• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Saurbraten!!

First thing I'd like to say is....

This thread is ALL Jay's fault!!:lol:

Went to the grocery store today on the hunt for ingredients for a killer sandwich.....but what I ended up with was a top round roast (london broil cut). I saw it in the meat case and had to have it.

Why?

SAURBRATEN!!! One of my favorite dishes of all time......and of course...I think my recipe is the best!

Here are the players:

100_1177.jpg

That's a 2 1/2 pound hunk-o-beef, cracked black pepper, sea salt, a half/head of minced fresh garlic, a red onion, apple cider vinegar, a whole bottle of Panola "hot sauce", some XXX powder, and Lea&Perrins white wine worchestire sauce. WOOP WOOP!!

Meat....seasoned and ready to go:

100_1179.jpg

Onion and garlic.....just before execution....

100_1182.jpg

........ ;-)

Minced and ready to go!

100_1184.jpg

All the good stuff plus a bit of oil......

100_1185.jpg

And here it is!!! Gettin' all happy.....

100_1186.jpg

Of course....it won't see the light of day till Sunday! :rofl:

Till then......you'll just have to imagine how good it'll taste.....with pickled red cabbage and hot German potatoes, and some crusty sourdough bread.......

Looking good Paul. I have to say though that they would kick me out of Lancaster County if I ever bought potato salad in a can! I don't think you can even buy that here. Of course I am in the heart of German/PA Dutch Country. Sauerbraten is terrific. I will be looking forward to your post.

JayT said:
Looking good Paul. I have to say though that they would kick me out of Lancaster County if I ever bought potato salad in a can! I don't think you can even buy that here. Of course I am in the heart of German/PA Dutch Country. Sauerbraten is terrific. I will be looking forward to your post.

Let me just say this....

If YOU have a recipe for a nice hot, vinegary, bacony :lol:, German potato salad.....I will add photos to the final build of me smashing those cans with a 16 pound maul.

Deal?

Amish Potato Salad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 c. raw bacon
1 onion, chopped
3 tbsp. flour
1 1/2 c. water
2/3 c. vinegar
1/2 c. parsley, minced
2/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. celery seed
6 c. almost done red potatoes, sliced

Saute onion and bacon together, then add flour and cook together for one or two minutes. Mix water, vinegar, parsley, sugar and celery seed and add to bacon mixture. Pour over almost done potatoes and bake for 45 minutes in a 375 degree oven.

Of course you would want to add whatever peppers or powder you want to make it hot.

JayT said:
Amish Potato Salad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 c. raw bacon
1 onion, chopped
3 tbsp. flour
1 1/2 c. water
2/3 c. vinegar
1/2 c. parsley, minced
2/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. celery seed
6 c. almost done red potatoes, sliced

Saute onion and bacon together, then add flour and cook together for one or two minutes. Mix water, vinegar, parsley, sugar and celery seed and add to bacon mixture. Pour over almost done potatoes and bake for 45 minutes in a 375 degree oven.

Of course you would want to add whatever peppers or powder you want to make it hot.

thehotpepper.com said:
Break out the hammer!

It's a deal!!! LOLOL!!!

Now, all I need to do is figure out how to post videos to Youtube...

When you cook that cabbage try adding a couple cloves, and take them out after cooking. Also add just about a teaspoon of honey. You may need a pinch of salt to balance that out. Try that and let me know if you like it.

I don't know what jarred stuff that is if it's already really sweet skip the honey.

thehotpepper.com said:
When you cook that cabbage try adding a couple cloves, and take them out after cooking. Also add just about a teaspoon of honey. You may need a pinch of salt to balance that out. Try that and let me know if you like it.

I don't know what jarred stuff that is if it's already really sweet skip the honey.

I will do that! I love clove as a seasoning/aromatic....Great idea!

Cool lemme know how you like it. It really makes the red cabbage.

Looks great!

VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO!!!!

As promised.....here's the destruction! Youtube is still finalizing it for quality (resolution) but it's still damn funny!

[video=youtube;nL5-Z3OMl9M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL5-Z3OMl9M[/video]

That was the funniest thing I have done in a LONG time! :rofl:

Awesome! Does your family think you're nuts... or we're nuts.

"Be right back. Gotta go smash this can of potato salad for thehotpepper.com. Oh, and where's my ammo? Come on kids!"

:rofl:

thehotpepper.com said:
Awesome! Does your family think you're nuts... or we're nuts.:rofl:

Retta definately thinks I'm crazy. My buddy,Tim, is a partner in crime. ;)

The twins are just happy to be destroying something!

paulky_2000 said:
:rofl:

House?

What house?
The one that looks like Swiss cheese.

It's Sunday... now bring on the meal!

thehotpepper.com said:
The one that looks like Swiss cheese.

It's Sunday... now bring on the meal!

Retta and Tim will be here shortly. The cabbage is getting happy with the cloves as we speak.

I will be cooking this sauerbraten in kind of a non-traditional way. I'm thinking that since I used a London broil cut, I shall broil it and slice it accordingly.

It's gonna be great!! :woohoo:

Back