• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sandwich of the Month

Hey y'all. A recent discussion with THP about Cuban sandwich's in another thread has inspired me to begin this thread.

What is a sandwich? According to wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich

I myself shall endeavor to post a Sandwich of the Month for every month. This month I tip my hat to one of my favorite sandwiches, The Cuban.

While I encourage y'all to post up your Cuban for SOTM, for the sake of popularizing the thread, feel free to post your sandwich. Be it BLT, turkey sub, gyro, po'boy, etc.

Some rules.

1 ~ Meet the criteria as linked above according to wiki.

2 ~ True, burgers are sandwiches but as we have other threads devoted to them, we will not include them here in this thread. No burgers.

3 ~ List ingredients and methods of how the sandwich was put together.

4 ~ No matter if it is a classic reuben or tuna salad, include a heat ingredient.

5 ~ Pics are mandatory. Talk is cheap. Show us the money!

6 ~ No tortillas. We have taco threads already, and that also means no stinkin' "wraps".

7 ~ Have fun.

I'll post up my sandwich shortly.

Bon appetit!

I saw Parasols Roast Beef from New Orleans on Triple D but they just boiled the meat and relied on the gravy for all the flavor. I had to throw my twist on this so here we are.

I started out with 2 chunks of top round that were on sale. I boiled them first like Asians do to clean the impurities out then rinsed them and started browning in the DO seasoned with Tony's and garlic powder.
100-5330.jpg

After a little browning I added onions to burn down some and bone broth I made a while back with parsley, garlic powder and more Cajun seasoning
100-5331.jpg

100-5332.jpg

Added enough water to cover meat and simmered on medium high for 90 minutes adding water as needed.
100-5335.jpg

Here's the broth that made a good gravy starter, this kicks the plain water boil it the butt.
100-5336.jpg

I pulled the meat to cool before slicing, it wasn't tender but that's normal
100-5338.jpg

Then started on the gravy. I added 1 tsp of beef bouillon, more garlic powder and water. I simmered it while the meat cooled.
100-5339.jpg

Dumped the meat and added water to cover and let it simmer another hour
100-5340.jpg

This is some serious flavor and so tender
100-5341.jpg

Burnt up some onions and bells while waiting
100-5343.jpg

Once that was done I hollowed out the buns, spread Blueplate on the bottom and loaded it with meat topped with shredded Moz and Provolone. Toasted the buns on the gasser
100-5347.jpg

Dressed with mayo on the top too, lettuce and toms, the meat side got the onions and bells with pickled jalapenos
100-5349.jpg

Smashed it to meld those juices
100-5350.jpg

Sliced for looks
100-5351.jpg

First bite was heaven!
100-5352.jpg

The other half was just as good!
100-5353.jpg

This was worth the trouble, it came out awesome for a cheap cut of meat. 
100-5354.jpg

Round is very hard to work with. As you see it falls apart into cubes when you finally get it tender. So lean it needs lard added during braising or tons of sauce/gravy ect. Makes a great sloppy joe if you want to take the time like you did.

Back