• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Saving Potting Mix?

I have searched here, youtube and google and come up with either nothing or mixed answers so I wanted to ask here.
Can potting mix be "saved" for reuse next season?  If so, does it need to be stored in a container?
There are plenty of videos for replenishing used mix but I haven't found how and where to save it.

I have 25 #5 fabric containers that I would like to save the mix for reuse if it is possible.  As you all know, the mix wasn't cheap.

I realize there could be insects/eggs in the mix so would maybe black containers left in the sun to raise the temp be possible?

Any ideas or experiences are appreciated.

Thanks

I have a pepper plant in a container that's had something growing in it for 4 years now. The soil has only ever been disturbed to plant a new pepper each year and the old pepper was simply cut at the base with the root ball left in there.

It's an organic pot, so I've never but any fertiliser in their either. This year I didn't plant anything new but overwintered the pepper that was already in there - seems to be doing just fine so far

Tybo said:
Can potting mix be "saved" for reuse next season?  If so, does it need to be stored in a container?
There are plenty of videos for replenishing used mix but I haven't found how and where to save it.

I have 25 #5 fabric containers that I would like to save the mix for reuse if it is possible.  As you all know, the mix wasn't cheap.

I realize there could be insects/eggs in the mix so would maybe black containers left in the sun to raise the temp be possible?

Any ideas or experiences are appreciated.
Well, I miss read your inquiry and thought you wanted to know how to revive it so I just rebuilt this post.>Five Year Old Potting Soil Rejuvenation...Note PhotoBucket hijacked the pix?

If you look at this pic you can see how 5 years outside will deteriorate the media...

vr1mGPY.jpg

I never do anything to "overwinter" my media...

I save all my soil for the most part.  If i don't need it right away, I just mix it with the compost and prepare for later use.  If you don't have compost, you can solarize it in order to kill any eggs or bad bugs before using it again.  I'll usually do that by weighing down a plastic cover of sorts on it and keep it moist and in the sun for a month or so.  Then when I'm ready to use it I'll either add compost or some other nutrients to replenish it.  You can also plant cover crops in it to add nutrients.  The following cover crop mix has worked awesome for me the past two plus years.   https://buildasoil.com/products/clover-cover-crop-blend-13-seed-buildasoil-mix-40-clover?_pos=3&_sid=40e283248&_ss=r&variant=1040251460

Back