• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer '14 - Seed Offer

A new season begins.  It's a work in progress, but here's my 2014 grow list as it now stands.  It will certainly have some additions as I'm still expecting some more acquisitions.  I hope it will have some deletions, too, because it's just too ridiculously long as it is now.  My hope is/was to grow at least 10 of each variety I grew and saved seeds from in 2013, in order to characterize the extent of cross pollination.  I may have to cut that back to 5 each, at least for some varieties.  Without further ado, here are the contenders:

2014:
7 Pots:

(3)Barrackpore
Brain Strain Yellow
Brain Strain Red
Brown (3 types)
Burgundy
Caramel
(3)Chocolate Barrackpore (2 types)
Congo SR Gigantic
(1,12)Douglah
Jonah
Large Red
Large Yellow
"not Red" (a serrano-/Inca Red Drop-shaped "not")
(5)Original Red
Peach
(5)Primo
(12)Red
(1,12)Yellow
(3,8,11)White

Trinidad Scorpions:
(5)Brown Moruga
(3,9)BubbleGum (2 types)
Butch T
CARDI
(6)Chocolate
(1,12)Red
Red Moruga/Moruga Blend
(3)Sweet
(5,12)Yellow Moruga/Moruga Blend
Yellow Original

Jolokias:
(12)Assam
(8)Black Naga
(3)BOC
Brown Bhut
(8) Giant Bhut
Naga King
(1,12)Naga Morich
"not white" Yellow Bhut
Orange Bhut
(8)Purple Bhut
Red Bhut
White Bhut
(1,12)Yellow Bhut

Crosses:
(8)D'Bhut (7P Douglah x BJ)
(4)Elysium Oxide Bonnet
(3,8)Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
(3)Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
(1,6)FG Jigsaw
(1,7)Funky Reaper
(3)Madballz
(1,6,7)Reaper
(8)Sepia Serpent
Long Smooth Red
Spicy Bell

Manzano/Rocoto/Locoto:
(8)Manzano Amarillo
(2)Orange Manzano (2 types)
(2)Orange Locoto
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano
(11)Giant Mexican Rocoto

Bonnets/Habaneros:
(2,3)Bahamian Goat
(2,3)Bonda Ma Jacques
Brown SB
Brown Congo
(9)Freeport Orange SB (Bahamian Goat?)
Giant White Hab
(12)JA Hot Choc Hab
Large Yellow-orange Hab (not GWH)

MoA SB
Orange Hab
(8)Snow White
Yellow Hab
White Bullet Hab

Other:
Datil
Yellow Fatalii
(8)White Fatalii
(3,8)White Devil's Tongue

Jalapeños:
(9)Ciclón
(9)Colima
Early
Pinata
(9)Tajin

Hatch-style:
(10)Heritage Big Jim
(10)Heritage 6-4

Miscellaneous:
Alma Paprika
Amarillo Chiltepin

(3)Blonde
(3)Brown Egg
(9)Chimayo
(9)Devil Serrano
(9)Fish
(3)GA Black
(3)Hungarian Hot Cherry
Large Red Hot Cherry
Pimenta de Neyde
(1,3)Tobago Treasure
(3)Trinidad Cherry
Trinidad Seasoning
(4)Tepin
(11)Orchid/Bishop's Crown
(4,11)Goat's Weed
(11)Brazilian Starfish
(11)Mako Akokasrade
(11)Bull's Heart

Ornamentals:
(10)NuMex Twilight
Chilly Chilli (F2)

Seeds from:
(1) - My own 2013 Grow (as are all otherwise unmarked entries)
(2) - PaulG
(3) - GA. Growhead
(4) - capsidadburn
(5) - PepperLover
(6) - Baker Creek
(7) - Devv
(8) - gnslngr
(9) - meatfreak
(10) - CPI
(11) - PL
(12) - MGOLD86

By my count, that's around 75 82 varieties, not counting the TBDs and expected new acquisitions. :shocked:  I have more space available for in-grounds in the garden now, and also plan to expand the potted plant grow area.  I plan to add some enhancements this year, in terms of custom lighting for stage 2 growth (3.5" square pots), isolation techniques, cap-based repellents, and more.  Stay tuned to see what actually happens. :rolleyes:

Edited list 1/5/14.
Edited list 1/19/14
Edited list 3/2/14, additions=blue, deletions=strike-through

Yeah, that's the place.  I realize I just pasted the link into my text instead of embedding it.  I guess THP doesn't like pasted links.  I'll edit the post to embed the link.  I am considering large quantities, and I can beat their prices on that substantially.  By the time I break them down to smaller packages and everything, the per pound price works out only a little better.  I'm not looking to make a lot, but I do have to cover some of my time and expenses.

