• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Saving Tomato Seeds

i have never saved tomato seeds but this year i bought a plant called Sweet, that's all it says, and true to its name, it is sweet and tasty. it is not a sweet 100, i have one beside it and though they appear very similiar, this Sweet is just has more robustness. i also have tumbler and red cherry but again this sweet is just a better product.

anywho, i plan on saving the seeds as the plant cost me $3.99 and that is not my normal practice, i usually buy a flat of 6 plants for $1 and if i can get them at .50 cents even better.

my question is, do i really have to put the seeds through the ferment process or can i just remove them from the pod, lay them out on a sheet and dry them, then store them away?

I am pretty sure they ferment to kill off any unwanted bacteria that could spread further on down the track.
If you had a healthy plant i would see it as a bit of overkill. Jmo other people would know more about it than myself!

It's easier to separate the seeds if you put them with the pulp into a cup and place them outside or the heat overnight or a day. Then strain. The seeds just separate from the pulp easier.

let them dry or you can wash them in a strainer and some patience... usually they have a pretty hard shell . i have tested seed not even half dried put them in soil and boom 1 week later 3 plant

Burning Colon, check out site below for seed saving info. I grow heirlooms and have been saving seed from my 2011 season using this method. My understanding is that this is for open pollinating varieties/ not hybrids.

tatianastomatobase.com

Hope this helps,

Buck

I do ferment mine, I thought it was to break down the membrane surrounding the seed and, as Nova said, prevent disease.
That said, my dad simply dries his and I don't think he's had any issues, his plants always look great.

thanks to all who responded. last week i just open-aired dried the seeds of the sweet, yesterday i fermented both the sweet and sweet 100's and have the seeds in 2 separate jars on my south facing window, so i can monitor the fungus mat.

How do you germinate tomato seeds? Can you do it the same way as you do chili seeds? I germinate my chilis in a plastic tub with cotton wool on the bottom and let them grow cotyledons before transplanting them - will that work for tomatoes as well?

How do you germinate tomato seeds? Can you do it the same way as you do chili seeds? I germinate my chilis in a plastic tub with cotton wool on the bottom and let them grow cotyledons before transplanting them - will that work for tomatoes as well?

Tomato seeds germ really easily. I start mine in tubs in seed raising mix and cover with a plastic bag until the hooks appear.
This last lot of 20 or so I put in all came up within 3 days.

Edit: Pics... These are just in normal potting mix because I'd run out :D
IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

I just use an incredibly ripe tomater to get seeds from and dry them on a piece of paper. They might take a little bit longer to germinate, but I get 8-9 out of 10 to sprout. I am too lazy to ferment them and it hasn't affected my garden one bit.

I like to spread on a paper towel, let dry and when it's dry... the pulp glues the seed to the towel. Just rip apart for easier handling...

tatiana's is an excellent resource!

i have grown op/heirloom tomatoes for 25+ years. here's my advice. if you don't intend to share seeds then don't bother to ferment them. i never used to and germination was ok but if you send seeds to others fermenting will ensure you don't pass diseases to them from your garden.

more importantly, what makes you think the tomato you bought is an open pollinated tomato? if it is then it will come true to type but if it is a hybrid tomato then you have no idea what you'll get, it may be like sweet or it may be very different. unless you bought it from a place that sells op tomatoes i'd assume it is a hybrid. if it is you can still grow it out but i suspect it will not be sweet like this year and if a cherry tomato it may be a bland patio or small oblate shape or something else. again there is no way to know what a hybrid will produce when grown from seeds. there are so many good sweet tomatoes that if you like sweet flavor chose an op and grow that variety and save seeds. i could recommend some but i'll hold off for now.

Hey BC,

Although probably not for organic folks, here's an alternative to fermenting your seeds. :idea:

i too have tried to ferment seeds this year and they never fermented ??? so i just left them... i bet theyve been in a cup for over a month... i have a feeling they still think they are in a tomato :) , and barely any mold has ever formed on the surface.

Why do you suppose this has happened? and do you figure the seeds might be still salvageable? just throw them on a paper towel and dry them normally?

i'm not trying to hijack this thread.... but maybe THP can help us both at the same time :) cheers

That's one reason I buy my seeds, less worries with Fungals, Bacterials, Blights Wilts,...etc.

I look for disease resistant varieties, and with the packs, its almost like lettuce seeds, you'll have so many extras that if stored correctly they'll last for a few yrs.

I have on occasion traveled to different countries, and have scraped the seeds from Tomatoes that were purchased at a local market. I rinced and separated in a strainer/ coffee filter and air dryed in a warm location. I haven't had any disease or germinating problems....although I wouldn't recommend it since there are more and more heirlooms and hybrids popping up at the seed companies......yours to choose...

Greg

my question is, do i really have to put the seeds through the ferment process or can i just remove them from the pod, lay them out on a sheet and dry them, then store them away?

i simply collect the seeds from the ripe tomatoes, wash them to get rid of any sticky pulp, then dry them under sun and then pack them in paper envelope

Back