• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer's 2013 Glog - Last Harvest/First Sauce

I haven't done a grow log before, but thought I'd give it a try this year. I'm growing mostly super hots, so I feel like I'm already behind schedule. Anyone know where January went? No pictures yet, I'll add some later when things (hopefully) start popping.

My setup is a basic home-made 2-tier 1" PVC plant stand. Each tier can accommodate 4 standard 1020 nursery flats and has three 2-bulb T-12 4' 40W fluorescent shop lights suspended above. The bulbs are a mix of Daylight, Wide Spectrum, and Power Twist. (I can't give you a K rating on these off the top of my head.) I use heater mats to try to keep the flats in the comfort zone for germination. They are wired to a dimmer switch so I can adjust the current. Even with the dimmer switch, in the past I've had trouble keeping uniform temperature, so this year I've put a layer of aluminum foil on top of the mats to spread out the heat and a layer of kraft paper on top of that. The flats go directly on the kraft paper. If anyone has any tips or tricks for controlling the temperature of heater mats (without purchasing an expensive thermostat), I'd love to hear about it.

I use standard 1020 nursery trays with 1206 (72-cell) inserts. I filled the inserts to planting depth with Sushine Mix #1 and planted anywhere from 2 (new) to 4 (old) seeds per cell. I then topped off the trays with some peat-based germination mix. I intended to use Fafard 3b germination mix, but didn't want to open a new bag for only four flats. I had a small bag of Miracle Grow and one of Ferry Morse left over from days past so I used one of those, I forget which.

The germination stand is in a back room in the warmest part of the house. As plants geminate and become established they'll be moved, either in whole flats, or potted out separately, to a 3-tier, 5 flat/tier stand in front of a bright picture window on the south side of the house. No lights on that yet and may not need them since the window gets direct sun for several hours per day. I'll be starting a lot of other seeds besides hot peppers, so I can't just leave them on the heater mats 'til plant out.

I started four flats today, one whole flat of self-propagated, pure-strain red Bhut Jolokia and up to 12 cells each of the following (note - I prefer the term 7 Pot to 7pod, but am keeping the 7pod nomenclature here out of deference to the vendor):

(First parenthesis is # of plants from first planting on 2/11, second is # plants/# soaked on 3/4)

Red Bhut Jolokia (my own isolated) (75)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) (0)
Brown Bhut Jolokia (PL) (1)
White Bhut Jolokia (PL) (8), (15/20)
Yellow Fatalii (RFC) (11), (6/10)
Giant White Habanero (RFC) (7)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (PL) (10), (28/35)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (RFC) (14)
T. Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend Yellow (PL) (6), (19/25)
T. 7pod Congo SR Gigantic (PL) (9), (2/7)
T. 7pod Large Red (PL) (4)
T. 7pod Large Yellow (PL) (1)
T. 7pod Brain Strain (PL) (10), (2/9)
T. 7pod Brain Strain Yellow (PL) (4), (11/12)
T. 7pod Brown (PL) (17)
T. 7pod Burgundy (PL) (8)
T. Douglah (PL) (5), (4/20)
T. Scorpion Butch T. (PL) (7)
T. Scorpion Yellow (PL) (18)
T. Scorpion Original Strain (PL) (1)
T. Seasoning (PL) (4)

New strains/sources started on 3/4:
Red Bhut Jolokia (PL) (45/50)
Scotch Bonnet Brown (PL) (22/34)
'12 7 Pot Yellow (RFC) (0/11)
'12 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate (PL) (0/14)
Datil (PL) (7/22)
Bhut Jolokia Orange (PL) (15/20)
T. Scorpion CARDI (PL) (7/20)
Tobago Treasure (PL) (8/20)

Started on 3/6:
Red Bhut Jolokia (own isolated) (>50)
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (CPI) (13)
NuMex Pinata (CPI) (40)
White Bullet Hab (PL) (13)

Unrecorded plant date:
Orange Hab (PL) (2)
TS Cardi (PL) (7)
Dorset Naga (PL) (5)

