• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sauce idea

I have a question for any interested members concerning a certain combination of fruit for a hot sauce. I want to combine some local cherries (both Rainer and chelan) with some apricots. For heat I will add some yellow 7 pods with some bahamian goats (courtesy of Cappy) :) . Does anybody think this would be a good combination of flavors? Would it be overly fruity? I don't particularly care about the heat level; although, I do prefer sauces hot.

Thanks

personally, i think the cherry flavour would get lost or disguised, i could be wrong. i make cherry wine and as long as i stick with just cherry my wine turns out fine. the minute i try to blend it with a grape variety to add more body, the cherry's gone. now that's wine and not sauce. i do make my own hot sauce but haven't used cherry(though i have 25lbs of frozen cherries in my freezer). i do stick with mango, pineapple and apple as core fruit flavour.

go ahead and give it a try. let us know how it turns out.

Hello tOmato,

Your sauce combination sounds good to start with. It will be pretty sweet unless you add some acid of some kind (vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice), and you could add some onion or carrots.

BTW, I noticed you are from Oregon. We're having a NW chilefest party in September if you can join us. Info here...check it out...
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23004-northwest-chilefest-2011/page__pid__475401#entry475401

SL

Back