to some potential influences of its growing environment. .  Even if you isolate seed, your F2's aren't going to be the same as this F1, though some may be very similar.  Some will likely be quite different.  If it were me, I'd save and grow a few of those seeds anyway and see what comes of them.  There's a great chance a solid percentage of them - if not most or even all of them - are "true" seeds despite that you didn't isolate.
I knew if I saved even isolated seeds, they would be different than what I got this year. But with all my plants within a few feet of each other, I shouldn't end up with terribly mixed up peppers? Maybe I'll try to OW the plant and save some seeds and just see what happens next year. I need to get some family members to be the guinea pigs and eat one to compare heat levels with the other plants. 

If the plant is producing pollen well, then even if a bee visits and brings some alien pollen the majority of the pollen it gets should be it's own, so the majority of the seeds in the pod should be true.  If it's not producing pollen well, then it might get massively crossed by anything and everything a bee/etc. brings by.  Pepper plants are generally very strong/frequent self-pollinators, so while anything can happen, the odds are often in your favor for true seeds if you're planting only a few seeds from each pod (versus planting all the seeds in the pod and hoping for 100% true).

Disclaimer:  things can go horribly wrong of course!

Hey, good luck with the guinea pig trials and I'd love to hear about the flavor and heat and such.

This must be what these peppers are going to ripen into. I will be doing my best to save some seeds and overwinter the plant, if I can find a spot to keep it in my house. Now I need my family to taste them and compare to all the others they've eaten.

0bcLktC.jpg

Back