• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SANARDA'S GLOG UPDATE 9/8/2013

Here is the list so far:

7 pot Jonah (Mgold/Matt pod)
7 pot mystery (Mgold/Matt pod)
7 pot Red (Jamie/Romy pod)
7 pot yellow (Mgold/Matt pod)
Aji Lemon (Romy pod)
Assam (Mgold/Matt pod)
Barrackpore (Pepperlover)
Bhut Giant Red (Matt/Mgold pod)
Bhut Peach (Matt/Mgold pod)
Bhut Chocolate (Matt/Mgold pod)
Bhut Hybrid (Jamie/Romy pod)
Brain Strain Yellow (DVFSTR/Dave pod)
ButchT (Dvfstr/Dave pod) and Mgold's (Pod)
CARDI Scorp Yellow (Jamie/Romy pod)
Choc Hab (PaulG pod) (Romy) (Matt/Mgold)
Datil (Jamie/Romy pod)
Dorset Naga (Jamie/Romy)
Douglah Red (Dfstr/Dave pod)
Douglah Hybrid (Jamie/Romy Pod)
Fatalli x Red Savina (Matt/Mgold pod)
Goats Weed (PaulG pod)
Habanero BLK (Matt/Mgold pod)
Moruga Red (Matt/Mgold pod)
Naga Morich (Matt/Mgold pod)(DVFSTR/Dave pod) (Paul G I think)
Suave Red (NMSU) two seeds
Trinidad Scorp Yellow (Matt/Mgold pod)
Trinidad Perfume (Matt/Mgold pod)
Uba Tuba (NMSU) I only have two seeds
Zavory (Burpee) Two seeds

Seeds yet to purchase:

7 pot infinity
7 pot Primo
7 pot Brown
Barbados
Black Cayman
Black Naga
Black Stinger
Cleo's Dragon
Fish
Malaysian Goronong
Moruga Scorp Yellow
Naga Viper
Red Savina
Safi Red
West Indian Red

Wish list:
Billy Boy Douglah
Sepia Serpent

The heat lamp is feet away on a top shelf to want the closet. The fan is directed more towards the top of the ballast under the heat. Lamp to circulate the heat. The fan was probably blowing pretty cool air. The temp is probably around 78 now. Was probably around 70 before. I will monitor it closely.

Thanks Shane. The seeds are good as I had only sowed like three cuz I had a feeling. Aahahaaa. I think with higher temps, fan not circulating directly and water, I can salvage some. Mills has given me hope. We will see

Most will wake it...they're tough. Serious about the bottom watering. It's the only way to make sure the soil is thoroughly hydrated and all the roots get a drink...I came over here today figuring I'd get a pleasant update about how your new soil was working for you...now I'm really bummed. If it helps, there were very many times last year with all my issues I almost yanked them all. Nice folks on here talked me out of it, glad they did!

You'll notice em perk up after you water em I hope :pray: Some of em looked pretty dehydrated. Did you pull one out to check the bottom of the container to see if there is still moisture in the soil?

Yup there was no moisture in the bottom of any of my pots. I mean bone dry. In the middle there was slight moisture.

Shane I already drenched them this time, but for future reference do I sit them in water until the pots feel heavier or do I let them sit till there is no more water? How high should I fill the flat up to on the side of the pots? Just to cover the holes or a little higher?

Ohh also I noticed white mold or mildew in some in the soil and a mold mildew smell

Pia...that white stuff could be good or bad. Good compost has some white mildew that is actually beneficial so I wouldn't sweat it yet. Bottom watering I put about a half inch in the bottom of the pan then let them drink. If it all gets absorbed I repeat until they no longer soak up the water. You can also sit them in more water than they need for about 15 minutes and in that time the soil should be fully hydrated.

