• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Sauce vs Salsa

I made some salsa this morning fresh from garden peppers and tomatoes...store bought onion, cilantro mix, garlic powder, and sea salt....was wondering???? If I cook this down, can I make a hot sauce out of it?...and if I could, what would I have to do to make it?...never made any hot sauce to bottle before...

The peppers I used:
4 Orange Habs
4 Red Savina
6 Criolla Sella
1 Jalapeno (all I had)
10 Serrano
6 Aji Lemon
3 Orange Thai
2 Cayenne

Here is a picture of the ingredients I used...

072008b002.jpg

any advice would be greatly appreciatred...

Well... I know in the states you call that salsa. I just want to clarify some things. As far as I know, we have the following things in my country:

1. American Salsa or Gringo Salsa: Chunky, slightly cooked sauce with pieces of tomatoes, vegetables and herbs.

2. Pico de Gallo: Raw tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime and other stuff depending on who you ask.

3. Salsa Picante (Hot Sauce): Cooked, blended sauce using different ingredients.

4. Chirmol: Charbroiled tomatoes with skin, cilantro, lime, onions, garlic. Al of this muddled in a mortar to get a sauce with some consistency

5. Recado: Diced tomatoes, sweet pepper (or hot peppers), diced onions, garlic and a bit of broth to make a thick sauce.

andres said:
Well... I know in the states you call that salsa. I just want to clarify some things. As far as I know, we have the following things in my country:

1. American Salsa or Gringo Salsa: Chunky, slightly cooked sauce with pieces of tomatoes, vegetables and herbs.

2. Pico de Gallo: Raw tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime and other stuff depending on who you ask.

3. Salsa Picante (Hot Sauce): Cooked, blended sauce using different ingredients.

4. Chirmol: Charbroiled tomatoes with skin, cilantro, lime, onions, garlic. Al of this muddled in a mortar to get a sauce with some consistency

5. Recado: Diced tomatoes, sweet pepper (or hot peppers), diced onions, garlic and a bit of broth to make a thick sauce.

Mmmmmmm....number 4 sounds good. Well, they're all good, but i can't say for sure i've had Chirmol.

Chirmol: Charbroiled tomatoes with skin, cilantro, lime, onions, garlic. Al of this muddled in a mortar to get a sauce with some consistency

It does sound delicious Andres and you use tomatillos id really like to try that beats gringo salsa im sure :)

Hahaha... no offense to my gringo friends. I do not use gringo in a disparaging way.

But it is delicious. We use chirmol mainly to go with carne asada. So good it's making me hungry

IMO, Salsa is usually diced or chopped and uncooked except by the action of the acids (i.e. lemon juice) in it. Sauce can be either cooked or not, but is at least a puree if not actual liquid.

Here's some links for ya:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_(sauce)

Unlike fresh salsa cruda, these commercial jarred, canned, and bottled salsas typically have a semi-liquid texture more akin to that of canned tomatoes, and often resemble chunky commercial spaghetti sauces. So-called "chunky salsa" appears to currently be the most popular form of jarred salsa. More expensive brands tend to have more chunks of vegetables in them. Blended salsas such as Xerarch's Nice N' Hot Salsa have gained popularity due to their less watery consistancy and full flavor "chipability".

While some salsa fans decry these products as not real salsa cruda, their widespread availability and long shelf life are credited with much of salsa's enormous popularity in states outside of the southwest, especially in places where salsa is not a traditional part of the cuisine.

By: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/historyofsalsa.htm

History of Salsa
The word "salsa" is the Spanish word for sauce. The salsas many of us think of are salsa frescas or salsa cruda, fresh sauces served as a condiment aside a Mexican meal. These uncooked sauces might be pureed until smooth, semi-chunky, or the uniformly chopped pico de gallo.

-QS

so, i took
7 jamacian hots,
5 Serrano's,
1 whole large onion
1 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup of kidney beans
1/4 cup of celery
2 Big sweet red Bell Peppers
1 chicken cube
1 veggie cube
1 large can of tomatoes
1 freshly squeezed lime
a little salt / italian seasoning

so this was my first attempt at making anykind of hot sauce / salsa.
i blended them all together after cooking all the ingredients up...

it wasnt bad... i actually loved it... i was very happy with it... i knowit may sound like a wierd recipe but i just kinda winged it to be honest...

it was sweet, and had a really nice creeping heat to it that even made me sweat..lol

now what would you call that ?

a salsa or hot sauce ?

it was smooth and well blended...a little on the thick side..how would i make it thinner ? what would i add to it ?

oh nevermind... i just finished reading the rest of the thread...

i cant believe i didnt know that.... salsa in spanish is sauce....

and i'm italian, ha ha ha...

its a little confusing when people say i am making a salsa then say i am making a sauce... they are the same thing really, just some are cooked and blended and some are uncooked mainly for dipping chips into..

i can see clearly now... many thanks to all who replied...

Hotpeppa said:
so, i took
7 jamacian hots,
5 Serrano's,
1 whole large onion
1 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup of kidney beans
1/4 cup of celery
2 Big sweet red Bell Peppers
1 chicken cube
1 veggie cube
1 large can of tomatoes
1 freshly squeezed lime
a little salt / italian seasoning

so this was my first attempt at making anykind of hot sauce / salsa.
i blended them all together after cooking all the ingredients up...

it wasnt bad... i actually loved it... i was very happy with it... i knowit may sound like a wierd recipe but i just kinda winged it to be honest...

it was sweet, and had a really nice creeping heat to it that even made me sweat..lol

now what would you call that ?

a salsa or hot sauce ?

it was smooth and well blended...a little on the thick side..how would i make it thinner ? what would i add to it ?
Holy crap a cup of sugar!!!! There's your thickness problem, it must have been like maple syrup.

ha ha ha

it wasnt that bad for sweetness...

i'm only estimating, i didnt really measure it...

you know, a little of this and a little of that...ha ha ha

could of been less.. maybe 1/2 cup...

Back