Started on 3/25:
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) - 8/?
Long Choco Habanero (AjiJoe) - 17/42
Pimenta da Neyde (PL) - 14/30
Giant Mexican Rocoto (PL) - 0/40
CAP 1144 (PL) - 0/21
(old) Yellow Habanero (Trade Winds) - 0/24
(old) Jamaican Red Mushroom (RFC) - 0/18
Trinidad Congo Red (PL) - 10/12
Datil (PL) - 9/22 (4 hh)
7 Pot Primo (PL) - 5/18
Early Jalapeno (PL) - 19/36
Cracked Jalapeno (PL) - 33/36
Large Hot Cherry (PL) - 33/36
Surprise Hot Mix (AjiJoe) - 97/144

Edit 4/3: add sources PL=pepperlover, RFC=Refining Fire Chiles, CPI=Chile Pepper Institute
Edit 4/3: (in blue)
Edit 4/29: Edit title (again)

Sawyer not sure if you’re tried Bacillus thuringiensis? As you know I had horn worm issues as well, after hand picking loads of worms, squishing and killing well over 50 eggs I gave it a shot as I had an inexpensive bag from last year. Well they dropped off the plants like flies and haven’t seen any in weeks. This beats all the time consuming close inspections I had to do daily … now if I can find something organic like this to rid the mites and aphids I’ll be a happy camper, lolz.

Nice Awesome updates with great pictures mon, love seeing you have pods \o/ and I’m guessing you’ll soon be harvesting plenty! Keep up dis great ting mon!

Edit: BTW I origionally purchased it for nematodes but Rick suggested using it for hornworms so I give him credit. Didn't work for nematodes last year but never tossed it and it's cheap IIRC

Sawyer said:
Oh, yeah!  Got about another 1/4" of rain today!  I think in just about every direction from here, they got more.  There's something weird about the lay of the land here.  I've seen typical storms coming from the West split in two and go North and South of me.  Lately weather has not been typical, but the bulk of the rain has been missing me.  That also means, the tornadoes miss me and the worst of the winter weather, too, so I'm not complaining (too much).  As long as my well holds out, I'm happy.  (Ecstatic, even, with the low temperatures we've been having.
 We're up over 1" for the last three days, and I'm waiting for it to stop right now so I can go pick.

We have here what LB and I call the Devine split...and so do a lot of the locals, it does just as you describe except they go East and West. This usually happens when a nice cell is headed straight for us.

WalkGood said:
Sawyer not sure if you’re tried Bacillus thuringiensis? As you know I had horn worm issues as well, after hand picking loads of worms, squishing and killing well over 50 eggs I gave it a shot as I had an inexpensive bag from last year. Well they dropped off the plants like flies and haven’t seen any in weeks. This beats all the time consuming close inspections I had to do daily … now if I can find something organic like this to rid the mites and aphids I’ll be a happy camper, lolz.

Nice Awesome updates with great pictures mon, love seeing you have pods \o/ and I’m guessing you’ll soon be harvesting plenty! Keep up dis great ting mon!

Edit: BTW I origionally purchased it for nematodes but Rick suggested using it for hornworms so I give him credit. Didn't work for nematodes last year but never tossed it and it's cheap IIRC

Studied BT in college.  Does a bag have a mix of strains, or is it single strain?  Reason I ask, the reason it was a hotly researched topic was the specificity of organisms that it attacked.  Each strain only attacked a single type of organism, so it was viewed as a good way to target the bads.  Then I heard that they were trying to develop chimeric strains that could attack more than one type of organism . . .

WalkGood said:

Thanks, Ramon.  I've not tried Bt, not recently anyway.  I have spread milky spore (Bacillus popilliae) around a few times to combat the Japanese beetles that used to ravage my blackberries (among other things).  Apparently it is now established in my soil, because I've seen very few of the beetles for the last couple of years.  I only had the one bout of hornworms, so now I'm just trying to keep a sharp eye on things.  I hear you about the mites and aphids.  I saw a brachonid wasp flying around a plant that has a few aphids, so maybe that will help there and with any future hornworm issues.

Devv said:
 We're up over 1" for the last three days, and I'm waiting for it to stop right now so I can go pick.

