• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sandwich of the Month

Hey y'all. A recent discussion with THP about Cuban sandwich's in another thread has inspired me to begin this thread.

What is a sandwich? According to wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich

I myself shall endeavor to post a Sandwich of the Month for every month. This month I tip my hat to one of my favorite sandwiches, The Cuban.

While I encourage y'all to post up your Cuban for SOTM, for the sake of popularizing the thread, feel free to post your sandwich. Be it BLT, turkey sub, gyro, po'boy, etc.

Some rules.

1 ~ Meet the criteria as linked above according to wiki.

2 ~ True, burgers are sandwiches but as we have other threads devoted to them, we will not include them here in this thread. No burgers.

3 ~ List ingredients and methods of how the sandwich was put together.

4 ~ No matter if it is a classic reuben or tuna salad, include a heat ingredient.

5 ~ Pics are mandatory. Talk is cheap. Show us the money!

6 ~ No tortillas. We have taco threads already, and that also means no stinkin' "wraps".

7 ~ Have fun.

I'll post up my sandwich shortly.

Bon appetit!

Nice tomato, so wanted to make a BLT. Only thing spicy here is cayenne powder on my baked bacon.
XkACVTn.jpg

Key here is the homemade basil pesto mayo
u2ocT9S.jpg

That's a good beer too
X4eVRgb.jpg

If you're like me you're thinking, "lil scotch on the bacon for a BLT." I know, I know. But halfway thru making it, I wanted to make this too

YpWzt4P.jpg

basil pesto mayo I see it now!!!! duh

bet that's great on blt

The Hot Pepper said:
Works for me bro! Deets on the herb mayo please.
Herb mayo is all eye ball. Grabbed a small handful of basil, 6 walnuts or so, heavy shaving of parm reggiano, salt pepper, couple glugs of olive oil, mashed in a mortar and pestle. Probably 2-3 TBSP of mayo stirred in.

The influence is what your boy Tyler did here. Make his sandwich as-is if you want something special

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/fresh-mozzarella-blt-with-pesto-recipe-1972990.html?soc=itksocialsharedefault%7Cios%7Cp
Fresh Mozzarella BLT with Pesto By Tyler Florence

BLT with HG tomato, Smoked Serrano mayo, Wisconsin white Cheddar, thick cut Bacon, and toasted Cottage Bread:

r0qG8Gf.jpg

Yellow HG Tomato grown by my father In-law.  I think it is Lemon Boy Tomato, but i am not 100%

xK2epKT.jpg

Nice PHat slices :D

qNRwwwi.jpg

Smoked Serrano mayo (just my smoked Serrano powder, and Mayo)

qKLSTP1.jpg

Ready to be assembled

iQ4eghc.jpg

Putting her together and giving a light grind of Alderwood smoked sea salt on the tomato

LAsTWLV.jpg

HJ9XzuM.jpg

Served !

it was so totally worth waiting all summer  for a HG tomato BLT  :dance:  :dance:

Shorerider said:
The mix of fresh and cooked fillers along with the outer toasting is something that really appeals to my taste. 

Whoa, never had BLT?

You are really missing out then. I don't think I've even been out and had a good one. In the states this is a sandwich most of us are raised on. With garden tomatoes, bacon fresh from the pan, and that perfect toasting of white bread. A good amount of mayo with a little s&p sprinkling... and crisp iceberg lettuce (my gram would pick dandelion greens for hers). An American classic, but usually only when made at home.

Don't overtoast your bread. The key is a light toast so you get a golden brown exterior but bready inside. And bacon needs to be warm from the pan, preferably CI. Not sure what bacon type you get in AUS but hopefully you can get our "streaky" bacon. Garden maters at room temp, mayo, S&P, and iceberg. You will be good to go. Try it!

I won't mind if you spice it up non-traditionally but try one traditional too. :)

Back