Pia, here’s wishing that the pepper Jah blesses your crop … well seriously all your hard work you do and with guidance from THP members should do the trick. Sometimes no matter what we do, we end up losing a few. That said, don’t give up on any no matter what and you should be able to save the strongest … BTW I’ve lost a few myself and will be sowing more come spring/summer. Good Great luck to ya girl :)
… do I sit them in water until the pots feel heavier or do I let them sit till there is no more water?
I wouldn’t let them sit around in water too long, that can cause mold/mildew issues that would be harmful to the seedlings …

… How high should I fill the flat up to on the side of the pots? Just to cover the holes or a little higher?
I would just cover the holes and remove the water from the tray after some is soaked up by the pots. That said, listen to others as I don’t bottom water but did tried it twice after reading about it here on THP.

Ohh also I noticed white mold or mildew in some in the soil and a mold mildew smell
I hate to say it, but if that’s the case I’d transplant them, wash the roots and either throw the soil away or bake it in the sun till it kills all dat bad in there.

Pia,
The amount of water you place in the tray depends on how large the potss are. For a tray of 3" containers I generally use a half gallon of water which brings the height to about 1/2" . Larger containers such as the 5" to 1.5 gal need more water. I eye ball the height in the tray. I fill up the tray halfway which is about 1 inch high. Just remember it the plants soak up the water faster than a paper towel then they Really needed a drink. But if after 20 minutes theres still standing water then I pour it back into the watering cans...

White mold? What you takin bought girl.........haha
If your using a "soil" mix such as "Happy Frog" then you can get a musty smell when wet whereas if you are using a "soiless" mix such as "Roots Organic" then you will get the wet peaty scent when moist. Can the white substance be salt? If it is surface mold any perlite will appear greenish and you need to scratch the surface to let the air in and out.

By August...Pia will be picking a peck of pickled peppers !

Pia, can you post a picture of the "white mold"? Like Shane said, it could be good or bad. If we can see what it looks like, you'll get better, more consistent advice.

Hey Sawyer. I will try to post a pic when I get home from work. The mold was hard to see at first and it was white. The smell was like mold. That's the only way I know how to describe it. It wasn't strong but it was there. It smelled like moldy dirt. I am using Happy frog ocean forest. My pots are small seedling pots. I think 4 inch.

Thanks for all the help. I have seeds sowing just in case I screwed up beyond repair.

Hey Pia. Don't despair! Things will come right. Is it too humid - a fan may help. I get mold in my propagator as I don't have a fan in ther and I get fluffy mold. Its pretty harmless and exposure to air and sunlight usually helps. I have also used vinegar solution or camomile solution to get rid of mold and general fungii issues :)

Enough with those despair posts, Pia will get it right folks ... now Pia where are all dem smexy Bahamas footage, pics, goat peppers and smexy conch foodie shots :D

First some pics of Gold Beach. It's magnificent. Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed there

B448FD05-C148-494E-8357-F80A655F360D-970-00000112572783D0_zps02a33785.jpg

D19FF09A-2B6B-45DD-B4A5-C22ECB5F8754-970-00000112425C0337_zpsf7af3c50.jpg

09FFF155-58BA-4DB4-AA03-434A3D149DA9-970-000001125DDC0B80_zps5b5ec579.jpg

Those are my two girls Desi and Mani

0F9C9BC9-F7BD-4E48-9954-548BC7EFDE05-970-000001125F758643_zps2ac89f2e.jpg

Lil old me

Prepping the conch salad

F68DB58F-B62E-48B7-8CD0-610BCF51F279-970-00000112721B221A_zps36e3e029.jpg

Lookin good now Pia! Those one with just one or two little leaves will take a bit to recover, but most of them will. Great save lady! Great vaca pics too! Gonna be 85 degrees here this weekend, so we don't need no stinking bahamas...but I would still love to go some day!

Shane

Thanks Shane! Everyone on my glog made that comeback happen. I was two seconds from tossing the whole kit and kaboodle. Yeah we went about three years ago. Unlike your lucky self ill be glad if we stay in the forties.

Back