We have here what LB and I call the Devine split...and so do a lot of the locals, it does just as you describe except they go East and West. This usually happens when a nice cell is headed straight for us.
Hi, Scott.  What moisture I got the other day is mostly gone now.  I'm hopeful we'll get some more soon; here's the forecast for the coming week:

ixumtf.png

Trippa said:
Nice to hear you are getting some much needed rain ... Enjoy!!
Hey, Trippa, thanks for stopping in.  The rain was nice while it lasted.  Hoping for more.

chsy83 said:

Studied BT in college.  Does a bag have a mix of strains, or is it single strain?  Reason I ask, the reason it was a hotly researched topic was the specificity of organisms that it attacked.  Each strain only attacked a single type of organism, so it was viewed as a good way to target the bads.  Then I heard that they were trying to develop chimeric strains that could attack more than one type of organism . . .
Hi, Charles, thanks for visiting.  I think the kurstaki strain is effective against hornworms, though I'm not certain of that.  I wish I knew how to grow?/produce?/whatever Bt.  It seems like a good business to get into.

I posted some pictures of my Reapers over in the community grow glog, so I thought I might as well post them here, too.  They are young plants, yet, but pretty healthy.  These are from seed from PuckerButt:
mc9ekm.jpg

These are from Refining Fire Chiles:
34fy5us.jpg

And these are from Pepper Joe:
xo1q37.jpg

I have one of these in a #1 pot, but I've temporarily misplaced it amongst all the other pots.

Thanks, guys.  Here's a (blurry) picture from today of the 7P Congo SR Gigantic shown back in post #429.  It will be ready soon.
2n7k1w0.jpg

I put more plants in the dirt today.  In addition to the 27 that have been there awhile, I now have about 85 more.  Some of them are literally green sticks with no leaves (water-logging and/or sow bugs) and most went straight from germination flats to the ground, so it's going to be awhile before they stand for a group photo.  About 15 or so are considerably bigger so they may show up on here sooner.  I have at least as many more yet to set out and the weather is cooperating.  It turned cloudy this afternoon around 4:00, cooled off a bit (less than 90ºF/32ºC), and sprinkled just a few drops.

I haven't counted all the ones in pots, but it's a bunch.  I'll post a photo of them before the weekend is over.

Awesome pics Sawyer! Your weather is beautiful for growing chiles bro! The Reapers are coming along nicely along with your eaten up OW's. Damn pests! The pod shots look awesome! Glad I checked in, things look good!

Hi Buzz
   Awesome that you got some rain for a few days, but never enough, eh? Things are coloring up nicely for you. I guess the hot, dry weather has to be good for something. Cheers!

Thanks, guys and gals.  I took some pictures today, but it was drizzling and since the camera had been in A/C, the lens fogged up when I took it outside.  The pictures didn't show much detail.  I'll try again tomorrow. 

Yesterday I isolated a row of about 5 or 6 Moruga Scorpion plants (seed source RFC) with row cover.  The plants are loaded up with buds.  Hopefully the row cover doesn't interfere with them going ahead and openings up.  I also fabricated some bags out of row cover and bagged one limb each of brown Douglah, burgundy Douglah, giant white Habanero, and either a TS yellow original or a Brainstrain yellow, I forget which at the moment.

We had a steady, light drizzle here for a few hours today.  I don't think it added up to much, but it made for a perfect transplanting day.  I set out, into the garden, 6 each white and orange Bhut Jolokia, 4 Alma Paprika, 2 Dorset Naga, 2 Primo, and 3 King Naga.  Except for the orange BJ, which were still in the germination flat, all the rest were in 3.5" pots and so had at least a little size to them.  With the moderate temperatures and partly cloudy conditions predicted for the next few days, I think they'll take to the ground quite readily.

I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

I should add to yesterday's post, I also set out 7 TS Yellow Original plants into the garden.  The weather has been so mild here, and I'm so late with things, I'm putting more into dirt and fewer into pots than I had originally planned.  Anyway, here are some pictures from today:

A group shot of most of the potted plants:
30vki2u.jpg

They are an assortment of several varieties.  The bagged plant on the right is a TS Yellow Original, I think (maybe Yellow BS, just can't remember to check the tag), and the bagged plant on the left is a Giant White Habanero.  I chose this spot in anticipation of triple digit temperatures and drought conditions, but the way things have been, this location is too shady.  They could stand way more sun than they get here.  The shot is toward the WSW and the plants get morning sun 'til about noon, then mostly shade the rest of the day.  I've got another spot picked out that will give them more sun, but I need to mow it first.  The pots in the back right of the frame are mostly a variety of hops plus one ginger plant.  The clay pots in front are shallots that just keep going and going.