Maybe you should present the idea to the hunt camp fellows that a winter cover crop doubles as a wildlife plot.  How could they not want to attract game right to the camp?

I don't use any herbicides at all, so I can't offer any advice on that.  My garden requires constant effort and I'm still losing out to the Johnson grass in a couple of spots.  This is another case where cover crops can help, by smothering weeds.  Not just in winter, but any time.  Over time, the weeds will become less of a problem.  Also, this is the main reason I'm trying to get native ground covers going in my garden.  Chickweed and wild bean are the two that are becoming pretty well established, but I also have seed for wild purslane.  I let yellow wood sorrel grow, but as far as I can tell, it neither helps nor hurts much in the garden.  It's good to eat a few leaves or pods as a thirst quencher.  Have you considered using a heavy mulch to keep weeds suppressed?  You could use plastic, but I'm not a big fan of that.  Kraft paper is pretty cheap and decays into the ground over the course of a season.

The garden is literally right behind the house and I am sire it would attract deer there they are old school there to in the hunting respect. I have been trying for 10 yrs now to get food plots going but have zero help.

If it were irrigated I would use a black plastic mulch, its 100% reliant on mother nature for water since our ancient hand dug well doesn't even keep up with the toilet and dish washing most the time. I will probably be using the woven mats next year along with a test area using corn gluten to suppress growth after transplanting the peppers. Hauling or buying bark mulch down there just isn't an option. But the matting is not cheap when considering the size of the garden but the best option. I only planted 1 125' row with I think 36 plants. Spacing wasn't an issue and I can easily make more rows, its just a matter of germing enough and keeping them going before plant out time which is the crux of my operation in that I am gone for 3 weeks at a time and rely on my wife to keep things going while gone.

It is but I cannot complain too much. Happy to have a little assistance even if it is rare and not quite enough. Peppers and really most everything else we throw in the ground there thrives. Wish I could have a bit more time and control of that piece of land, will keep trying to make improvements on my own.

You might consider looking into the comfrey a few of us have or are trying to have.  If it thrives, it would provide mulch for you on site.  And the Bocking strains are sterile, so you don't have to worry about it spreading by seed.

Another review from John's garden.
This time Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion.

Apologies for the poor lighting.
I'll probably be getting a new camera setup in the near future.
-Wes

Thanks for the review, Wes.  I haven't actually tried a JPGS yet, but after your review, I am slightly less unnerved by the prospect.

I picked a giant yellow something today that I'll try to get a picture of up tomorrow.  I still haven't got a feel for what's what in the chinense patch without notes, but I think this one is supposed to be Yellow BS.  It looks more like a giant Scorpion. 

Yes, it's a Scorpion, a rather large one, at that.  That's my MacBook touch pad it's on.
344b639.jpg

9fv0bl.jpg

It has the typical Yellow Scorpion fragrance, flavor and heat.

Some time ago, I harvested the shallots, potato onions, and elephant garlic.  They have been "curing" under a shade tree on pizza boxes, not the best approach, I know.  They've all been rained on multiple times, which is not desirable for curing.  Here's what they look like.  First up, shallots:
efiiyv.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see new roots on some of them.  I hadn't been turning them often and the ones on the bottom of the pile had already begun to root.  These will be fall planted soon, with the more dormant ones being stored for spring.  I think I have enough now actually to start using some of them, which is the whole point, really.

Potato Onions:
28lbati.jpg

They look similar to the shallots, but typically grow with each bulblet a separate "unwrapped" entity joined at the base with others to form the bulb, whereas the shallot cloves grow more like garlic, with several contained within a single outer wrapper, if that makes any sense.  The big difference is in the flavor.  The potato onions taste just like a regular, strong-flavored (i.e., hot) onion.

