• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Sauce recommendations

I'm an up and coming chili head and I'm looking to expand my sauce collection. Right now I use a lot of Tabasco and el yucatec habanero sauces as they have the right amount of heat and flavor for me. I'm not afraid to go hotter though (recently got a ghost pepper sauce that's pretty good). I see a lot about the defcon sauces, but it looks like they're supposed to go on wings? I don't know if it can be used as a general sauce. Any recommendations?

I am a big fan of Marie Sharp's habanero hot sauces.  Lucky Dog makes some great sauces (as long as you are a garlic fan), and the black label starts to get up there for heat level.  I am also of fan of Jamaica Joe Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce, but that is the scotch bonnet fan in me coming out. 

Marie Sharps Hot Habanero, Gold Label.        CAN     NOT    GET     ENOUGH!!!

I eat it by itself.

Good stuff commercial wise.

As for sauce from growers like ourselves...I hear A LOT about Lucky Dog.

First of all. Throw that El Yuckatec sauce away. Read this... http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Study-Finds-Dangerous-Levels-of-Lead-in-Hot-Sauces-From-Mexico-216629201.html

Are you looking for "Hot" sauces? or good tasting sauces that are hot? there is a difference, and that is the golden ring that all sauce makers are striving for. if you just want HOT sauce 'Dave's Insanity' or even 'The Source' will do the trick but they they taste like ass because they are extract sauces.

DEFCON is a wing sauce but it is probably the best you have ever had! DEFCON Defense level one is hot. I mean HOT. Cluckwork Orange is also hot. if you like franks or that Buffalo wing flavor, you cant go wrong with DEFCON. And he kicks Franks ass.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce is a must for any serious hot sauce eater. not volcanic hot but damm tasty. http://lucky-dog-hot-sauce.myshopify.com

Texas Creek makes one of the best BBQ sauces I have EVER had, (Chipotle BBQ) and it is hot. plus alot of other tasty sauces here... http://www.texascreekproducts.com/products.html

Here are more sauces for you to find and should go on your "must have" list...
Kneppers Peppers 'Tongue Wrapper'
RedHawk's 'Grounds for Divorce'
one of my favorite all around Mexican hot Sauces 'Tapatio'
there are more, but my brain just went numb.

And for "must have" pepper powders, Sicman's Jalapeño powder is like crack, it's the new MSG (Makes Shit Good).

Thanks deville. I actually have read that article before, but oddly I don't care... I mean, will I die if I have a minuscule amount of lead from time to time? Haha maybe I just don't care since I've already put tons of nasty shit in my body. Thanks for the recommendations though, il look into these!

Oh, and I enjoy both heat and flavor in a sauce

There are some great sauce makers on here. Some will bring it in a public friendly manner and others will make the heat lover stand up and go wow this is really warm and then there are the ones that make you say :eek: deeeees eeees HOOOTTTTTTT

The review section is your friend.

Pain is good batch #37 is a garlic habanero sauce. And I love EL Y Chipotle sauce even after reading that article I can't get rid of the stuff. I really want to try hellfire devils gold sauce.. The ingredients make it sound so tasty. The stuff isn't in stock right now but he said probably in a couple weeks.

I love all the sauces from volcanicpeppers.com they are REALLY good.....and i also love puckerbutt's Carolina Reaper Puree (which i use on everything!)

my best advice is just jump in and start buying a bunch of hot sauces, be it directly from the maker or from a big hot sauce seller website iwth different brands. pick what you like for flavors & just BUY!  you've heard alot of brand names here just start trying...they're all good in their own way.

sorry moved some of my post since not really helping OP question.

I can recommend Lucky Dog and PexPeppers from here. That is not a knock on the others. I just have not tried them yet! Need to get me some Texas Creek pronto!

I just ordered some of that lucky dog since so many on here seem to like it. Ordered the black label and the green. Will let you know how I like them.

Hey Boss, I beat you to it!  :lol: 

Matanzima hasn't been mentioned yet, check them out...

Again I'd like to suggest that folks looking for great sauces check out the contests for "safe bets". 
After The Hot Pepper Awards......

a couple other ones to look at are-
ZestFest's Golden Chile awards
Fiery Food's Scovie awards
Chile Pepper Magazine's THE Hot Pepper Awards
NY Hot Sauce Expo Screaming Mimi  (sic?) ???
These contests are affiliated with spicy food events/festivals/conventions, and there are MANY other smaller competitions for hot sauces.  And some more even larger competitions for BBQ sauces etc. 

And this is definitely not to say that only the competition winners are worthy for purchase.  That is NOT the case!!!  I'm just saying that someone looking for a "pretty safe bet" could purchase a product in the category they like and the customer would have a pretty good chance of liking the sauce. 

Red Hawk, Heartbreaking Dawns, DavezFoodz, Sauce Goddess, CrazyGood, Zane & Zacks, Flaming Joes, Gunthers, Lucky Dog, CinChilli, Puckerbutt, Wicked Cactus.........just a minuscule list but one's we've tasted and enjoyed! 

Got my luckydog sauce in today. The mild green label and the extra hot black label. Both are very sweet and to me have a very heavy black pepper flavor. The green label is Very mild. I wouldn't call it a hot sauce. The black label has a little heat but not that much. Comparing heat to tropical pepper co ghost sauce which is supposedly 500,0000 scoville I'd say it is 100-200k maybe. I think the el yucateco habanero is a hair hotter with the yuca having a more authentic pepper flavor.

Back