• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sauce Suggestions

I'm going to make a bottled sauce for the first time with some peppers I just ordered from Judy at pepperlover.com

I ordered 1lb of Fatali's and 1lb of Primo's

What do you suggest I make?

I was leaning towards a mango/pineapple base with the Fatali's and using cider vinegar to get to the correct PH.  I want to ferment but don't want to worry about the health risks etc.  I have boiling water, food processors, submersible mixer/blender, mixer, blender,  miniature crock pot, crock pot, smoker at my disposal.  I plan to only make 4 bottles total and will find other things to do with the remaining peppers.  

sounds like you have a plan.. i love the mango pineapple.. it makes a wicked wing sauce.. hot and sweet.. perfect for the tailgate party before the cowboys game or even the longhorns..:)

Agree with Howardsnm1 on the Fatalii's. They go great with a fruit based sauce. I love the sweet and heat!
Since you have the smoker I would smoke the Primo's with either cherry or apple wood and make a garlic based sauce.
That's just my opinion and you can do what ever fits your tastes.
There are several recipes on here as well as other places that should hook ya up!

Use Lime or Lemon juice and if you still need to add vinegar use Rice vinegar it has a more mellow flavor than ACV does and will allow the peppers to shine more.

Primo's
1 lg Onion
3 lg ClovesGarlic
2 Carrots

will give you a good basic sauce that will go with everything under the sun including the kitchen counter :)

+1 for RM's post about the ACV!  Cider vinegar has a strong taste that can easily overpower the fatalii chiles.  Definitely use a milder vinegar like rice vin.  Don't use white vinegar either.  Fruit, tad bit of onion and garlic, follow processing in Hot Sauce 101.  

Smoking the primos is a good idea.  They're pretty hot, so you may want to add more of other ingredients to add some bulk to the sauce unless you want it super-hot with mostly just chiles.  Carrots, red bell peppers, onion, garlic....You could also smoke the other ingredients!  

Have Fun and Post Pics!!! 
We Love pics!

SL

salsalady said:
+1 for RM's post about the ACV!  Cider vinegar has a strong taste that can easily overpower the fatalii chiles.  Definitely use a milder vinegar like rice vin.  Don't use white vinegar either.  Fruit, tad bit of onion and garlic, follow processing in Hot Sauce 101.  

Smoking the primos is a good idea.  They're pretty hot, so you may want to add more of other ingredients to add some bulk to the sauce unless you want it super-hot with mostly just chiles.  Carrots, red bell peppers, onion, garlic....You could also smoke the other ingredients!  

Have Fun and Post Pics!!! 
We Love pics!

SL
Thank you everybody for commenting!  I will head the advice and try lemon and lime juice.  Ahh peppers are so much fun.  I miss having them as a part of my daily life like in New Mexico.  Although not that hot it was great to be able to walk into any restaurant and get good old red or green.  

Back