Elephant Garlic:
3010jeb.jpg

The e-garlic apparently is more sensitive to the limited sunlight reaching through the shade.  I think all that greening would limit the storage performance.  It's okay, though, because all of these are getting planted soon.  This picture shows a common issue with elephant garlic.  If conditions aren't optimal, sometimes a planted clove will not produce a multi-clove bulb, but instead just becomes a large, singlet bulb.  I posted a picture of one cut open up-thread somewhere; they don't have onion-like layering, just a solid mass of garlic. 

We hung our garlic, shallots, and onions on a sausage drying rack that's seen its better days in the shade on the porch. After the tops were completely brown we cut the roots and tops off.

A nice breeze blows through there, and they cured nicely. We're still eating the June harvests. One thing we have trouble with is the Shallots, they just don't keep here. They either rot or just dry up and go away.

Any ideas?

Devv said:
We hung our garlic, shallots, and onions on a sausage drying rack that's seen its better days in the shade on the porch. After the tops were completely brown we cut the roots and tops off.

A nice breeze blows through there, and they cured nicely. We're still eating the June harvests. One thing we have trouble with is the Shallots, they just don't keep here. They either rot or just dry up and go away.

Any ideas?

It could be the variety.  I've had others that didn't last well at all.  I got my start for these as two lonely cloves from a favorite bar tender, Rose, who got them from her mother.  I call them Rose's Shallots, though they are possibly some other well-known variety.  Those two cloves, I planted in the spring four or five years ago.  They each grew fairly well for a late planting and I left them in the ground until they started sprouting that fall.  I dug them up, one had 15 cloves sprouted, the other 16, separated and replanted them, and the race was on.  I subject them to a lot of stress, always keeping the best survivors for replanting.  If something like this won't store through the winter, it's no use to me and I'll look for a different variety.  I can send you a few cloves of these, if you want to give them a try.

Another possibility is maybe you dig them too soon?  I never dig them until the tops are already brown.  Sometimes they're so far gone, I can't tell where the plants were and have to dig the whole row, turning up jewels of shallot here and there.

I will say, I've had the same problems as you, but on a lesser scale, I guess.  I keep them overwinter in a cardboard box in a corner of the kitchen and some of them always turn to dry husks, but only a few.  If I'm paying sufficient attention, I can catch them when they first start getting soft and then they're still good for cooking.  I like to think it's a self-correcting problem; the ones that don't keep, don't get planted.

My 7 Pot Primo is doing well:
kb69y.jpg

It doesn't look quite like I remember from last year, but I think it will do.

It stormed here yesterday, lots of wind, thunder and lightning.  Got maybe 2.5" - 3" of rain the garden didn't need.  I haven't looked today, but am half way expecting the whole pepper patch to be on the ground.

I planted 15 root crowns and 5 root pieces of comfrey (Bocking #4) yesterday.  I had delayed a few days after receiving the package and they had already started growing.
2zqhpq9.jpg

I know my HH shipment is en-route. I used Paypal for Coe's because I had a balance. Paypal sent me proof of payment, but I haven't heard a thing from Coe's. Is this how he normally does things?

I read up on propagation on the Comfrey. Pretty basic stuff, dig up a plant and separate the the crowns, replant.

Primo looks mean!

Yeah, he doesn't do email.  He'll call whatever phone # you have listed on Paypal, possibly once to acknowledge the order, then for sure to let you know when the order ships.

The comfrey crowns I planted on Wednesday are coming up today.  And the pepper patch survived the windstorm.  It came from the NE (which is where the worst storms come from around here) and the patch is protected on that side by a wall of bamboo.

Glad to see things moving along color-wise, John.

Awesome Scorpion specimen, bro - that pod is HUGE!

I should have some pics up of pods from your seeds very soon.
They are some of the most productive in my grow this year,
especially the yellow Bhut and 7 Pot Burgundy.  There were some
nice pods on the Reapers, red and peach, but some of the plants
from the first round were small for some reason, the Reapers included.

Have fun harvesting, buddy!

Sawyer said:
The comfrey crowns I planted on Wednesday are coming up today.  And the pepper patch survived the windstorm.  It came from the NE (which is where the worst storms come from around here) and the patch is protected on that side by a wall of bamboo.

Mine came in today from both companies, and all of them are sprouting, except the "bonus" root cuttings. I put them in 1 gallon pots until I can get in the garden, it poured here last night :D

Back