This is a shot of the original 27 plants set out back in May:
vculw9.jpg

The tent is covering a row of 5 or 6 Moruga Scorpion (RFC).  The bagged plant on the right is a 7P Brown (I mistakenly called this a Douglah somewhere up-thread.  It's the one showing purple coloration and that got eaten by a deer.)  The bagged plant on the left is a 7P Burgundy.  There are also Douglah, RBJ, RBS, and maybe something else in that "pepper hedge" on the left.  The small plants in front of the tent are TS CARDI that were set out after I harvested the shallots.  The alliums in the foreground are shallots and potato onions that are taking a long time to mature.  The stalks are starting to fall over, so it won't be long now.

I have very few pods from the early crop, but I found this on one of the RBJ plants:

2je6546.jpg

Me likey.

This is a close up of the 7P Brown mentioned above, showing some of the purple coloration in the stems:
3502tz9.jpg

And finally, this is a shot down into a 7P Burgundy.  This is typical of what I'm seeing on the bigger plants.  Pretty good pod set, I think.
rshg0n.jpg

Thanks, Rick.  First frost is usually somewhere around the middle of October.  Last year it was a little earlier on Oct 7.  That's for first light frost.  Average first hard freeze (28ºF) is Nov 1, and last year it was Oct 27.  According to NOAA.  So I should have at least more than 60 days to go and possibly as many as 90.  Plenty of time, other conditions cooperating.

Thanks, Shane.  The Creapers are the next to go in the garden, 3 each of the PB, PJ, and RFC.  I'll keep two each of the PB and RFC in the pots.  I found the missing #1 pot PJ Reaper and it is not a happy camper.  I remember, it had a massive root system for such a small plant, but above ground it just looks drowned (and in this instance anyway, that's not the case).  The other three PJs are less healthy than the other two sources, too.  I don't know if there was some difference in conditions or a difference in seed quality or what.  I thought I was giving them all the same conditions.

I'll have a few more of those whole-row isolation tents before it's over.  Once the row cover is removed, I'll leave the frames in place to cover with plastic when the cold weather gets here.  That should buy me another couple of weeks of grow time, at least, if I'm lucky.

Looking good Sawyer.  It will be interesting to see how your Creapers turn out.  My one plant ended up being the Bhut style, though very gnarly looking.  And nice pod on that RBJ :)

Correction - the TS Yellow Original plants I mentioned above are, in fact, Red Bhut Jolokia.  I had a brain cramp.

poypoyking said:
Looking good Sawyer.  It will be interesting to see how your Creapers turn out.  My one plant ended up being the Bhut style, though very gnarly looking.  And nice pod on that RBJ :)
Thanks, Ben.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the CRs produce.  I set out three each from PB, PJ, and RFC seeds today.  They were just starting to get root bound in 3.5" square pots, so it might be pushing it to get production from those this year, but I have two each from PB and RFC in #1 pots that are already a good bit bigger.

I harvested that 7PCSRG pictured above and took a tiny nibble out of the end.  Holy hell, how do you people eat those things?!?  It's way hotter than the RBJ pod I picked earlier.  I did notice the flavor was different than the BJ.  In fact, my first impression was that it was somewhat similar to an over ripe habanero, but then the heat hit me before I could refine that impression.  I took another nibble later, but was so freaked out anticipating the coming blast of heat I forgot to pay attention to the flavor.  Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

While I was planting the Creapers in the garden, I heard a noise behind me and looked over my shoulder to see a red fox no more than 12 feet away, sizing me up.  As soon as I looked, it turned tail and high-tailed it back into the bamboo thicket.  Not a chance of getting a picture, sorry.  I'm happy to see it there, though.  That probably explains the absence of rabbits (I've seen one all season) and rogue chickens from the neighbors (I've seen three piles of feathers).  I'm trying, but not having pets or livestock, I can't really see a downside to having a fox hanging out.  Can any of you?

Back